Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #1  
Hopeful

Default DVD recommendations wanted

I am looking for dvd recommendations.
My doc believes that I am showing signs of early osteoarthritis. Many parts of my body hurt most of the time. boo.
He wants me to lose weight. He said to start exercising slowly and to build up as I am able.
We don't live in an area that makes walking (for exercise purposes) nearly impossible. I work part time, but I am home with my son the majority of the time. I need to be able to exercise at home either with him, or while he is sleeping. I thought of joining a gym that has child care, but right now we only have one vehicle. I am stuck near home while hubby is at work.
Any relatively inexpensive ideas?
snicker311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #2  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I would start off with Leslie. Here's a full length 2 mile walk at youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY You can search for more like this. Good luck with your weight loss and health goals.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #3  
Hang in there!

S/C/G: 252/236/145

Height: 5'2

I have been enjoying Jane Fonda's newest DVDs and also her old Start up video. They are not to long and are a great way for me to get back my active exercising self and it makes me feel better too.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #4  

I really like the Leslie Sansone videos too!
countingmylosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #5  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I have never worked out before, but I started doing Debbie Sieber's Slim in 6 about 10 days ago. I am hooked! I picked mine up on eBay for about $20, not willing to pay Beachbody's prices.

I stayed on the Start it Up level for 9 days and just moved on to the second level, Ramp it Up, today.

A lot of the reviews call it boring, but I felt like that was what I needed, since I was a total beginner. I am not bored yet, and my body caught on a lot more quickly that I thought it would.

I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for the past 7 years, including back to back pregnancies where I spent nearly all of 2010 and 2011 pregnant. That did a number on my body, and my knees in particular, and I was worried about a lot of the workout videos that were highly reviewed on Amazon being too high impact for me. These aren't, and bad music or not, I love them.

I am also working out when the kiddos are sleeping, which was another reason I couldn't do high impact - its too loud! Our house is small, and all of the bedrooms clustered together. I work out in the smallest bedroom with kids sleeping on either room on the side of it, and haven't woken them up yet (knock wood).
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I also recommend Leslie Sansone videos. They are a great way to get started slowly, with ways to increase both intensity and duration as you need.

My 8 yo son loves doing my exercises with me, not sure how old yours is, but maybe he will too! (and when he was younger, it was still funny for him to watch Mama doing all these silly thngs)
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Try Pilates! Lara Hudson has a couple of 10 Minute Solutions DvDs that are a great place to start! You burn about as many calories as walking, but you tone at the same time. It's very easy on the joints as the movements are more "graceful" (not quite the right word, but kind of...)
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #8  
300+ Chick

I agree about Lesle Sansone, Walk Away The Pounds, at home walking system. I had started doing her videos on Mar 13th and am doing good with it so far. Good luck on whatever you decide on doing.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/233/155

Height: 5'3"

I have The Goddess Workout video, it's a beginners belly dancing video. It may feel silly but it does work and it can be relaxing and kinda motivating. I have done another of Delphine's videos on Netflix and it wasn't bad. May be too.. slow for some people but it gave me a slight boost in confidence too.
Lady_Ardrox is offline   Reply With Quote