Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Question Scale Fluctuation Q (Scale Issue, not salt or water or anything!)

Hey ladies,

I've got a question about scales. I've got a fancy new Weight Watchers scale but I can get several different measurements in the same morning. I'm not talking the regular day-to-day water retention/sodium/normal body fluctuations, but fluctuations in the scale itself.

I know I need to weigh on a flat surface, but I find depending on where the scale is in the bathroom, I get a different reading up to a pound!

I know I could just leave it one spot! I am just wondering- does this mean my scale is ****? I do live in a slanted trailer in the Arctic that is on stilts...lol so maybe it's just uneven??

Thanks and have a lovely morning!

Sarah
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

My WW scale did the same thing, so I bought a better quality scale XD no offense to WW's but I find their scales terrible for older homes and I figure trailers are just as slanted as older homes. This new one weighs me the same wherever I put it and if I smack my foot off the side or bump it with something it wont weight me 5lbs diff up or down cause of it
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

My WW scale annoys me because it doesn't fluctuate, even when it's supposed to. If I weigh myself then pick up my 5lb kitten and weigh again, there will be no difference. Pretty sure it has a short term memory and if it's close enough to the first weight, it'll just show the first weight. I hate it. My fiance didn't believe that happens so I had to prove it to him lol.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Most scales don't like to be moved around. So, pick a spot and keep it there. Even so, you might bounce around a bit. I sometimes take three readings and take the middle one (if it doesn't land on the same one).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Does anyone have recs for a good scale? I'd really like a very accurate scale.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I bought, and returned, a WW scale. Didn't like it. And I consider myself somewhat of a scale expert.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I hate my WW scale. The buttons are placed so ridiculously; I can't stand on the scale without my toes pressing buttons.

So, I've given up on it. I just use my 4 year old scale...which has a different set of issues.

I just need a new scale. Recommends would be great.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5"6

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Unfortunately, our bathroom is so small I can't keep it out. I'll likely just continue the guessing game :/

Thank you!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I keep my scale in the living room because I don't have room in the bathroom either! The kitchen may also work for a scale. No one says a scale has to be in the bathroom.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I keep my scale in my bedroom by the nightstand (hardwood floors, whew!) since our bathroom is small. I use a WW scale (the glassy one) and it doesn't give me different readings at all if I step on it a few times in 5 minutes or anything like that. Although it tends to give me lower #s than the other one I have (homedics, I think.) Haha, I step on the WW scale if I'm feeling down or I want a lower number that day.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #11  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

I've never used a WW scale. However, I have noticed on my scales that my weight depends on where I actually stand on the scale. I try to place my feet in the very centre of the scale, but I can still get varying weights each time I weight myself at one time.
I saw someone say that they weight themselves a few times and pick the middle one, which is what I would advise.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #12  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

Tanita makes good scales.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote