PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Keeping it Simple...Meal planning

I was just curious if you ladies limit meal options.

Like, for breakfasts you either have eggs and toast or oatmeal and nuts.
For lunch, either, soup or burrito's. That kind of idea.

I would love some examples of what works for you

Thanks!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I find that I have pretty much the same things for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is more varied.

Because I have pre-Diabetes as well as IR and PCOS, I began monitoring my blood sugar. I was AMAZED at how my body reacted to various foods (like "healthy whole grain oatmeal" in the morning! Not for me anymore!).

I found that I need to avoid carbs as much as possible in the morning. I can tolerate some later in the day. I follow the IR Diet framework, but often end up eating fairly low carb even with that. So I tend to limit bread and grains, and sugary things.

So breakfasts for me are often eggs and sausage, or eggs and mushrooms, or cottage cheese, or a protein smoothie with a few berries (not many; they're a treat in the morning).

Lunches are less restrictive. When I work in the town I take a green salad with lots of veggies, a homemade vinegar/oil dressing, and some protein (cheese, egg, or leftover meat). I also take chicken miso soup, which I sometimes fortify with extra veggies. Or I take chicken, egg, or tuna salad and some celery to eat it with. And the soup.

At home, my lunches are usually leftovers: meat and veg of some sort. If I eat out for lunch, I often get burgers or sandwiches and eat the middle while leaving the bread. Or a big salad.

Dinners are usually at home, and often are a simple protein/veg combo. Tonight I'm having corned beef and homemade sauerkraut. YUM!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I follow Paleo way of eating, which ends up being a lot of veggies and fruits, with protein.

Carbs come from fruit/veg, not from rice/bread/pasta/sugar.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the replies. I had been reading a book that suggested eating pretty much the same meals each day...just so you don't have to think so much about food. boring, but I thought it might work for the short term.

Maybe I'll do it, for breakfast lunch and snack, but change it weekly.

Like the high fibre Eggo and peanut butter for breakfast
Eggs w/whole wheat tortilla and veggies for lunch
and snacks: 1. yogurt and walnuts 2.cheese string 3. veggies and hummus
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #5  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I would go bonkers without food variety. About the only that remains unchanged is that I have eggs for breakfast every morning.

What I do is on Saturday or Sunday, I plan every meal for the week. I look through my list of favorite recipes as well as going through my pinterest boards of recipes I want to try. Then I plug in the meals on the food tracker on sparkpeople, making adjustments as needed to make sure I hit all my macronutrient levels for each day. (For example, if I have two meals that are higher carb or lower protein, I put them on different days so it balances out.) I then make a shopping list, go to the supermarket, and then do some food prep (portioning meats, chopping veggies, etc.). It's about two or three hours of work but all the thinking/planning is done for the week so all I have to do each morning is check to see what's on the menu.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I tend to eat the same things for breakfast, snacks, and dinner on weekdays. I cook a whole bunch of dinner on the weekend. Lunch is my "fun" meal that varies. On the weekend I try to still eat something healthy for breakfast and dinner but make it different.
sophiew is offline   Reply With Quote