Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5'4

Default vegetables

I read on another thread that you aren't suppose to have 2 cups of green beans when it is time to eat 2 cups of veggies. I don't understand this.

Why would it matter if I used green beans for my 2 cups?

Another question while I am at it: Is it ok to mix the veggies that we can have? Like, say, radish, celery and cauliflower mixed and all of it adds up to two cups.
pinkeetoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #2  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Refer to: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-diet-faq.html and the PDF attachments posted by Kira - about 5 posts from the top. All the info you need for phase one.

As for Green beans:

Green beans are an "occasional" veggie, which means you can only eat them (or a combination of them and any other occasional veggie, only 2 times a week. So yes, you can have 2 cups at a time, but only 2 times a week, as long as you don't have any other restricted veggies.

And yes, you can combine veggies to make up your 2 or 4 cups. Green beans, and everything on the "occasional" veggie list are higher in carbs than the Select veggies, which you can eat daily, up to 4 cups.

Lettuce (any kind) and spinach are "eat all you want" veggies...you don't have to stop at 4 cups and can eat as much as you want for 'filler' if you're hungry.

My coach (some don't agree) also said, celery, cucumber and dill pickles are "eat all you want" veggies, too.

Vegetables
Select: Algae, Alfalfa, Asparagus, Arugula, Broccoli, Bean Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery,
Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickles, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Green Bell Peppers
(cooked) , Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only), Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb,
Sauerkraut, Soya, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini

Occasional (You may choose two items only per week from this list): Brussels Sprouts, Beans (Green & Wax),
Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Peppers (all colors other then green - cooked) Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Swede, Tomato

Not permitted: Artichoke, Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn,
Squash, Yams

Last edited by leannekarella; 03-12-2013 at 12:27 AM.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

My coach said occasional veggies (brussels sprouts, green beans, eggplant, palm hearts, peppers, snow peas, swede, tomatoes) are limited to 1 cup twice per week.

Also, the only unlimited thing allowed, for me, is romaine, iceberg, butter and boston lettuces.

Spinach, dill pickles, and celery are clearly listed under the 'select' veggie list.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 03-12-2013 at 08:45 AM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #4  

I appreciate the feedback ladies. Thank you!

I am on day 8...Go me
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #5  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Refer to: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-diet-faq.html and the PDF attachments posted by Kira - about 5 posts from the top. All the info you need for phase one.

As for Green beans:

Green beans are an "occasional" veggie, which means you can only eat them (or a combination of them and any other occasional veggie, only 2 times a week. So yes, you can have 2 cups at a time, but only 2 times a week, as long as you don't have any other restricted veggies.

And yes, you can combine veggies to make up your 2 or 4 cups. Green beans, and everything on the "occasional" veggie list are higher in carbs than the Select veggies, which you can eat daily, up to 4 cups.

Lettuce (any kind) and spinach are "eat all you want" veggies...you don't have to stop at 4 cups and can eat as much as you want for 'filler' if you're hungry.

My coach (some don't agree) also said, celery, cucumber and dill pickles are "eat all you want" veggies, too.

Vegetables
Select: Algae, Alfalfa, Asparagus, Arugula, Broccoli, Bean Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery,
Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickles, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Green Bell Peppers
(cooked) , Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only), Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb,
Sauerkraut, Soya, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini

Occasional (You may choose two items only per week from this list): Brussels Sprouts, Beans (Green & Wax),
Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Peppers (all colors other then green - cooked) Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Swede, Tomato

Not permitted: Artichoke, Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn,
Squash, Yams

Be careful, that is a very old Phase 1 sheet (the post was from 2009). For example, it lists peppers (all colors other than green-cooked) as an occasional veggie. The June 2012 sheet is the most current, and peppers (all) are considered a select veggie. Spinach is also a select veggie, not unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
My coach said occasional veggies (brussels sprouts, green beans, eggplant, palm hearts, peppers, snow peas, swede, tomatoes) are limited to 1 cup twice per week.

Also, the only unlimited thing allowed, for me, is romaine, iceberg, butter and boston lettuces.

Spinach, dill pickles, and celery are clearly listed under the 'select' veggie list.
My coach never added further limitations to the occasional veggie guideline (You may choose two items only per week from this list). There have been a few days where I have eaten 3-4 cups of brussels sprouts. I have not had an issue with weight loss.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/277/150

Height: 5' 4"

Thank goodness we can have all the peppers now! I was really missing some colour on my plate and green is already my least favourite colour!
DannaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas812 View Post
My coach never added further limitations to the occasional veggie guideline (You may choose two items only per week from this list). There have been a few days where I have eaten 3-4 cups of brussels sprouts. I have not had an issue with weight loss.
I'm glad that works for you, brussel sprouts are my favorite veggie. I would eat them every single day if allowed!

However, I'm sticking to the advice of my coach.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #8  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

There was a post to the daily threads the other day...
Spinach can now be used like lettuce... There are new guidelines that have not been published yet.

I also, personally, have been eating bell peppers - all colors - as a select veggie since day 1.

And as I said in my original post, it was MY coach that said celery, cucumbers and pickles were unlimited. I have done that, I have lost weight. Other coaches don't say that.

I was answering the question why someone got upset about eating green beans...
Personally, I'm rather liberal with my veggies, and I eat more tomatoes than are "allowed".

Last edited by leannekarella; 03-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #9  
Started IP 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 290/187/110

Height: 5'1"

Yeah, I think the info sheet is outdated because it also says you can only have raw onions, but I've been eating cooked onions and have had no problems with weight loss.
cmk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk79 View Post
Yeah, I think the info sheet is outdated because it also says you can only have raw onions, but I've been eating cooked onions and have had no problems with weight loss.
That actually has more to do with the big difference in sugar content between a raw onion and a cooked/caramelized onion. It's not because the sheet is outdated. The most recent sheet (June 2012) still states raw onion.

A while back I had posted a link to a very good article explaining that ALL cooked onions do not have the long-chain sugars that we need to avoid in Phase 1. Only when they brown and are caramelized do they have those sugars.

So if you are eating cooked onions (translucent) but they are not browned, they are fine.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 03-13-2013 at 04:58 PM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Only when they brown and are caramelized do they have those sugars.

So if you are eating cooked onions (translucent) but they are not browned, they are fine.
Good to know; I have been afraid of cooked onions. Thank you for all of your valuable info!!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

Thanks for clearing the onion thing up Scorbett!
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #13  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

As for spinach, there may be new guidelines coming, but the rationale for that one has to do with acidity. It's why the vinegars and diet pop etc. are also no-nos. This is an alkaline diet, and some food - like spinach- affect the acidity levels. Since this is a 'science recipe' diet, all those things are factors. That's why we try not to fix/tweak too many things until you understanding the "why" of things. I was drinking diet cola last summer thinking it was 0/0/0/ but now that I get the "acid" part, I understand why it's not allowed.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #14  

Wow, I've been using vinegar daily as a seasoning for my food. On the old sheet it says it is fine. Haven't weight since I started the diet and today is 9. guess I will go pull out the scale and see if I've messed up.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #15  

You can have vinegar, just not balsamic vinegar (which is sweeter) or red wine vinegar. Apple cider vinegar and white vinegar are on the p1 sheet as condiments

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-14-2013 at 03:59 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote