Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #1  

Default Sausage for Phase 1

Does anyone know if there is a brand of Sausage that is acceptable for Phase 1? I could really go for some sausage and peppers!
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #2  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Sausage tends to be quite high in fat, so it is probably difficult to find. My sister recently referred me to this reciple. If you use lean ground turkey, it should be fine. Maybe check with one of the experts on whether ground ginger is ok or not as a spice.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-tu...e7=Home%20Page
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I would stay away from it, personally. We're trying to stay low-fat as well as low-carb. Sausages are generally processed and a serving size is probably only 2 oz. Since we need 8 oz per day you would need to quadruple the serving size.

I have seen sausage that's made with only white meat chicken breast and spices. If you really feel you need it I would only have 2 oz for flavor then have 6 oz of some other approved protein.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #4  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

I make my own sausage so I have been having it once in a while but no too often since it is high in sodium...
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #5  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

You can find recipes easily enough to make your own. There is none I have been able to find that is IP friendly. Even Jenny-O turkey sausage is way too high in fat (anything over 30% of calories of fat is too high)

Here's a site for lean sausage recipes: http://homecooking.about.com/library...fatsausage.htm

But look at the serving size. Even with the light recipes, it's around 2oz servings.

Last edited by leannekarella; 03-07-2013 at 12:15 PM.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

my father-in-law makes homemade sausage. I've had it 3 times in the last 5 weeks of being OP. It hasn't hurt me in any way. but again its as pure as it can be. no fillers, no sugars, very low sodium.
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #7  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post
my father-in-law makes homemade sausage. I've had it 3 times in the last 5 weeks of being OP. It hasn't hurt me in any way. but again its as pure as it can be. no fillers, no sugars, very low sodium.
Tell him you know some nice IPers who would love to take some off his hands!
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post

The wife and I contemplating making our own IP friendly versions as well. We currently make our own beef and pork sausage anyway - so it wouldn't take much imho to adjust the recipes into an IP friendly version.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

There are a few problems with store bought sausage:
- they are VERY high in fat
- they are full of fillers (cartilage, starch, etc)
- You need to eat multiple servings to get the right amount of protein, which jacks up your fat, salt and carb intake.

If you make your own, you know exactly what has gone into it and can be sure you're using lean meat. But if that's not an option, what I have recommended is to use 2oz sausage and 4-6oz of another lean meat (lean ground beef, ground chicken/turkey, chopped chicken, etc) when making your dishes - that way the sausage will flavor the dish, but not add too much of what we shouldn't be having.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Tell him you know some nice IPers who would love to take some off his hands!
If only I could send them to you.lol .. just befriend some oldschool Italians... they will feed you the good stuff. lol and the non-OP items. thats the most difficult part with my family. no pasta and pizza... and I mean the real authentic stuff. ((
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #11  
td1

I have been doing the low fat turkey sausage with no problems. Walmart also has some flavored chicken sausage (buffalo & italian) that is pretty good. if you get the flavored sausage though there is 1-2 carbs per patty. So i just choose a lower carb snack for the day. Oh they are only 3.5oz so you need a little more on your other protein.

My basic limits are 4oz = >15g protein <15g fat <250 calories

That said most of my meat is <150cal <10g fat >22g protein

I use 4oz since i break up the 8oz in 2 meals.
td1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #12  

Well you all inspired me to make my own! I found this turkey sausage recipe out on the interweb somewhere! I did cook them on a Foreman grill instead of the frying pan, they came out much better and I didn't have to use extra oil or butter, instead used PAM spray to make them not stick. They didn't seem to cook evenly enough for me in a frying pan.

I made 1oz patties out of these then I whipped up a batch of Finn's IP Fluffy Potato Rolls, made 6 of them instead of 5. When the rolls were done I let them cool just a bit until they unpuffed a bit, then made 3 little sausage biscuits with cheese out of them! Each muffin was a side, it seemed impossible to cut these rolls in half. I took 1 slice of veggie cheese and quartered it, used 3 squares and saved the last for the next day! These are my new weekend breakfast! They are awesome!

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1½ teaspoon seasoning salt or smoked salt (I used our IP Salt)
1½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of clove
pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of cayenne (optional)
1 teaspoon sage
½ - 1 tablespoon of SF Syrup
½ -1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)

Instructions:
Place ground turkey in a large bowl; set aside.
Mix together spices.
Add spices to ground turkey and mix until spices are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
Mix in olive oil if using. (this adds extra moisture)
Shape turkey sausage into small 1 oz patties.
Fry up a small sample patty to test out the seasonings. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a bit of olive oil and I can't believe its not butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
Place sausages into the hot skillet and cook until until browned and the middle is no longer pink.
Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the patty.
Be careful not to overcook or the sausages will be dry in texture.
Let sausage drain on paper towels.
Serve or freeze.

Yes below picture only has 2! That's because the third one is in MA BELLY!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolls.jpg (4.5 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by Dolemite; 03-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Does anyone know if there is a brand of Sausage that is acceptable for Phase 1? I could really go for some sausage and peppers!
II have made my own with Turkey (ground). Get the super lean. I added some garlic powder, allspice and fennell. Excellent. I think I got the recipe on these threads...the recipe threads.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of clove
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil (option

Thanks for recipe just made up a batch to try tonight. Similar to the ones I made with chicken earlier in the week, but with the addition of cloves, pepper flakes, thyme, cayene, we will see how these ones taste. I also added two green onions to the mix because I love onions.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #15  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Well you all inspired me to make my own! I found this turkey sausage recipe out on the interweb somewhere! I did cook them on a Foreman grill instead of the frying pan, they came out much better and I didn't have to use extra oil or butter, instead used PAM spray to make them not stick. They didn't seem to cook evenly enough for me in a frying pan.

I made 1oz patties out of these then I whipped up a batch of Finn's IP Fluffy Potato Rolls, made 6 of them instead of 5. When the rolls were done I let them cool just a bit until they unpuffed a bit, then made 3 little sausage biscuits with cheese out of them! Each muffin was a side, it seemed impossible to cut these rolls in half. I took 1 slice of veggie cheese and quartered it, used 3 squares and saved the last for the next day! These are my new weekend breakfast! They are awesome!

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of clove
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)

Instructions:
Place ground turkey in a large bowl; set aside.
Mix together spices.
Add spices to ground turkey and mix until spices are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
Mix in olive oil if using. (this adds extra moisture)
Shape turkey sausage into small 1 oz patties.
Fry up a small sample patty to test out the seasonings. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a bit of olive oil and I can't believe its not butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
Place sausages into the hot skillet and cook until until browned and the middle is no longer pink.
Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the patty.
Be careful not to overcook or the sausages will be dry in texture.
Let sausage drain on paper towels.
Serve or freeze.

I'm responding to this mainly so I can find this recipe again later when I need some sausage. YUM!
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote