General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default The Scale

Some people say that you should weigh yourself once a week when trying to lose weight but for me i get disapointed if i don't lose anything and if i see i gained a couple Pounds than i just give up i just want to know if others weight themselves while losing weight and another question how do you keep yourself Motivated!
Notsoskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2  

I think we all depend on the scale to prove to us that we are losing pounds and making progress. But it sure can be frustrating to not see it move as fast as we want it to!

I have learned that my weightloss isn't measured solely in pounds on the scale. It's also measured in the way my clothes fit, the fact that I couldn't walk 5 minutes when I started without pain and now I can do as much as I want or need to, and....I can finally run up and down the stairs a few times if I need to without feeling like I am going to die!!

This time for me there is no giving up, I decided that months ago. It doesn't matter what the scale says!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #3  

How do you stay Motivated? i seem to have a hard time keeping myself going
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #4  

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I've made a decision to give up the scale - well, maybe not completely, but for awhile anyway. I gave it to my husband and told him to hide it for me. (he never uses it anyway) I last weighed myself on Thursday, the 14th and am pleased that I've lost about 8.5 lbs since early February, but my plan right now is to not weigh again until I go to the doctor in August.

I'm practicing IE (intuitive eating) which encourages you to ditch the scale completely, but that's often not practical. IF I were on a specific weight loss plan (read: DIET) I wouldn't weigh more often than once a month.

It's so easy to get caught up in a number on a scale, which can be affected by so many different things. I'd rather use how I feel, how my clothes fit, things like that.

But you have to do what is right for you.

Ah, motivation! That is so different for everyone.

Some are trying to lose weight for an event, others just to look a certain way. Still others want, and often NEED, to do it for health reasons.

I can't give you any specific advice to keep you motivated, other than to say that you should try to remind yourself just why you are doing what you're doing. Remember that you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight.

Reading some of the success stories here is a good way to stay motivated, I think. See what others have done, and know that you can do it as well.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #5  

I stay motivated as I want to keep being able to move my body like I can now, I hang clothes on my closet door that I want to wear, I am motivated by feeling 100x better than I did 116lbs ago. It seems that the benefits of my losing weight are the gifts that keep on giving.

This time around I decided that I *wanted* to lose weight and I *wanted* to find a plan for me to adhere to. I set mini goals and mini rewards that keep me motivated too.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Do you have a new eating plan and exercise plan?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #6  

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein
I've heard this many times and just now when i read it,it made more sense than ever thanks!! Hanging clothes on the closet door is a good one i think im going to try this it's just that i have 120 lbs i want to lose and it just seems like it will never happen,but i think i'll read some success stories that are on here,thanks for answering back
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #7  

If I can lose 116 and am still going strong, anyone can do it!! I never thought I'd lose the first 16, nevermind 116. Good luck!! Post often, we are all here for each other!!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I think elvislover has got this one nailed.

YES to everything she said.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #9  

I never weighed myself---not even once---during the whole time I was losing approx. 50 lbs (I'm estimating based on the size I was during past weights). I wanted to keep the focus on establishing healthier habits, and I knew I would be disappointed/discouraged if I stepped on the scale and 1) weighed much more than I thought I was 2) didn't lose as much as I thought I "deserved" to.

I started losing in June 2011, and first time I weighed was the week after Thanksgiving in 2011---and I had surpassed my goal weight, so I immediately started maintenance (I liked the way I looked, so that is why I decided to weigh). I've been maintaining ever since and I only weigh myself once or twice a month (and sometimes, not even that often). I just do that to keep on track & catch small gains quickly.

Last edited by lin43; 03-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #10  

If you have those feelings, then measure yourself with how some clothes fit. Take 2 different pants and maybe 2 bras to check progress. I do that and it really helps to not get moody from what the scale says.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote