Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #1  

Default Weight loss while pregnant? Advice.

This is the last place I thought I'd be posting!

Six days ago my Fiance and I found out that were having a baby. I wanted to wait 2-5 years but it was meant to be. We're shocked, but excited! We haven't told anyone yet, and tomorrow is my first doctor appointment.

I was always heavy and accepted it. Then in 2010 I decided to take action and lost 140 lbs. When I got pregnant with my son, who is now 6, I weighed 240 lbs. and when I had him I weighed 260 lbs. My highest weight was 277 lbs. at the time that I began losing. While I was pregnant I ate anything and everything without guilt because I had an excuse to, and I ate whatever anyway when not pregnant so why not. It was my time to pig out! I probably would have gained more but I lost weight during the end of my pregnancy. Now that I'm food conscious I'm terrified! I wont give in to cravings, I wont use the excuse. If I feel sorry for myself that I cannot do the normal pregnancy cravings I just remember, I feel better eating healthy.

The past 8 months I've been struggling with my weight. Something I never thought Id say because I have not gone off track, and I eat healthy! I've been up and down 15 lbs. but never losing more than 10 lbs. of it until I gain again. I'm trying so hard but this 15-18 lbs is SO much harder than the 140 lbs. Right smack dab in trying really hard I find out that I am pregnant. I want to lose the 15 to feel good. Right now I weigh 160 lbs. when 144 lbs. is where I am comfortable and happy at. My Family said I was getting too skinny when I weighed 144 lbs. but I just think they weren't used to me ever being even remotely close to "skinny". Recently I was 152 lbs. and losing, then creeped up to 155 lbs. when I was due for my period, now I'm up to 160 lbs.

Tomorrow one of my top questions is, Is it safe to still lose weight while pregnant? I know I will lose slower or only maintain if I do so, but I just don't want to gain an excessive amount of weight. Losing fat and gaining baby weight can even itself out, Ill even be ecstatic to maintain this weight. Right now I'm eating healthy yet still creeping up. What comes first is nutrients for the baby. Hopefully the doctor has some good advice. Please share if you have any!
GypsyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Talk to your doctor. I paused my weightloss journey to conceive. Got pregnant, was uber--paranoid about weight gain. Running a lot. Lost baby at six weeks in. Gained 10 lbs dealing with that. Got pregnant the next month with baby I just had in October. I'm 4 months out, from a C-section, no less, and working on the last 3 lbs of baby weight. I had healthy eating habits established already and ate healthy with treats here and there. Only gained 30. Congratulations, and remember you can get back to fighting form postpartum.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

You don't need to gain more than about 20-25 lbs for a healthy pregnancy. You can still work out and maintain your fitness level. Speaking with your doctor is great, just don't be surprised when they advise against weight loss.

Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #4  
Sisyphus

S/C/G: 195 / 169.0 / 110

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations!

Keeping your weight gain under control during pregnancy is a really sensible thing to do, but try to prepare yourself for the possibility that your body won't cooperate.

I was pregnant last year (had my little man in July) and was determined to gain at the very lower end of the scale. I ate really well, plenty of fresh fruit and veg and very little junk, but even so my body seemed to retain every calorie I ate. I ended up gaining almost 30lbs and even more when breastfeeding. Only now that my baby's nursing less are those pounds slipping away.

I don't mean to be discouraging, and maybe your body will co-operate more than mine did, but it might be an idea to just do the best you can so that you have the least possible work to do afterwards.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

First congratulations!

Almost anywhere you are going to look for advice on this topic is going to tell you NOT to try and lose weight while pregnant. There is a lot of worry that a calorie deficient while pregnant will deny the growing baby the nutrients it needs.

I'm in a similar situation. I recently found out I was unexpectantly pregnant with my second child. I've been working on my own weight lose for some time now and the last thing I want to do is put on unnecessary baby weight. That and my due date is the same date as my sister's wedding, where I am the maid of honor.

It seems that everyone is different when it comes to gaining weight while pregnant. Some women put on an extra 60-80 lbs and never seem to really take it back off, some put on the recommended range of 30lb and get it off within 6 months after baby, and some put on 15 or less lb and end up lighter after they give birth.

Your body is going to do what it wants. Some of us stockpile every extra calorie and some of our metabolism speeds up. Your best bet is to eat healthy calories and keep in mind that all you really need is about 300 extra calories a day, and that only once you reach the second trimester.

