Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #1  

Default Dislike exercise

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and really would appreciate constructive feedback. I hate not being in shape. However whenever I try to get back into it I hate it tenfold than when I'm laying on the couch. Do you all have any exercise ideas that can ease me to a regular workout routine?
collegegirl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #2  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

You need to find something you enjoy. Think outside of the box on it. Not all exercise feels like exercise.

I mix mine up. I've taken pole studio classes, jiggle it (a booty poppin, shakin, twitchin, twerkin class), I went to a trampoline gym last weekend, I do triathlons, 5ks, 10ks, cycling events, etc.

I get bored and have to spice it up or I lose interest. I fell in love with the trampoline place last weekend (www.skyzone.com) and cannot wait to go again!!!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #3  

The last time I was in shape (about a year ago) I started jogging. I eventually got to doing two miles with ease. Do you recommend those couch to 5k workout programs?
collegegirl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I hated hated hated any form of exercise, but I did like dancing. So what worked for me was starting out with Zumba. I didn't feel like I was "working out" I felt like I was dancing.

Also, I took my dogs for long walks. I wasn't "exercising" I was doing something for my dogs.

My body still burned the calories but my mind was deceived!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #5  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

I would agree with everyone else so far - doing exercise that doesn't FEEL like exercise (which for me is anything involving a gym, other people, or workout clothes) is the best! I bought a bike in August and I love going for long bike rides - there's a river in town I like to bike around, as well as a farmer's market about a 20 minute ride away (one way) that gives me an excuse to go out. On that same note, the closest grocery store is a 30 minute walk away, so if I find excuses to walk over there often, that's a 70-ish minute block of walking.

Now that I've lost a little bit (and hit a plateau) I've started adding in more typical workouts (yoga and 30 Day Shred at the moment), but walking and biking were a great way to start and have continued to keep me active even on lazy days!
Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

I loathe exercise as a rule, but I started couch to 5K this week and its ok. While I'm not like, "yay, I get to work out today" and I feel like puking while I'm jogging, it actually feels great when I finish. I think I finally found a program I don't hate. And the app was only $1.99! Give it a try.
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/205.6/135

Height: 5'6"

What really helped me to enjoy exercise was finding a friend to do it with. I weight lift three times a week now with one of my friends, and it's SO much more fun because I have company, and it also keeps me accountable because she expects me to show up!

Before I started weight lifting, I assumed that I would hate all exercise for the sake of exercise, and that I hated gyms (because I've never enjoyed doing cardio at the gym). But it turned out that I really love lifting because it's not repetitive (I get to do a different lift every couple of minutes) and I was able to see visible results after just a couple weeks.

All that is to say that I encourage you to keep trying different kinds of exercise, even things you think you might not like, until you find something that clicks with you. You never know what you might end up enjoying!
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote