South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #1  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Default Back to the beach?

Hi all,
I was successful on SBD in 2006 before I married my hubby...lost over 17 pounds . I am thinking (really wanting) to go back on it, but phase 1 is so hard because I love me my pasta and potatoes, not to mention my WINE. So I just wanted to check in here and see if i can't get the kick in the pants that I need to get started again.

I would love suggestions for easy and fast breakfast and lunch ideas for work so please, share what works for you with me

I'm 5'8 and currently 164. In 2006 I got down to 145-148 with the help of SBD, and along the way to now I just, well, stopped. I am 42 now, turning 43 in October and don't want to be one of those women that gets old and fat (no disrespect intended). I am really hoping this time I can re-commit!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/176/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Syckgirlsfv,

I'm doing the SBD for the second time as well. Several years ago, I lost 11 lbs doing a clean Ph 1 and working out on the elliptical every day. But I didn't transition to Ph 2 properly, then my el cheapo elliptical machine broke. I also went back to school to finish my BA, and the whole diet & exercise thing went on the backburner for 5 yrs. Long story short, I gained back all that I'd lost plus 10 lbs more.

I really like eggs for breakfast; my current favourite is Eggs Florentine: Saute 3 chopped green onions in 1/2 tsp ghee for a half-minute, then add 2 cups of rinsed baby spinach and stir for a minute or two. After it cooks down a bit, push the spinach over to the side of the pan and crumble on 1 Tbsp LF feta. Shift the pan slightly so that the part with the spinach is off the element. Then put 1/2 tsp ghee on the clear part of the pan and fry an egg over easy. The spinach has to be watched & stirred so that it doesn't start to burn. Sometimes I have to add a tsp or so of water. Then plate the spinach with the egg on top. Yum! The whole process takes less than ten minutes.

For lunch, I like to add a cup of finely chopped kale to egg salad. Kale is also good with tuna or salmon salad.

Hope these ideas are useful. Looks like you're on excellent track to achieve your goal.
harmonyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #3  
California licensed CPA!

thank you, the eggs florentine sounds amazing! I'll try that - have you ever cooked it at night and then reheated in the morning?

I love your kale tuna or egg salad idea too - I love kale in soups and stuff. I just need to get my mind going back in the direction of no bread, rice, pasta, fruit, or starchy veggies for a couple weeks, and it's hard this time!

thanks for the response - I tend to shy away from recipes that have too many ingredients or take too long, since I am actually in school right now to get my BS and I work full time
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

And to me, your love of potatoes and pasta (and WINE!) are exactly why you should do SBD again - it really does help control urges to eat those foods, which are higly caloric and sets off cravings.

LOL...as I am on phase I again... (and I turn 42 next month!)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/176/135

Height: 5'4"

I turn 49 in September. I feel the half-century mark breathing down my neck, so I appreciated your remark about not wanting to get old & fat. I'm determined to get fit before 50!

I haven't made Eggs Florentine ahead of time, but you could probably prepare the spinach ahead and reheat it in the microwave the next morning while you quickly fry an egg. (I'm glad you asked this question because now I'm thinking this is what I will do next time.) I don't know about frying an egg ahead of time ~ wouldn't it get rubbery?? You could always try it and let me know how it turns out.

I hear you about juggling work and school. My cooking has become a lot more streamlined over the last few years. My favourite meal is a nice steak and some salad (and a glass of red wine, but we won't talk about that! ) Since my husband grills the steak, it's easy-peasy for me.

Last edited by harmonyBelle; 03-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.
harmonyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #6  
California licensed CPA!

LOL I didn't read thoroughly enough the first time that the egg was fried...I think my brain just assumed scrambled! It's so super easy to nuke an egg. Wait! I used to make a kind of fried egg breakfast sandwich in the microwave - I would crack an egg in to a small round pyrex (the mini ones that are actually the size of an egg mcmuffin egg!) and nuke it for a minute covered with a paper towel. It worked perfectly, and it also works with egg substitute. There's my answer! I may do this next week

I am going to cheat my *** off this weekend and go have green beer and Jameson shots for St. Patty's Day at a steak house here in Glendale...that way I can start clean on Monday. I'm still counting calories and being careful until then

Last edited by Syckgirlsfv; 03-14-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Welcome back! I make eggs muffins (eggs, FF 1/2 & 1/2, turkey sausage, green peppers, LF cheddar and green onions. Super easy I make them for the week. Eat 2 for breakfast in the morning when I work. They last about a week in the fridge, pop in microwave for 30 seconds. For lunch I eat soups, salads, chili etc. Pretty much anything I can make ahead of time.

TwynnB I too turn 42, but in 6 months
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Jekel, you're 42 with crazy hormones?! well, my grandma went thru it at 38...

I make a crustless quiche, and eat it all week. It tastes great by popping it in the toaster oven for a bit (just on bake, then broil the last couple minutes), I think it's gross microwaved! http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011...ss-quiche.html I LOVE this recipe!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #9  
California licensed CPA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekel383 View Post
Welcome back! I make eggs muffins (eggs, FF 1/2 & 1/2, turkey sausage, green peppers, LF cheddar and green onions. Super easy I make them for the week. Eat 2 for breakfast in the morning when I work. They last about a week in the fridge, pop in microwave for 30 seconds. For lunch I eat soups, salads, chili etc. Pretty much anything I can make ahead of time.

TwynnB I too turn 42, but in 6 months
sounds SO good...I'll look in the recipe section for those. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #10  
California licensed CPA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
Jekel, you're 42 with crazy hormones?! well, my grandma went thru it at 38...

I make a crustless quiche, and eat it all week. It tastes great by popping it in the toaster oven for a bit (just on bake, then broil the last couple minutes), I think it's gross microwaved! http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011...ss-quiche.html I LOVE this recipe!!
thanks! I got the recipe from your link...I love stuff like this
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #11  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Syckgirlsfv,

I hope things are going well.

I've started a new Starters/Restarters thread here -- http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...ml#post4670082

I hope you'll join in.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #12  
California licensed CPA!

on my way over there now!