Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Curious...what do y'all do for exercise, anyway?

I'm not exactly new to this whole exercise thing. I've always been a walker and I do go to the gym (my new goal is to get to the gym six days a week.)

But I've been realizing lately that maybe -- just maybe -- the reason I've always given up on the gym thing in the past is because I always do the same freakin' thing, over and over. It may seem like a "duh" thing to most people, but I'm just realizing that if I switch it up a bit, I may just have more success this time around.

The thing is? I'm...stuck as to ideas. o_O Sounds stupid, I know, but there it is! Usually I'm a treadmill/elliptical/recumbent bike type girl, but there ARE other cardio machines at my gym (namely, stationary bikes and stairmasters.) The reason I've never tried the stationary bikes is because...well...they look like they would be uncomfortable (if not impossible) for someone of my build (I'm only 5' and have short legs.) The reason I've never tried the stairmaster? Because I'm a wimp. Bahahaha.

There's also a cross-training centre at my gym, and it has all the standard free weights/machines. There's also stuff available like jump ropes, aerobic step equipment, yada yada yada.

So I'm asking you all: What are your exercise routines? How often do you work out, and for how long? Maybe if I see some of the stuff you guys do, I'll get some new ideas for routines and not get bored!

Thank you all in advance for any replies.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/142/125

Height: 5'6

Running really helped me. I lost the first 20 pounds by running and eating better. I'm sure I could have lost more by now if I ran everyday or at least 3 or 4 times a week though. If someone would have told me that I was going to be a runner I would have laughed at them, but now I actually like it. It's worth a try!
kassi14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #3  
Moostacular

Height: 5'5"

I'm a fan of the P90/P90x programs it gets my cardio and weights in there. The P90x programs are around an hour to an hour and a half, which I do 6 days a week. The P90 programs are around starting out at 30-45 minutes.

Back in the day I had a community college I went too, I use to do elliptical, and machine weights. Sometimes I did the rowing machine because it had a fun little game on there. I also took spinning classes and yoga classes. I would go for bike rides during the summer Gym cardio was usually 30-45 minutes. Bike rides were around an hour-hour and a half. Spinning classes were usually an hour.

I wouldn't be afraid of the stationary bikes, at least the ones used for spinning, they are very adjustable! I use to love spinning classes and you can take it at your own pace. Just tell the instructor you're new and they'll get the bike set up right for you! You could always look into more classes (if they have them at your gym) or around the area or at home DvDs.

Or try the couch to 5k program! I did that for the color run worked pretty good until there was a bunch of hills during my 5k and i wasn't really well trained for that :/

There is also swimming, very good for you and low impact salt water pools are best.

Also other DVDs, I know some people are doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I used to do Bob Harpers Yoga Warrior DVD and there are also Zumba DVDs if you're into dancing

Good luck!
WTF Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #4  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I have a pile of workout DVDs and that's what I'm using at the moment. When the weather warms up, I'm going to start running again. I did Couch to 5K a few years ago and fell in love with running. And I plan to renew my gym membership soon. I really enjoy doing group classes - water aerobics, spinning, Tai Chi, and a toning class called "Thighs Butts and Guts."

I enjoy a lot of variety, and I try to mix up cardio, strength training, and flexibility (2 days of each, every week).
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I go to yoga class 2-3 days a week, do the elliptical at the gym 1-2 days a week, and yoga videos the other days. I've just started TRX training with a trainer - I'd like to do that once a week for a few months and see what happens. Before the sidewalks got too slippery, I was running outside. Then I joined the gym and learned I HATE running on the treadmill, which is why I'm doing the elliptical now. The bike is OK, but I like the elliptical better.

I'm working on building an exercise habit, so I'm trying to do something every day.

I just got an exercise ball, and the trainer has given me a couple things I can do on that at home.

My motto is I'll try anything that interests me, and anything my friends challenge me to.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

I do cardio every time I go to the gym (in varying forms). I switch off between elliptical and erg (rowing machine) with the occasional treadmill thrown in. I also lift with a program a personal trainer wrote out for me during a free consultation. What keeps me going during cardio is having something to distract me - either a great music mix or an entertaining audiobook.

I also have a set of 10lb dumbbells I use at home while doing squats and for when I am too lazy to do arms at the gym! I have also just downloaded a "sexy leg" workout plan from tumblr that looks like it could be really good:
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

I usually just jog but I really enjoyed doing cardio kickboxing when I could. Now I only get to do it once a week with my roommate as the teacher but it was good fun. I also like biking when it's nice out. If I bike to my campus, around it, and back, it's something like 6 miles total.

To keep jogging fun/interesting, I always push myself. I used to mostly walk but I eventually got strong enough that walking became boring. Now 3.3 is my resting point - I have short legs... - and 5.0 is my comfortable jogging pace which is up from maybe 4.3. I keep myself entertained in one of two ways : how far can I go in a mile? how fast can I do the mile? I always want to see the first number go up and the second number go down, depending on what I'm doing, so that keeps me going because I'm stubborn.

I'm not much of a strength training person, unfortunately. But I used to use various machines throughout the gym that I have now forgotten the names of... Sorry. =/

Last edited by Doomkitty; 03-04-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote