Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/136/125

Height: 5'7"

Question gained weight on atkins induction please help!

I was eating only one meal a day holding my weight down. I wanted to get back into a healthy eating plan so I started atkins again. Im on day 4 and have gained 3.2 pounds. Can any one tell me why im gaining and not loosing?
diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonds View Post
I was eating only one meal a day holding my weight down. I wanted to get back into a healthy eating plan so I started atkins again. Im on day 4 and have gained 3.2 pounds. Can any one tell me why im gaining and not loosing?
I'm a little confused, you say you're on day 4 of Atkins Induction....but....you're only eating one meal a day Just curious as to what exactly you are eating & drinking on Induction.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-06-2013 at 07:39 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I'm a little confused, you say you're on day 4 of Atkins Induction....but....you're only eating one meal a day Just curious as to what exactly you are eating & drinking on Induction.
I am eating my 3 meals a day now not just one. Im drinking around 120oz of water a day. But im gaining weight instead of loosing?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
I am eating my 3 meals a day now not just one. Im drinking around 120oz of water a day. But im gaining weight instead of loosing?
Can you give me a typical day of what you're eating for your 3 meals?

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #5  

Question

Quote:
Can you give me a typical day of what you're eating for your 3 meals?
Breakfast I usually eat 2 eggs and 2 to3 pieces of sausage. Lunch I have a salad a cup of lettuce 1/4 cup of cheese, chicken, a table spoon of bacon bits 1/2 cup of mushrooms. With Walden farms dressing. For supper I have a salad 1 cup of lettuce and a 1/4 cup of cheeseand Walden farms dressing with steak and a 1/2 cup of cauliflower cooked.
Its very close to the stuff I ate when I started Atkins in June of last year and lost weight
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

what were you eating when you were eating one meal a day?
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Breakfast I usually eat 2 eggs and 2 to3 pieces of sausage. Lunch I have a salad a cup of lettuce 1/4 cup of cheese, chicken, a table spoon of bacon bits 1/2 cup of mushrooms. With Walden farms dressing. For supper I have a salad 1 cup of lettuce and a 1/4 cup of cheeseand Walden farms dressing with steak and a 1/2 cup of cauliflower cooked.
Its very close to the stuff I ate when I started Atkins in June of last year and lost weight
It doesn't seem like you are eating enough fat or veggies. Most people aren't aware that 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day on Induction should be coming from salads & veggies on the acceptable foods list. Also, the Walden Farms dressing is pretty much a "processed" product....meaning it contains ingredients you most likely can not even pronounce. You should also be mindful of the cheese, you are eating 4 oz of cheese a day which is the limit. Cheese is a common staller for most people, you may want to consider cutting it back to 1 to 2 oz.
I also wanted to mention, if you are taking birth control or are on any type of medication, keep in mind those can also play havoc with your weightloss.
I hope this helps!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #8  

Quote:
It doesn't seem like you are eating enough fat or veggies. Most people aren't aware that 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day on Induction should be coming from salads & veggies on the acceptable foods list. Also, the Walden Farms dressing is pretty much a "processed" product....meaning it contains ingredients you most likely can not even pronounce. You should also be mindful of the cheese, you are eating 4 oz of cheese a day which is the limit. Cheese is a common staller for most people, you may want to consider cutting it back to 1 to 2 oz.
I also wanted to mention, if you are taking birth control or are on any type of medication, keep in mind those can also play havoc with your weightloss.
I hope this helps!
Thank you. I will try changing that and see what happens
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
what were you eating when you were eating one meal a day?
A very small salad
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
A very small salad
Unfortunately, lots of people believe the less you eat, the more you'll lose. Not true! As odd as this may sound, if you want to lose weight, you need to be eating enough.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

Are the numbers in your start/current/goal info correct? If so, then for a 129 lb 5'7" (woman, I'm assuming), weight loss is going to go much slower for you than it is for a "near 300 pounder" like myself. Even if you have switched your current and goal weights mistakenly, which would make your current weight 136 and your goal weight 129, the scale will move fairly slowly for you.

I know this may be tough, but I would recommend you don't weigh yourself until you are finished with the entire 2 weeks of induction. Give your body some time to adjust to the plan, move some water in and out, and so on.

Also - JerseyGyrl makes an excellent point about processed products. So many of these are Atkins unfriendly. When I was doing strict Atkins, I would try to make my own salad dressings from things like real mayo, olive oil, spices, etc...in an effort to avoid these processed foods.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 153/146/115 (HW of 198)

Height: 5'2

I'm trying to figure out why you're trying to lose weight with Atkins if you're 5'7 and 129? If you were trying to maintain by only eating 1 meal a day, your body was used to next to no calories. To suddenly switch over to Atkins, you're probably eating a similar amount of carbs but your calorie count will have shot up, which is why you're gaining the weight. If your s/c/g are correct, you're at the point that really you want to be at the gym with weights and doing some pilates.
Bex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #13  

Sorry ladies I had my weight entered in wrong.
I am also not trying to loose loose a lot of weight I just would like to get back to where I was before I gained some weight back. I would love to start a gym but I can't afford a membership to one.
Thanks everyone for all the support
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Sorry ladies I had my weight entered in wrong.
I am also not trying to loose loose a lot of weight I just would like to get back to where I was before I gained some weight back. I would love to start a gym but I can't afford a membership to one. Thanks everyone for all the support
With all the great exercise dvd's available, a gym isn't necessary. You can exercise in the privacy of your own home
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #15  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Eating only a small salad a day was probably depriving your body greatly. When you starve yourself like that, more often than not you will have an initial gain when you start to eat normally again.

You are only a few days in, your body has to get used to the idea of you not depriving it. Concentrate on adding more healthy fats and veggies. Reward your body with the food it needs. Eventually you will balance out if you haven't done too much damage.

I'm glad you made the decision to eat more, I'd hate to think what would happen to you if you kept up with the way you were.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote