Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #1  

Default Herbal Magic

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this plan? Used it, work for them, a doctor, nutrionist etc? My Mom has just signed up for this, and I'm concerned that it isn't the best plan, but I don't know anything about it. My first instinct is that anything that says that weight loss can be fixed by a pill is bad. Do they promote exercise, healthy eating, etc? Also, I'm concerned that the herbs could have a nasty interaction with the medication she is taking. She didn't ask her doctor about it - but said that the program has specialits that ensure that there won't be any bad effect.

I also don't want to say too much to discourage her - as at this point - anything is a positive change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Heather
Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 PM   #2  
it's always something

You are right to be concerned. I checked the ingredients for most of their products.. and they were not easy to find, as they put them in very tiny text! It was all the same old herbs that are in other products, though they are charging quite a bit more for them!

NONE of the ingredients that I saw have been proven to assist in weight loss. Many of them have actually been proven NOT to help weight loss, but supplement manufacturers still sell them as weight loss aids. There were a lot of ingredients on the lists which could make her jittery, and could possibly make her ill.

Their on site info does not tell how much of each ingredient is supposed to be in each dosage. Remember that these types of products are not regulated by the FDA. This means that the ingredients show on the list can be in any dosage, including negligible amounts, none at all, or dangerously high dosages. Every pill will vary from the next, as it is not controlled. Also, they frequently contain contaminants such as lead.

I didn't see any medical warnings on their site. Some of the herbs can have dangerous side effects, particularly if taken with prescription drugs. This is true for ALL herbal supplements, but most people assume that if it is an 'herb' then it is safe. Not true. Many herbal products cause serious health problems, from rashes, to heart irregularities, vision problems, increased or decreased blood pressure, increased risk of bleeding, kidney problems, and the list goes on.

Read this thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=32108 for a very interesting Q&A with a doctor about diet supplements.

Even if your mother does take these pills, she will still have to burn more calories than she takes in to lose weight. Eat less, move more. Most of these products include copies of a standard low calorie diet plan and they tell you that you must follow the plan to see results. Any weight loss that results is from the low calorie diet plan, not the pills.

Encourage her to join Weight Watchers. My mother just lost 33 pounds on WW, to reach her goal. Or pick up a copy of the South Beach Diet book for her! It's easy to follow, and it's particularly healthy for older people because it's developed by a cardiologist specifically for heart health. Or at least try to talk her into asking her doctor for advice. They will likely hand her a printout of a standard low calorie diet plan to follow. But they won't tell her to take herbal diet pills.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #3  

Thanks for the advice. I have encourage Mom to join WW, as that is what I am doing. However, I think that she is at the point of looking for the "Magic" in weight loss, I don't think that she has come to the conclusion that she will have to work at it.

I guess I'll try and convince her to see her doctor - for my peace of mind. If her doctor backs her on it - then I guess I will as well. Until then, I'm worried.
Closed Thread