Thread: Weird Finds
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
joefla70
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I don't know if this is "weird", per se, but it was new and different to me.

Two of my coworkers are Pakistani. They often bring in home cooked meals and offer to let me try. Once they knew I liked the things they cook, they started bringing in more things for me to try. There are a few things that I found to be really good.

The first thing was a recipe using Chinese bitter melon. It was sauteed with onion and some lentils. I don't know how she made it, but it was good. It seemed kinda hard to make, because apparently working with bitter melon isn't easy, so I probably won't be trying to make it.

Then the other day they brought in something called "Haleem" -- which is a like a stew or porridge made with various grains, beans, and pulses - including Bulgar wheat, lentils, yellow split peas and legumes that I have never heard of, like split mung and skinless urd. A mix of various spices - including cumin, turmeric, cardamom, coriander, garlic, chilis, garlic, pepper, etc. is added to give it flavor. After it cooks (usually along with some meat), they take a hand-held immersion blender and make in into a smooth porridge-like consistency. It was so good. This I will make some day.

Started out at 405.5 on 7/31/12. Then lost 156 lbs to get down to 249.5 by 7/31/13. In the past year I have put back on over 40 pounds and reached a high of 291.5. But I have recommitted myself and quickly took off ten pounds by 7/31/14. I am now trying to take off the weight I put back on, and then lose the rest of the weight I was originally trying to lose. ---- Starting weight / Low weight / Current Weight / Goal Weight

Last edited by joefla70 : 03-14-2013 at 02:32 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote