Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Surgery, Not Allowed To Eat All Day...

Well, I found out today that I must have surgery on my thumb/hand on Friday. My surgery isn't until 3:45pm and I can't eat anything 12 hours before. I guess this means I'm going to be off program, so do I just pick up where I leave off the next morning? I probably won't feel like eating much that night after my surgery...maybe I'll just drink a shake and take my pain pills (my doc said this recovery will be a painful one, they are reconstructing all my ligaments and tendons in my thumb).

I hope this doesn't mess me up. ugh.
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchawittygal View Post
Well, I found out today that I must have surgery on my thumb/hand on Friday. My surgery isn't until 3:45pm and I can't eat anything 12 hours before. I guess this means I'm going to be off program, so do I just pick up where I leave off the next morning? I probably won't feel like eating much that night after my surgery...maybe I'll just drink a shake and take my pain pills (my doc said this recovery will be a painful one, they are reconstructing all my ligaments and tendons in my thumb).

I had knee replacement surgery in December. Don't worry about phasing off or anything just do the best that you can to stay OP once you can eat again. Just a word of caution.....pain pills take away ur appetite! I had to force myself to eat several days but I just did the best I could and actually posted losses the whole time I was recovering.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
I had knee replacement surgery in December. Don't worry about phasing off or anything just do the best that you can to stay OP once you can eat again. Just a word of caution.....pain pills take away ur appetite! I had to force myself to eat several days but I just did the best I could and actually posted losses the whole time I was recovering.
Very good to know Maezy. I will certainly keep that in mind.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #4  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

Good luck..i hope you have a speedy recovery!
jeffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Our bodies are well adapted to short term fasts. If you eat dinner the night before - and have a shake the evening of - thats 24 hours.

There is an entire diet book around the concept of not eating for 24 hours a couple times a week called Eat Stop Eat and the general idea of this is called intermittent fasting. I actually live my life this way which is how I've maintained my weight effortlessly for the last two years.

Long story short - you've got nothing to worry about. Most people don't even find themselves hungrier than normal the day after a 24 hour fast.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

I'd talk to your coach if you can. I was speaking to mine about this type of thing the other day and she said you really should come out of ketosis before having surgery. Something about the way your body has to process the anesthetic and it being way too hard on your liver or kidneys, etc. You don't have too much time to phase of entirely but something to think about.

Good luck!!!
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Quote:

Good luck! Hoping for a speedy (& not so painful) recovery
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #8  

Thanks John, that's really good to know. I'm thinking I won't be too hungry, most likely the only thing on my mind will be the pain, not eating..LOL

I never thought about that IPDiva, my coach dropped me a couple weeks ago due to not buying all my food through her, so all I have is you wonderful folks here at 3FC. Hopefully this won't pose a problem coming out of the anestesia.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:

Probably the day pre-surgery will go by pretty quickly, as I imagine you have to check in at the hospital in the early afternoon. And you likely won't feel that much like eating for a while afterward. It if was me I'd probably stick with the shakes, soups, gelatins, etc. the rest of that day after the surgery. Maybe blend up veggies in a soup? That can be quite filling and goes down easily. Then ease back into your normal IP routine the next day. Sorry you have to go through this - Good luck with everything.

Last edited by evepet; 03-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote