Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Default wearing through the inner thighs of my pants - LEAST favorite thing about being heavy

So this week, I blew through the inner thighs of two pairs of jeans from where my thighs rub together when I walk. Aargh.

I know some folks put a patch in and keep wearing them, usually I just toss them at this point, which may be wasteful, but I would feel self-conscious walking around in pants patched in the inner thighs.

Seriously, I think this is my least favorite thing about being overweight - I dislike it more than having a belly, or my bat-wings, or having a full face. Anyone else want to commiserate on this point? Or anyone want to throw out an idea of at what point in the weight loss journey this will stop being an issue?

I don't mind if I'm never skinny. Maybe my "goal" isn't a BMI or a number on the scale but just not putting holes in my pants....
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #2  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

OMG it's the worst!!!! I hate that!!!! I've lost so many good pairs of jeans and it's so depressing!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

It's horrible, isn't it?! This is a huge problem for me, too.

But, I have to say, this is a problem for me when I'm not overweight and am actually quite fit, too. Losing weight isn't going to make my jeans last any longer. If it makes you feel better, I was a size 6 with 20% body fat when I got pregnant with my oldest 7 years ago. I was clocking over 120 miles a week on my bike and in the best shape of my life. I was going through jeans and pants so fast! My thighs are just huge, and mostly muscle anyway but even when I take off that little layer of fat on the inside they are gigantic.

I shop at thrift stores for jeans that were made several years so before they all became thin and stretchy. The old, non stretch heavy weight denim is a lot harder to rub through.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm right there with ya. It's sooooo annoying!!!
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #5  

I am wearing my double patched running pants today...

I wouldn't wear them in public more than around my neighborhood but I loved these pants so much I couldn't throw them away without trying to save them.

I was so embarrassed asking my husband to help me with them. He has never blown out legs to a pair of pants.

I'll never be one of those people with 2 "seperate" legs no matter how much weight I lose. My thighs might as well be connected with magnets!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Me too. The trick is to find those materials that stand up to wear better. Woolen pants are the worst for me. I also get skin tags because of my weight which is probably related to the pants problem.

Last edited by IanG; 03-15-2013 at 12:52 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I wonder why some people have problems with it more than others? I think it's the hip size/placement with the femurs. When I got to about 175, my legs didn't touch any more = ever when I walked (feet hip distance apart). Now at 185, they barely do and they don't really rub. I have large hips and muscular thighs, but my thighs coming from my hips are like this: \ \ / / where some women are like this: | /\ | or like this: | || |

Hope that makes sense. Some legs come straight down some are very angled.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #8  

Mine are more like: l )( l

Ok, that was funny to try and draw. My legs are straight down the sides in line with my hips but the inside thighs have never been fit or in shape, no matter how thin I could get. I'm going to concentrate more on it this time around!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I think I am one of those | )( | because I used to wear through the thighs of my pants and workout pants. I just basically learned to buy two pairs but now it isn't SO bad. The fabric does get thinner around that area after a year of use. It totally sucks. We will see what it's like when I reach 150 and below.

didn't see Elvis' post and adjusted my thighs accordingly since it looks like that, lol.

Last edited by amandie; 03-15-2013 at 01:22 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #10  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Mine are more like: l )( l

Ok, that was funny to try and draw. My legs are straight down the sides in line with my hips but the inside thighs have never been fit or in shape, no matter how thin I could get. I'm going to concentrate more on it this time around!
That made me chuckle out loud.

Yes, mine were like this: \ )( / but are close to not touching now.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #11  
Melissa

Actually, to me, worse than wearing through jeans are these two things:

The shorts climbing up the inner thigh, bunching up at the crotch. That's lovely. And of course, wearing out too.

And even worse yet, trying to wear dresses and having the inner things rub raw. Sticking together, causing a rash/burn - in the summer heat.

I got smart about it and started wearing compression mid-thigh undergarments to keep my thighs from rubbing raw, but then you are adding a layer of hot clothing on hot, humid, summer days. Totally goes against wearing a light breezy dress.

I was always so envious of women who could go bra-less and just wear a thin summer dress over their skimpy cotton underwear. With my large boobs, I have to wear a bra (which is HOT) and then those thigh length undewear. Ugh...

That has been one of the nicest things for me about losing the weight - no more compression underwear under my summer dresses.

HOWEVER, because of my loose skin on my tummy, I look better with a form fitting girdle type thing, but I don't wear them in summer.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-15-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

It also depends on the quality of pants too! There are certain jeans I buy that do that no matter what weight I am because of the cheap quality.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I definitely think its a mix between bone placement, muscle and fat distribution. I remember seeing a picture of Courtney Cox wearing just undewear and thinking - no matter how thin I was - my legs will NEVER be that far apart. I can feel wear the bones are - and there just isn't much more room for extra fat/muscle ... so I suspect even thin, and with the amount of muscle in my legs, I will ALWAYS have this problem. And actually, I remmeber hating the awkward feeling of my thighs touching when in a bathing suit as a small child (who was not overweight) - so I do think some people's bodies are just different.

Once I reach goal though, I may consider liposuction if that means no more chaffing and wearing through jeans.

Also, I had a pair of jeans I was heartbroken about losing, and I actually did mail order through this place called Denim Therapy where they restore them - its not a patch - they literally resew in new fibers. Its worth doing if you have a pair of pants you love!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #14  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm more like this:

I definitely had problems with my legs rubbing together at my heaviest of 360 and wearing my pants down between my thighs, but that mostly went away after I got down to 285 or so.

Now my issue is finding pants that actually go around my waist without making my legs and butt swim. My waist is proportionately huge compared to my scrawny legs, so when I find something to fit my butt and legs properly they're no way I'm going to be able to fasten them over my belly. The smaller I get the easier it is, but it remains an issue.

Sigh . . . it's always something. I think a lot of it really depends on your body type.

Last edited by Elladorine; 03-15-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
Also, I had a pair of jeans I was heartbroken about losing, and I actually did mail order through this place called Denim Therapy where they restore them - its not a patch - they literally resew in new fibers. Its worth doing if you have a pair of pants you love!
I just looked that up, what a brilliant concept!!! Who knew?!