Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Embarrassed....

I went to heat my lunch in the office microwave feeling very proud of myself because I'm not eating carbs. In walks my boss to get her lunch out of the fridge. I couldn't believe how tiny her lunch was!!! She had a very small piece of chicken breast and maybe 6 green beans. She is about my height, but at least 100 pounds lighter, and now I know why.

I had a container with maybe 2 cups of beef stew, and I was embarrassed to see how much more food I had compared to her. I need to re-think my portion sizes.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #2  

These wake up calls only help us Don't be embarrassed. Life is a lesson, everyday Keep up the great work!
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #3  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Look on the bright side, you're trying. I used to get embarrassed when I wasn't trying because my portions were out of control. Your boss is a lot smaller and can't consume the same portions as you. It's all about the chemistry. You're doing great Just keep on going!

I made organic bunnies and cheese for lunch with turkey hotdogs for me and my SO and I used a small plate, It made my portion look close to equal to his. Maybe just try using smaller containers to help create the illusion that your portions are bigger than they are. It supposedly makes you feel fuller even with less on your plate.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/149/125

Height: 5'1"

But that is the beauty of Atkins... You dont need to be as restrictive. Yea eating as little as she does will keep you skinny. But it sounds just miserable. I'd stake beef stew over skimpy lunch any day!

You gotta recipe? I'm looking for a good low carb stew!
Forevermercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

The beauty of Atkins is being able to enjoy delicious foods and not starving yourself. A small piece of chicken breast & 6 green beans....ummmm, REALLY?!?! I can't begin to imagine how hungry she must be the rest of the afternoon!!
From the time I began Atkins (almost 9 years ago), I enjoyed HUGE salads topped with cheese, bacon bits, black olives, broccoli or green beans, chopped hard boiled egg and full fat ranch dressing. Yummmmmm!!!!
Enjoy your beef stew! As long as its prepared low carb style with lots of low carb veggies and no flour or cornstarch added to the gravy. You don't need to feel embarrassed about enjoying low carb foods. Don't beat yourself up because you aren't eating like an anorexic bird
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #6  

Forevermercy - I don't really have a fancy recipe. I just threw some beef and zucchini in the crock pot, added salt and pepper, and I was done. I'm not much of a cook.

I will learn from the experience and move on.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I wouldn't be embarassed. I would be feeling pretty good! Look at how much I can eat and not feel hungry and still lose weight?

But with that, I have found we all have different hunger levels for different times of the day. I am starving in the morning. My husband is not. he always eats a small breakfast, a small lunch and a HUGE dinner. And... he's a night owl. I'm a morning person. I could be done eating by 3 pm and be fine for the day.

So... no... you will not have to eat like her to lose weight or to stay thin. She obviously eats more at other times because if she ate like that the rest of the time, she would be truly starving.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Oh man, your boss sounds like she is starving herself! That's not a meal at all.

And I agree with JerseyGyrl, the best part about Atkins is you are never hungry. There are so many great options. People may look at your meal and think 'That's full of fat, and fat makes you fat' but they are misinformed.

And, if you are looking for an actual stew recipe, I made this one a bit ago and it was a huge hit at our house! http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot....l#.UQruzWeGVaE

There is bacon in it and everything I didn't do the carrots or the leeks in this one.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #9  

Thanks ladies. I'll try the recipe Steph, it sounds good!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #10  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevermercy View Post
But that is the beauty of Atkins... You dont need to be as restrictive. Yea eating as little as she does will keep you skinny. But it sounds just miserable. I'd stake beef stew over skimpy lunch any day!

You gotta recipe? I'm looking for a good low carb stew!
Yep! Yep! Yep! We don't have to eat like the low-cal tiny portion army and that's why I love Atkins. I can have healthy, hearty & savory food with none of the guilt.
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Poor boss lady!

I used to work in an office full of fairly large women. All were on some sort of diet. One in particular, was following an Australian version of the Dukan Diet; very low fat and low calorie. What wasn't helping her diet was the lolly jar on her desk that she would dip into in the early afternoon. She did't lose an ounce while I was working there...
California17 is offline   Reply With Quote