Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Default Post-vacay Report: Tiny Gain!

Hey everyone! I'm baaaaaack!!! And very sunburned!

I wrote a few weeks ago stating that I was headed on a beach vacation for two weeks! I wanted to share my successes, woes and lessons learned from going on a beach vacay just a two months into my weight loss journey!

I started my weight loss at 210, and I left for vacay at 194.4 lbs. I had NO idea what to expect, as I had never been on an all-inclusive vacation before! I wrote myself a love letter for when I return, since I had no idea what sort of emotional state I'd be in. I had read of so many vacationers who take a break and never find their way out of the Diet Bermuda Triangle and I was worried a gain would derail me. I also didn't want to only eat celery on my trip!

Ultimately, I think I did pretty well with the food. My calorie intake is 1500 and I tried to aim for that ish, thinking "I'll still go over, but less so"? Sort of like telling someone who is always late to meet you at 7:00 when the movie doesn't really start till 8? My body was used to 1500 calories, so even with the buffet, that was fine.

The alcohol definitely put me over the limit, but I remember thinking on the beach "I want a pina colada. There are whales jumping near me and I am in Mexico and am I really going to look back on this moment and think 'good thing I had water' ?" In the end, I had the Pina Colada! It was delicious! I guess what I learned is that you've got to let yourself let go and enjoy the vacation, while still doing positive healthy things for yourself. I worked out at the gym 4 times while on vacation, and did one 4 km run (I felt like a dog at a leash-free park!) I also snorkelled, canoed, walked a lot, sweated a lot, danced a lot etc., and was overall more active than I would have been otherwise.

So, what was this morning's dehydrated, pre-TMI, sodium-filled, bloated weigh in? 195.3! Only 0.9 lbs higher than when I left. With some water and a visit from Aunt Flow, I may have actually LOST!

So, ladies, if I can give you one lesson: it wasn't the calories or the working out or the booze that either did me in or helped me maintain. It was my MINDSET and promise to myself that upon returning, no matter WHAT, I would continue my journey. I think the best thing I did of all was writing that letter telling myself it was okay if I gained and to keep at it anyway. I highlighted the 7 most difficult things I have ever accomplished in my life, and I said "If you can do those, beautiful, you can do anything!"

I'm glad to be back and look forward to sharing future struggles and successes with you all
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #2  

So happy you are back and sounds like you had a great time!!! Congrats on doing so well on your plan, even if you splurged and enjoyed yourself. Seems like it worked out great all around!

Edit to add----just reread your title and thought, that's NOT a tiny gain!! It's a BIG win!! You did excellent!!

Last edited by elvislover324; 03-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

That is awesome!! Sounds like you had a ton of fun and a huge blast!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #4  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

How wonderful Okay... I admit I did tear up a bit at the end...
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Awesome! I mainly gain water weight on vacations, then it comes off in a few days.
Except wine tasting trips...
Those make me bloat like a toad.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Awesome, just freaking awesome! Its all about the mindset isn't it? Man... we should figure out how to bottle that. We could be rich.

Congrats again!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #7  

Height: 5"6

Thanks so much, everyone! I seriously missed this forum!!! I am down to 192.8 as of this morning so I am definitely losing water weight! WOO!!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Great job and great mindset!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote