Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #1  

Default How long have you been able to keep the weight off?

Hi All,

I am considering undergoing the Ideal Protein Diet that was recommended to me by my chiropractor. I am convinced that it seems to work for most people, but I am wondering if it will be possible to keep the weight off long term? Is there anyone who has been able to successfully maintain their goal weight for 1-2 years after completing the diet? And is this maintenance an arduous task of calorie counting and a lot of restrictions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time! And good luck to everyone with your health goals.
Lunechene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

The maintainers thread is something you might want to read.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-vol-10-a.html
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289 / see tracker / 160

Height: 5'7"

My sister-in-law has maintained her weight for over 2 years and she was the inspiration for my starting this diet
itzconni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Interesting question, I love it
I have 2 friends that went n this diet in 2012. Both were thin till summer 2012. They basically maintained through the summer, so maybe three months. Saw them at a party last month, and unfortunately they both looked like they gained allot back. I would say they both gained at least 20 back.
My coach was on the diet in 2011, she showed me oictures of how she looked, and she really isnt like that now. Shes gained at least 20 back as well. I am really afraid of getting off the diet and maintaining due to these examples. I was told by one friend that she did Phase 1 allot when she was maintaining. that doesnt sound fun
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #5  

I think it's fair to say that this weight-loss diet is similar to others out there in helping to get the weight off (although IP seems to see more rapid results). But Maintenance is a life long commitment and is inherently methodical, and can be arduous until you incorporate it as a lifestyle.

Speaking to "success" - On my first round doing IP, I lost a substantial amount of weight but did not reach goal (by choice) before phasing off. I maintained that loss for a few months, then stopped exercising due to an injury, gained a few more but held steady. Months later, life got emotional, old behaviors kicked in and the scale soared. I didn't gain it all back, not by a long shot, but enough to reach the OMG point and I'm back for round two.

I've read many blogs over the past year...runners blogs, paleo blogs, vegan blogs, stay at home mom blogs, etc. Most folks who live inside a healthy body are very conscious of what they use to fuel their bodies.

All that said, I don't think it's about the success or failure of IP necessarily, it's about how we do life after the weight comes off. IP is great for getting it off, it gives you the tools to success during Maintenance...the rest is up to us.
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #6  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Poles1Girl View Post
All that said, I don't think it's about the success or failure of IP necessarily, it's about how we do life after the weight comes off. IP is great for getting it off, it gives you the tools to success during Maintenance...the rest is up to us.
I totally agree with you.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #7  
Started IP 1/1/13

S/C/G: 132/See Ticker/118

Height: 5'4"

My mom had kept off all except about 3 pounds for a year. She is currently doing the annual "Pancreas Reset" where you do a short duration on each phase and the 3 has already come off. She's the reason I decided to do IP; it's hard to lose the weight, but it's even harder to keep it off.
PacNW IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I work with four women who have kept the weight off after Ideal Protein for 2 years.

Ideal Protein is a fantastic program to get the weight off quickly - however success in maintenance depends on the person's ability to change the way they eat for the LONG term. You cannot drop the weight quickly and then expect to be able to eat the way you used to - or eat thoughtlessly. Especially if you were overweight for a long time, or morbidly obese, your body isn't going to want to stay thin on its own. IP doesn't turn you into a "naturally thin" person who can eat what they want whenever they want.

The good news is, the weight loss phase of IP is fairly simple - which gives you plenty of time to learn good portioning and get used to eating LOTS of veggies (something that will carry through to maintenance). IP also has a really good phase-off plan that eases you back into "long term" eating. If you follow through it all thoughtfully, you will be well equipped to keep your weight off.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Poles1Girl View Post
I think it's fair to say that this weight-loss diet is similar to others out there in helping to get the weight off (although IP seems to see more rapid results). But Maintenance is a life long commitment and is inherently methodical, and can be arduous until you incorporate it as a lifestyle.

Speaking to "success" - On my first round doing IP, I lost a substantial amount of weight but did not reach goal (by choice) before phasing off. I maintained that loss for a few months, then stopped exercising due to an injury, gained a few more but held steady. Months later, life got emotional, old behaviors kicked in and the scale soared. I didn't gain it all back, not by a long shot, but enough to reach the OMG point and I'm back for round two.

I've read many blogs over the past year...runners blogs, paleo blogs, vegan blogs, stay at home mom blogs, etc. Most folks who live inside a healthy body are very conscious of what they use to fuel their bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I totally agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW IP View Post
My mom had kept off all except about 3 pounds for a year. She is currently doing the annual "Pancreas Reset" where you do a short duration on each phase and the 3 has already come off. She's the reason I decided to do IP; it's hard to lose the weight, but it's even harder to keep it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I work with four women who have kept the weight off after Ideal Protein for 2 years.

Ideal Protein is a fantastic program to get the weight off quickly - however success in maintenance depends on the person's ability to change the way they eat for the LONG term. You cannot drop the weight quickly and then expect to be able to eat the way you used to - or eat thoughtlessly. Especially if you were overweight for a long time, or morbidly obese, your body isn't going to want to stay thin on its own. IP doesn't turn you into a "naturally thin" person who can eat what they want whenever they want.

The good news is, the weight loss phase of IP is fairly simple - which gives you plenty of time to learn good portioning and get used to eating LOTS of veggies (something that will carry through to maintenance). IP also has a really good phase-off plan that eases you back into "long term" eating. If you follow through it all thoughtfully, you will be well equipped to keep your weight off.
ITA and *LIKE* all of the above. IP is not a 'Miracle Cure'... if we return to former bad habits, weight will accumulate again... as it will regardless of what diet plan we use to slim down.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #10  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

I like and agree with all of the posts above. No matter what diet you choose to lose weight, your future life is what you make of it. After any diet, we already know what to expect if we go back to old lifestyle/eating habits (that's what got us to our breaking points!). Obviously there needs to be some life-long change.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

All that understood, its still crazy that the three out of three I personally know that lost on IP gained it back I just fear I will be added to that stat.
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #12  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Unfortunately, statistics show that the chances of maintaining a substantial weight loss no matter what program you follow aren't all that good...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #13  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

One of the ladies I work with lost around 50lbs on IP and has kept it off for over a year now.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Unfortunately, statistics show that the chances of maintaining a substantial weight loss no matter what program you follow aren't all that good...
And the best you can do is research the crap out of those statistics to find out why. I have accepted I cannot eat the way I used to nor the way the person beside me is eating...accepting that is half the battle. Just like someone who's lost their leg, they cannot do anything about it they must play their cards the way they were handed to them. Same thing goes for my weight.

The best thing ANYONE can do is just accept the cards they are dealt and move along. I cannot eat the way I used to without gaining, I do not want to gain therefore I WILL NOT eat the way I used to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revenge.jpg (10.0 KB, 9 views)
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
There are various thoughts on this, but I tend to lean toward the idea that some of have a food addiction, some are sensitive to certain foods that trigger a binge and some use food to cope rather than develop heathy coping mechanisms..and for some it includes all of the above. That's entirely a mental/emotional game that needs to be addressed. The IP protocal can't help us there.

I know most of my gain had everything to do with emotional eating and lack of seeking the support that would have helped thru difficult times. And difficult times are an ongoing part of life. It's all a process and we will all learn when the time is right, ya know?
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote