Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

Default nervous about getting the sleeve

Hi! So glad theres a forum on this. I went to a seminar last week and im currently waiting to make an appt to speak with the surgeons about the sleeve (and financing since my stupid ins doesnt cover it... siiiigh)
By nature, Im a worrier, especially when it comes to my health. Not sure why getting fat never worried me. Anyway, did any of you feel extremely nervous beforehand? I really want the surgery, but I fear it at the same time. Is there anything you guys did that helped you cope? Because the thought of having an actual surgery date freaks me out! Id be nervous from the day I get the surgery date until it actually happens!
The only time I feel like that is when I have to book a flight. Apparently my fear of flying is equal to the thought of surgery. My Dr once gave me a prescription for xanax for a flight I was taking, but I never filled it because I feel like I should deal with my fears on my own. Any ideas on how I could keep calm??? Aside from envisioning my "new" life to come?
Thanks!
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

good morning, 2Chi! As you see - i made your post its own thread. You've asked a GREAT Q that applies to ANY of the surgeries. So, more people will see it and respond.

In general, we'd be worried if you DIDN'T have some butterflies. Take your time making sure that this is the RIGHT decision for you, and then take a deep breath and keep telling yourself that it's OK.

One of the best tips i can give you, though, is to focus on changing your habits NOW, before the surgery. If you're a stress eater, focus on identifying what sets you off, how that feels to you, and then do something different. It might be exercise, or drinking water, or writing in a journal, or knitting, or talking to a friend or, or .... the possibilities are endless!

Any work you can do NOW, before the surgery, will put you that much farther ahead of the changes that you'll have to make any way.

BTW, what in heavens' name were you doing up before 5 in the morning?????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

I put off getting WLS for years, thinking I could get a handle on my weight on my own. But the only thing that happened was that I got larger and larger. I finally hit bottom and realized my fear of "what if" was preventing me from truly living. So, yes, I was definitely nervous about the decision, but since it took me a year to meet the preop insurance and center requirements, I did truly feel prepared once I got my surgery date.

I agree with Jiffy's advice (although I'm up every morning before 4:30a, lol); the more you can prepare now, the less stress you may feel about your decision.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #4  

Thank you Jiffypop for my own thread! And I loved what you said. I've been thinking about what you said, and I already know I eat the most at night because Im just sitting home... watching tv, online, and crocheting (lol).

Zeitgeist, thank you also. I know I'd keep gaining if I dont actually do this.

I have an appt on monday with my regular Dr.. just to discuss what I want to do and I'd like his thoughts/advice on surgery... Although Im pretty sure he recommended it in the past.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #5  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

I've spent the last year and a half researching WLS and weighing the pros/cons. It's not an easy decision, or the "Easy way out". It's a big step. I hope you get all of the information you need to make the decision that is best for you!! Let us know how your appointment goes!
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #6  

I will thanks! Have you done it?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #7  
Moooove It

I'm in the "holding pattern". Waiting on approval from my insurance, but I am not eligible for the sleeve. I will have a complete RNY due to a large para-esophageal hernia that must be repaired during surgery.

I actually called my insurance yesterday to check up. They said all they can tell me is that it is in process and I will receive a letter regarding the decision to approve or deny. I was told that it would be 7-10 business days and we submitted last Thursday... ((bite nails)).
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #8  

Ohh ok. I think this process is so slow... yet its only been about 2 weeks lol. I guess im patient.
I called the surgeons office again today and they told me I should be expecting an email from them in a few days.. Not sure what thats all about, but I guess once I receive it, I can finally make an appt.
Now Im just looking forward to my regular Drs appt on monday. The more info I get, the more calm I feel about it.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #9  
Moooove It

I'm approved and scheduled for surgery a week from Monday. I just ordered all of my liquid vitamins on Amazon, and I'm down 5lbs this week from the pre-op diet.

Suddenly, I fear this last week is going to feel like an eternity. Trying to get plans for all the kids sorted out so have a few days of peace to adjust.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 260 / CW 153.6 / GW 130

Height: 5' 1"

Hi! First post here, but a relative vet at 2yrs out (1/10/11 VSG). Being crazy nervous is totally, totally normal! Really would worry if you weren't since it's all a BIG deal! It's a huge change, but. Have no regrets at all. Pleased with my loss, though I don't follow a crazy strict diet, and now facing the new challenge of not eating "around" my sleeve!

Good luck, take your time and ask lots of questions!
anninva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #11  

Wow thats great MadCow! Im excited for you! Please keep me posted!

Anniva, Congrats on your success!

So since my insurance doesnt cover surgery, my mom offered to help me.
Although Im an adult, I still like the support from my mother and sister. It almost seems real now even though I havent spoken to the surgeons yet. Im mostly excited, but then I get those thoughts of OMG WHAT THE **** AM I DOING?? But then I get excited again. Hopefully the process will move long quickly for me, and I too can become a success story! I feel like coming out of surgery will be a "rebirth" for me. I cant wait to finally start living my life!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #12  

Hey 2Chi, I'm planning on getting a gastric band, but I just thought I'd pop in and let you know I'm here to support you if you ever need it! We're in very close circumstances (height & weight) though you've lost a bit more weight than I have already. I also have those moments of being scared and wondering what I'm doing, but I know deep down that this is what's right for me. You stole the words right out of my mouth on that last bit there - I also feel like surgery is going to be the 'rebirth' I need to start living the life I always knew I could
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

funny you should mention that 'rebirth' thing. Many people celebrate their re-birthdays [their surgery anniversary]. I'm not one of them, but I can sure understand why someone would do it!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

2Chi-if your surgeons office has support groups that may be another great source of information and support.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 282

Height: 168cm

Hi!! I'm in a similar boat to you (about upcoming surgery I mean, not so much the nerves)

I think my big motivator is watching my mother fading before my eyes, she's just got out of a 4 week stint in hospital, she has numerous medical issues including dialysis 3 days a week, type 2 diabetes and the list goes on - I have a 2 year old myself and I'm barely 34 years old. The idea of him watching me go through what my mother is just breaks my heart and I refuse to let that happen, having a child has been my biggest motivator (although I don't recommend a child just for motivation *winks*) - I think everyone needs to find their own reasons, and they need to set their own goals and their own dreams....

I dunno about you, but I have bought a pair of "skinny" jeans that hand on my bedroom door...they are like 4 sizes too small but they are my goal!! And I'll get there.....When I imagine myself fitting into them I get super excited..and that helps the motivation too!! Good luck!
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote