Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Cucumbers...

This is one vegetable I have NEVER liked. To me it tastes like watermelon rind. Of course I have only ever eaten it raw on a salad, and one bite was all I could handle.

It is better cooked? Or does anyone have any recipes/ideas that would make it more palatable? Thanks!!
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I'm not a huge fan of eating it by itself raw and unseasoned. I agree with you on your description of the taste, lol. I do add it raw in sandwiches/wraps, don't really taste it much. I like it chopped with greek yogurt, dry dill and some of lawry's garlic salt then use as a veggie dip with celery, carrots, or more cukes! The only way I can eat it by itself is if I soak cuke slices in my homemade sweet italian dressing (red wine vinegar with dry zesty italian seasoning, some sugar or splenda and very little oil.) The "pickled" cukes are good in salads/sandwiches/wraps as well.

I've never really cooked with cukes to honest so I have no recipes or ideas on that. Glad you are willing to give 'em another try!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #3  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I only like cucumbers from the garden, not the produce section. They taste totally different. If you have a farmers market in your area, or have a friend who gardens, get some "real" cucumbers and see if you like them.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #4  

Thank you for those ideas Amandie... I will have to get creative lol
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

I'm not a big fan of just plain cucumber either... Never really cared for it in salads much, since it's just sort of "blah" to me... But I like it in other things... Tzatziki is pretty classic... the Greek appetizer, which is basically Greek yogurt, cucumber, and dill... or some variation on that theme... that is served with gyro's... I also like cucumber added to really good salsa sometimes to balance the spiciness... And I'm a big fan of chilled soups in the summer and chilled cucumber soup is right up there for me just after gazpacho...

Also this may sound a bit odd... but cucumber slices in sparkling water or seltzer is also really refreshing and a nice change of pace in the summer as well... And you can even buy cucumber waters and sodas... some of which I've tried and there are few that I actually really like...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #6  

Thanks for the tip Novus... We do have a Farmer's Market here but not sure if they are selling yet or not. But I will definitely go by and see. The few times i've tried it was in restaurants or one i bought from the grocery store. Thanks again!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #7  

Hi Tripswitch... I will google a recipe and give that a try.. It actually sounds appealing to me. It sounds like none of us like it raw LOL. The cucumber water sounds like it's worth a try. I drink so much water it would be nice to do something different for a change besides adding Mio to it. Thanks!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Oooh, Trip- thank you so much for reminding me about cukes in salsa! I haven't made cucumber salsa for a L-O-N-G time. It's actually pretty good and easy too if you have a food processor or something like that.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Oh, I just thought of another one... I really like using cucumbers as a base for appetizers... cutting it into pieces that you can scoop out the center and stuff it with pretty much anything from tuna to caviar... Yum!

Man! This thread has me craving cucumber of all things! I can't believe it... lol...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-10-2013 at 07:51 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #10  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Oooh, cucumber salsa! That is going on my pinterest board!
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #11  
Starting over

S/C/G: OSW/NSW/CW/GW 250+/195/195/140

Height: 5'9

These aren't the lowest calorie choices(but then you never specified that ;P):

Cucumbers can be used in stirfries or fried rice. Fried rice: usually long thin cucmbers (English cucumbers) cut in half lengthwise and then sliced very thin. StirFry: could be cut thicker and pared with pork (made spicy) or tofu (adding salt)

Cucumbers and tomatoes in couscous with seasoning.

Cucumbers salted then dipped in basically anything (cottage cheese, sour cream, hummus)

Cucmbers peeled and refrigerated (usually the peels will not taste good because of wax, pesticides etc.). Even though its less healthy, it might be worth it to peel the cukes for any recipe until you get used to eating them. Plus cold cuke on a hot day = bliss.

I also second that most store boght cucumbers are terrible. English cucmbers (long and thin), and baby cucumbers are going to be the tastiest. Avoid cucumbers with skin that is too green or waxy, and bodies that are too thick; they have a higher water content and will have more of that watermelon rind taste.
Mandolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #12  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I happen to love cucumbers but while they have some nutrition, they are almost all water, so you have to eat a LOT to get the benefits. So if you don't like the flavor, why worry about forcing yourself to find ways to eat them? There are plenty of other vegetables to enjoy!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #13  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I love cucumbers, but they must be out of the garden or in season at stores or else they're bitter and gross. I eat them with a little salt on them, on a sandwich with light mayo, or on salads. I've never cooked with them. I don't know if you can.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

I'm eating cucumbers and hummus right now, so good :'3
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #15  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I never even thought about cooking cucumbers before this summer. When I was visiting Finland (which by the way is fresh food heaven in the summer), my cousin made cucumber soup. It was sooooo good. She sent me her recipe and when I made mine it didn't really taste like hers - but it was still absolutely delicious. Basically saute some shredded cucumbers and some onion and then add a chopped tomato, a dill pickle cut up tiny (???) and cook in veggie stock. You can add some sour cream if you want to make it creamy. Fresh dill and/or parsley.

But I do like cucumbers pretty much any old way. I do think the cucumbers in Europe are much nicer then US supermarket ones. They are a different variety. But home grown American ones are absolutely delicious.

I agree with April Snow though - if you don't like cucumbers, I'm not sure why you'd want to eat them.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote