Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/277/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Over the counter meds

Hi all,
Newbie here and I was wondering if someone can answer a question for me about over the counter meds.

I see a lot of people posting about killer headaches in the first week and have noticed that the general response is to drink water with salt in it.. but I havent noticed anyone suggest a good dose of Advil or tylonel... which is likely what i would do if i was suffering from a migraine type headache!? Are we not supposed to take over the counter meds?

Another otc that i use regularily right now is Tums for heartburn... and i usually need it at night when i lay down. Does anyone have experience with not needing these anymore ...are they ok to take?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
DannaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannaA View Post
Hi all,
Newbie here and I was wondering if someone can answer a question for me about over the counter meds.

I see a lot of people posting about killer headaches in the first week and have noticed that the general response is to drink water with salt in it.. but I havent noticed anyone suggest a good dose of Advil or tylonel... which is likely what i would do if i was suffering from a migraine type headache!? Are we not supposed to take over the counter meds?

Another otc that i use regularily right now is Tums for heartburn... and i usually need it at night when i lay down. Does anyone have experience with not needing these anymore ...are they ok to take?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
The salt suggestion is because VERY often in the early part of Phase 1, the headaches are a direct result of electrolyte imbalance, which adding salt takes care of. If that doesn't work or you have a true migraine, take whatever OTC meds you need to

TUMS is going to be an issue while on IP - there is sugar and starch in them, neither of which you can have on Phase 1. You MAY actually find that your heartburn significantly decreases from being on IP, the diet is very anti-inflammatory on your digestive system. If you still have issues with the heartburn, you should talk to your doctor about sugar-free alternatives to the tums.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #3  

Height: 5'2 1/2

I take Aleve when I have headaches or cramps and it has not stalled my weight loss. I believe OTC cough meds might have an affect on your weight loss because of the sugar in these meds but I'm not 100 % positive on that.
IntheEvening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheEvening View Post
I take Aleve when I have headaches or cramps and it has not stalled my weight loss. I believe OTC cough meds might have an affect on your weight loss because of the sugar in these meds but I'm not 100 % positive on that.
You are correct about the cough meds. We basically have to think like diabetics while in Phase 1. The good news is that there are sugar free liquid medicines available, and the pill forms of most cold/flu remedies do not contain sugar. When in doubt, ask your pharmacist and tell them you need diabetic safe medication!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #5  

Thanks guys I am really hoping that I can wean off the tums... my two pregnancies totally killed my reflux and i take anywhere from 2-6 tums a night.. although i do find that if i have eaten close enough to bedtime it isnt so bad.

I was on a prescription for my heartburn.. but it was way to expensive so i switched to the tums! Again i really hope that the heartburn goes away
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

they do make sugar free tums. They are orange creme flavored and say sugar free right on the front.

(btw, I'm not an IP person but am also doing a low fat, low carb diet, and my reflux has cleared up completely after just a few weeks. I was taking generic Pepcid every night, and now take nothing at all)
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #7  

thanks April for the heads up about the sugar free tums.. its nice to know there is an alternative if i need it .. although i am really hoping that the reflux and even my ibs take a long long long hike out of my system
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

I used to get heartburn ALL.THE. TIME. Don't remember the last time I did, but certainly not since I started IP. You may find with this diet overall, yours goes away too.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #9  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

This diet is a very alkaline diet. Which helps with acid reflux! I used to take tums every night, and since starting IP haven't needed them at all.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 251/188/135

I suffered with heartburn and reflux before IP. I've been on the program for 6 almost 7 weeks and have had NO issues since practically day one! I was dreading the water intake because that's when my burn was the worst, but alas, no issues! Not only am I losing weight, but I feel more alert and have no reflux issues! Loving IP!!!!
aliboo723 is offline   Reply With Quote