Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/259/160

Height: 5'8"

Question Points for fruit in smoothies?

I've always believed that fruits were "free" on Weight Watchers, so the other day I made myself a smoothie with about 1 1/2 cups of fruit, a little bit of yogurt, and some water. I was all proud of myself and posted my smoothie online, so happy that is was only 2 points.(The points of the yogurt)

Several people messaged me saying that the smoothie was actually 5-6 points, and that fruit is not "free" when it's mixed with other ingredients. I was told by several WW members that you have to put the ingredients into the recipe builder to get the "true" points.

Is this for real? Does this mean that if I make a slushie with frozen fruit and a can of diet soda, I have to count the points of the fruit just because I've mixed it with something?

I am a current member of WW online and have never gone to the meetings, so I don't have a leader I can ask.

Thanks!
pinkmonkeyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #2  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Height: 5'8"

I.would.not count the fruit as points. We talked about this at our meeting and our leader said that was.fine. You do want to make sure you count it as 3 fruit servings. Fruit is free but eating too much fruit ,.like 8-10 servings will slow your weight loss.
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

I'm late to respond, but thought I'd post this snippet from the WW website. It's not a clear yes/no answer but gives some insight to fruits and veggies in a recipe:

Quote:
When I add fruit to the recipes I create in the Recipe Builder, it counts PointsPlus values for it! I thought fruit was zero?
Just as we've always done with 0 PointsPlus value vegetables, 0 PointsPlus value fresh fruits contribute toward the total PointsPlus values of a recipe, whether it's a Weight Watchers recipe or one you build yourself in the Recipe Builder.

The technical explanation is that because recipes are calculated based on the total grams of fat, fiber, protein and carbs for all their ingredients. As one poster on the Message Boards, DANI_THE_GECKO, sagely points out: “The recipe builder only knows that you input nutritional information. It does not know if it's fruit, green beans or heavy cream."

But why do we do it this way? There are a couple of very good reasons why we count fruits and veggies in our recipes:

Our recipes often appear in articles and magazines nationally, so we need to provide the calories and nutrient content, as many recipes published elsewhere do.
Once vegetables and fruit are elements in a prepared recipe, the experience of eating them changes. Few people overeat carrots — but they might overeat carrot cake.

If your “recipe" is truly just a few pieces of fruit, then you might want to record it in your Tracker as separate items or as a “meal" — the latter looks at each item separately and then adds up all the PointsPlus values. Because all the items have 0 PointsPlus values, the total will also be zero.

Are there situations when I need to count PointsPlus values for fruit?

No, not for fresh fruit. Yes, fruit does have calories, and it contains fiber and other nutrients. But we’re assuming that you’ll eat a certain amount of fresh and other unsweetened fruit (veggies, too) each day, and have taken that into account when giving you your daily PointsPlus Target.

All fruit is 0 PointsPlus values when it's fresh, unsweetened frozen, canned in its juice and drained, or with artificial sweeteners. What if you peel it? Yep — as long as it’s unadorned, it’s still zero. (Again, same for veggies.)

You do need to count PointsPlus values when there's added sugar, such as fruit in syrup or in juice, or when there's less water content, as with dried fruit.
Hope this helps!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote