Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/179/135

Height: 5''6'

Default Fajitas and feeling sick?

Good day everyone,

This is my first post, I hope it's ok.

I went to a kid's birthday party yesterday, and thought I made good choices. I didn't have corn chips/cheesy salsa, alcool, cake and I skipped the flour tortilla, guacamole, beans, sour cream!

So I had chicken, with a tiny bit of old elpaso salsa and cooked peppers and onions. However, the chicken had been cooked with the fajitas seasoning mix.

About 2 hours later, I had severe cramping in my stomach and nausea. Could it be from my dinner? Is there a lot of sugar in fajitas seasoning mix? Also, what would you have done in this situation, eat home prior or after the party?

I'm on phase 1, week 3. Any input is welcome, thank you

Marilyn
mphil66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

I know some store bought taco seasonings have sugar in them, but not sure about the fajita seasoning. I would think if it did, it was still a relatively small amount.

I normally eat something before going to an event like this in case there isn't anything I can eat. I would probably have eaten the same things you did when I was there though if I hadn't eaten prior.

I wouldnt think that a little sugar in the seasoning would give you stomach issues. What might do it is if there was a lot of oil on the chiken and veggies. We are very low fat on IP and if something has a lot of oil it might trigger some stomach issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are feeling ok today.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

I have now started to notice that when I eat certain foods the same thing happens to me. I now avoid those foods. The last thing I ate that gave me sharp stomach pains was a leek. The next day, I was fine. I have lots of allergies, so I am writing this stuff down. 3 weeks ago, I had 2 TBSP of half and half in my coffee and it caused inflammation, pain and a general sense of not feeling well (not to mention screwed up my system for awhile/weight loss). I was allergic to dairy as a child and assumed I grew out of it as an adult (not really, I just take Allegra every day and was apparently masking it).

Since you didn't cook what you ate, it will be hard to tell exactly what it was. It could have been something as simple as the cooked onions or peppers or a certain spice. Keep a journal of your reactions to certain foods/meals and by the end of the diet, you will know what your body can and can't handle in maintenance.

I hope that helps and the pain is gone today!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
Welcome!

I know some store bought taco seasonings have sugar in them, but not sure about the fajita seasoning. I would think if it did, it was still a relatively small amount.

I normally eat something before going to an event like this in case there isn't anything I can eat. I would probably have eaten the same things you did when I was there though if I hadn't eaten prior.

I wouldnt think that a little sugar in the seasoning would give you stomach issues. What might do it is if there was a lot of oil on the chiken and veggies. We are very low fat on IP and if something has a lot of oil it might trigger some stomach issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are feeling ok today.
I feel better this morning, and plan on doing a very low carb day! How can someone even want to be cheating? I felt so sick
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
I have now started to notice that when I eat certain foods the same thing happens to me. I now avoid those foods. The last thing I ate that gave me sharp stomach pains was a leek. The next day, I was fine. I have lots of allergies, so I am writing this stuff down. 3 weeks ago, I had 2 TBSP of half and half in my coffee and it caused inflammation, pain and a general sense of not feeling well (not to mention screwed up my system for awhile/weight loss). I was allergic to dairy as a child and assumed I grew out of it as an adult (not really, I just take Allegra every day and was apparently masking it).

Since you didn't cook what you ate, it will be hard to tell exactly what it was. It could have been something as simple as the cooked onions or peppers or a certain spice. Keep a journal of your reactions to certain foods/meals and by the end of the diet, you will know what your body can and can't handle in maintenance.

I hope that helps and the pain is gone today!
That is a great idea, thank you! I'm also intolerant to some food/spices, but I'm thinking it might be even worst when doing IP? Since our body is not exposed to many different foods everyday... Any way, I feel much better this morning, thanks!

Marilyn
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #6  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

There are a LOT of fillers in spices (mainly flour) which is why buying quality spices and things you grind (especially for pepper) is way better than buying ground ones. There also are lots of chemicals (MSGs) etc. on packaged products so that's what you might be sensitive to as well. The other factor, could just be cooking time -- maybe the meat wasn't as cooked, or you picked up a bug at someone else's house. However, if it is an allergy to 'chemical' stuff, you may have problems with all the foods with sweeteners etc. Since you're just starting, journalling more than what you eat -- but how you feel after -- will definitely help you discover if there are trigger foods

Last edited by IP43; 03-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #7  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphil66 View Post
So I had chicken, with a tiny bit of old elpaso salsa and cooked peppers and onions. However, the chicken had been cooked with the fajitas seasoning mix.
Remember also that you are not supposed to be eating caramelized onions.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

My bet is on the oil and/or cooked veggies making you feel like that.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphil66 View Post
That is a great idea, thank you! I'm also intolerant to some food/spices, but I'm thinking it might be even worst when doing IP? Since our body is not exposed to many different foods everyday... Any way, I feel much better this morning, thanks!

Marilyn
So glad to hear you are feeling better today
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
There are a LOT of fillers in spices (mainly flour) which is why buying quality spices and things you grind (especially for pepper) is way better than buying ground ones. There also are lots of chemicals (MSGs) etc. on packaged products so that's what you might be sensitive to as well. The other factor, could just be cooking time -- maybe the meat wasn't as cooked, or you picked up a bug at someone else's house. However, if it is an allergy to 'chemical' stuff, you may have problems with all the foods with sweeteners etc. Since you're just starting, journalling more than what you eat -- but how you feel after -- will definitely help you discover if there are trigger foods
I will remember that, thank you I think the meat was well cooked, and since I was the only one who got ill I'm assuming it's not the meat itself...
Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
So glad to hear you are feeling better today
Thank God!!! I was really feeling awful! It's my WI today, a day earlier than usual, and I haven't lost any weight I almost canceled my appointement but will go any way... My periods are all over the place since starting IP, even though I use the BC pill in continuous! Not sure what happened exactly but I've read some of us had a ''bad'' WI around week 3,4,5... let's hope next week is better!

Marilyn
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
My bet is on the oil and/or cooked veggies making you feel like that.
Would it be impolite to ask my friend what she used for cooking you think? The veggies seemed oily and sweet to me, it was red and green pepper with onions.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Remember also that you are not supposed to be eating caramelized onions.
That's right