Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #1  
Started IP 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 290/187/110

Height: 5'1"

Default Cooked Onions?

I have a question about onions.I like onions, but I've heard that you can't cook them, and I don't like raw onions.I've been on the diet about a month now and have had cooked onions.I usually just saute them in pan with some olive oil.Is this not allowed?I would like to be able to eat cooked onions!Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
cmk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #2  

Caramelizing onions chemically creates sugars which is a no no on ideal protein diet. My phase one sheet says raw onions only
mnfenixtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfenixtx View Post
Caramelizing onions chemically creates sugars which is a no no on ideal protein diet. My phase one sheet says raw onions only
It doesn't "create" sugar. It draws out the natural sugars and caramelizes them. The sugar is there whether you eat the onions raw or not.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfenixtx View Post
You could try the in a slow cooker. There was a thread on that. Crockpot is too low of heat for caramelization to occur. I have done that. Or I put them in near the end of my cooking so they don't caramelize. They are a bit on raw side, but I like onions either way. I still use way way less onions then I used to though. I am also an onion lover. I use a lot of green onions instead and even shallots. Which for all I know could be the same as onions.....
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #5  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Here's a link discussing the issue: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ed-onions.html

Scorbett references a link that describes the chemical reaction when onions are cooked.

I think people fall into two groups: (1) only use raw onions (2) cook but do not brown. Pretty much everyone agrees that carmalization is not OP.
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

The veggie list on my sheet says green onions and then later in the list says onions (raw only). I interpreted this to mean green onions could be either way since it didn't specify and that the more "traditional" onions had to be raw (because of the sugar/carmelization). So I have been sauteeing green onions for the onion flavor and eating the others raw, though really not a lot of either.

According to some on line info about onions, sugars and carbs, onions gain sugar as they mature. Green onions are young and have less sugars. Red, white, yellow onions are mature and contain more sugars. So that all makes sense.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #7  
Started IP 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 290/187/110

Height: 5'1"

Ok, well it sounds like you can cook onions, just not carmalize them.I've just been sauteing my onions in a pan with a little olive oil.
cmk79 is offline   Reply With Quote