However, one thing I have found that really seems to make a difference is exercise. From what I've gathered women who keep up a good exercise program manage to both a) keep off extra weight gain while pregnant and b) lose any extra weight much quicker after having their baby. Plus it helps keep down aches and pains.

With my first pregnancy I wasn't conscious at all about weight gain. But because I kept in mind trying to make healthier food choices and I was active because my husband and I were in the middle of house renovations I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans within a week of having my baby. I'm actually pretty sure I lost weight (fat weight) while my baby belly grew.

A random bonus; once you have your baby you'll develop mad arm muscles from lifting and carrying them around. Especially once they reach 30lb as a toddler.

Last edited by CanadianMomma; 03-06-2013 at 06:59 AM.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been eating super healthy and working out and losing weight and just found out I was pregnant and have lost 6 lbs this month due to changing my diet and working out ...
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I would just eat what you normally eat. And exercise as you normally exercise. It's a precious time. Worry about the weight later.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #8  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

My wife had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with your first child. Because of this she had to go on a special diet for most of her pregnancy. Her OB/GYN had her see dietician to set her up on a diabetic diet. As a result, she actually wound up losing weight during her pregnancy.

I second the advice to check with your OB/GYN. I wouldn't do ANYTHING without his/her blessing.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #9  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

During my last pregnancy I weighed around 180 at the beggining at 181 at the end. I wasn't aiming to lose weight after but ended up at less than 160 a few weeks after. I suffer from extreme nausea during pregnancy so I ate about 6 smalls meals, I pretty much ate something every two hours. I would ask your dr for recommendations cause only he or she know what would be safe for u and the baby. Congrats!
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMomma View Post
First congratulations!

Almost anywhere you are going to look for advice on this topic is going to tell you NOT to try and lose weight while pregnant. There is a lot of worry that a calorie deficient while pregnant will deny the growing baby the nutrients it needs.

I'm in a similar situation. I recently found out I was unexpectantly pregnant with my second child. I've been working on my own weight lose for some time now and the last thing I want to do is put on unnecessary baby weight. That and my due date is the same date as my sister's wedding, where I am the maid of honor.

It seems that everyone is different when it comes to gaining weight while pregnant. Some women put on an extra 60-80 lbs and never seem to really take it back off, some put on the recommended range of 30lb and get it off within 6 months after baby, and some put on 15 or less lb and end up lighter after they give birth.

Your body is going to do what it wants. Some of us stockpile every extra calorie and some of our metabolism speeds up. Your best bet is to eat healthy calories and keep in mind that all you really need is about 300 extra calories a day, and that only once you reach the second trimester.

However, one thing I have found that really seems to make a difference is exercise. From what I've gathered women who keep up a good exercise program manage to both a) keep off extra weight gain while pregnant and b) lose any extra weight much quicker after having their baby. Plus it helps keep down aches and pains.

With my first pregnancy I wasn't conscious at all about weight gain. But because I kept in mind trying to make healthier food choices and I was active because my husband and I were in the middle of house renovations I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans within a week of having my baby. I'm actually pretty sure I lost weight (fat weight) while my baby belly grew.

A random bonus; once you have your baby you'll develop mad arm muscles from lifting and carrying them around. Especially once they reach 30lb as a toddler.
My Sisters wedding was supposed to be September 2013, then she changed it earlier to April 20th and booked everything, then a few months ago she realized she needed more time so it got changed it back to September 2013! I am due October 29th so Ill be huge! We already have our dresses and luckily they're flowy in the belly area so I have plenty of room to grow. I feel your pain in the wedding area! lol
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #11  

I went to the first Doctor visit the day after I posted this, and she said that I could not continue to lose weight since my BMI is perfect, but I could maintain my weight and that I only had to gain 10 to 15 lbs.

The first 2 months I maintained my weight, then after 2 months gained 2 lbs. Now I'm almost 14 weeks and I've gained 3-4 lbs. I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and everything looks great. I just had another checkup and the doctor said my weight gain is right on.

Although I only maintained my weight the first few months I noticed my weight had shifted differently and I looked like I gained when I hadnt. I'm still struggling with the thought of having to gain a little weight, and dealing with the changes but I'm getting better with the changes. Its just sad to feel like you're on top of the world to feeling like you did before you lost weight even when only gaining a few lbs. I've continued to eat healthy, throw in a few extra things here or there, and still feel healthy. Ill never go back to eating the way I did before, pregnancy cravings or not.