Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #1  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Default Healthy Snacks for the Road

I'm making a 10 hour road trip tomorrow (spring break!) all by my lonesome. Problem is, I'm a terrible nibbler when I'm travelling long distances by myself. I can deal with it by just not letting myself stop at all for food besides meal times, but I'd rather be able to snack a little since the trip is long.

Question is, does anyone have good ideas for healthy (even better, low calorie) snacks for the trip? I'm cutting up several cucumbers to munch on, but besides that I don't know of any others.
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #2  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Pre-popped low-fat popcorn would be a good idea. Its filling, low cal (about 200 per bag), and easy to munch on without causing a mess.

You'll probably want some sort of protein as well, so maybe some sort of turkey jerky or protein shake.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #3  

Cheese sticks would be good, maybe some crackers with peanutbutter (homemade and ready to eat on the road, not from a store) or maybe a peanutbutter sandwich on wholewheat bread, a banana, carrots and celery to go with your cucumber.

I'll keep thinking!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/150/140

Height: 5' 7"

Unsalted nuts, raw veggies, protein bars, fruit..I love the above Idea of a PB sandwich on whole wheat bread. Safe travels!!!!
TurboLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #5  

I like hot air or no fat microwave popcorn, string cheese sticks, grape tomatoes and carrot sticks - no sticky hands, crunchy and a nice mix of carb & protein - a sort of mini meal.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Cheese sticks, precut celery, presliced mushrooms, 100 calorie packs of nuts (or bag up your own ahead), grape tomatoes. Protein bars for meals. I keep the cooler right on the passenger seat. I love bringing baby peppers on road trips, but they're hard to eat while driving, so I save them for snacks after I arrive.

Drive safe!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #7  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I spend all day driving for my job. Most of my eating is done in the car. I keep a small cooler in the front floorboard with bottled water, peeled boiled eggs, Luna bars, apples, bananas and sometimes raw carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower and peppers.

If I find myself without enough food packed for the day or if I'm bored with what I have I stop at a convenience store for low sodium beef jerky (not all that healthy but 3oz is 150 cal and really fills you up). The bigger stores, like Pilot, Loves, etc (the big truck stops) often have Lara bars, Cliff bars and some fresh fruit at the counter.

If I want something hot, Taco Bell is my go to - one fresco chicken soft taco is 150 cal and always satisfies my need for warm, real food.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote