Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #1  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Erm... All stopped up from the protein

Drinking a nice cup of smooth move.

Am I not more likely to have the OPPOSITE problem after surgery? My sister did, but then they removed her gall bladder at the same time. My gall bladder is already gone so I'm much more used to the opposite of what I'm dealing with tonight.

My ERG is at the hospital at 6:30 tomorrow. Clear liquids only. I'm saying the smooth move counts.
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

From my observation and personal experience, constipation is more the rule than the exception with RNY. I never suffered from it preop and it is a constant battle to keep it at bay now. Many people have their own "recipe" for keeping it at bay, from probiotics, colace, magnesium oxide supplementation, to making sure to drink coffee daily.

I've never tried smooth move. I hope it works for you. Good luck on your ERG today.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

first - make sure you're getting enough water. And part of that means not counting your protein drink in your daily water intake.

And ya need fiber. As Zeitgeist noted - there are lots of OTC forms. or you can make sure you eat enough [which might mean more than usual]. My family each has their own little trick. Oranges and coffee work for me [but i don't usually drink coffee]. Bananas work for someone else. lentils and chick peas work, too.

good luck! and i don't usually have a problem with constipation as long as i eat at least one piece of fruit a day and at least 2 servings of veggies [with some whole grain something or other as well. brown rice works well, so does barley]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote