Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Homemad Salad Dressing Question??

I've made an Italian dressing with Olive Oil, vinegar and spices. Before when I have done this and kept it in the fridge, the oil becomes gloppy and very unappealing, even after remixing (last time it actually just about solidified when I mixed it!) Wondering if I need to keep it in the fridge... none of the ingredients are kept in the fridge when separate (well, I did add a little Dijon to this batch).

I am used to refrigerating store-bought dressing but I am thinking that is more because of the preservatives or other things they add.

Whatcha all think??
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #2  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't refrigerate mine and I mix up a batch about every week. I probably would not keep it more than a coupe of weeks.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I mix a good seasons packet with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I don't refrigerate it, but its normally used up within 2 weeks or so.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4  

I make the same dressing and I do not refrigerate it either
ecmcnamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

I make a big batch and blend it quickly with an immersion blender. It holds the emulsion better for me, and I do refrigerate. I use olive oil, lemon juice, dijon, tarragon, vinegar and salt/pepper.
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Thanks!

I didn't mix a big batch this time. I think I will keep it out of the fridge - it will definitely be gone in a few days. It's pretty tasty I must say!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #7  
Started IP 12-26-2012

I use the Good Seasons mix, but do NOT put the oil in it. I mix it with vinegar and water (plus extra stuff if I want to change up the flavor) and a bit of xanthan gum to thicken it a little, and I keep that in the fridge, because I like cold dressing.

Then, when I make my salad, I put the oil directly on the veggies.

It's cleaner that way...no gloopy mess.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #8  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I thought the sheet has only cider vinegar and white vinegar--no balsamic vinegar.

I do like the oil and vinegar well mixed which drizzling separately onto a salad doesn't accomplish. I like raw grated garlic in my dressing and I think that does need to be refrigerated. I think I could use your idea and mix the garlic with the vinegar. Then I could mix some of the mixture with oil just before adding to the salad. Then I wouldn't have to grate the garlic for each salad.

WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #9  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
I thought the sheet has only cider vinegar and white vinegar--no balsamic vinegar.

I do like the oil and vinegar well mixed which drizzling separately onto a salad doesn't accomplish. I like raw grated garlic in my dressing and I think that does need to be refrigerated. I think I could use your idea and mix the garlic with the vinegar. Then I could mix some of the mixture with oil just before adding to the salad. Then I wouldn't have to grate the garlic for each salad.

I don't use balsamic. Either white or cider. I like them both, and there's a nice difference, along with adding other seasonings/garlic/minced onion, etc... I hate eating the same dressing day after day. I have an immersion mixer and it works really well to emulsify (I think that's the right word) the oil into the vinegar. Mostly, it's much quicker to just sprinkle my oil right onto the salad then pour the vinegar mixture over it.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/157/145

Height: 5'8

All the Good Seasonings packets I've seen have sugar in the ingredients list. What flavor/ kind are you using?
runnergrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote