Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 314/314/160

Height: 5'7 ft

Default Where to start?

Wow I didnt think this would get emotional but here goes! I am 47yo and have alot of weight to lose. This is my first time posting here and it is 2 oclock in the morning! I am just looking for a way to start losing weight and get healthy. I have always been at least a little overweight but I am now at a point where I feel I have lost all control. I became gestational diabetic after my second child and never took the weight off, became diabetic about 5 years after that and became insulin dependent about 5 years ago....you would think having to give yourself shots up to 5 times a day would push you to do the right thing but no. I am now at the point where weight has affected everything I do now....everything. It affects what I wear ( I have tons of clothes but am limited to a few outfits that fit and everyday wear is capri sweat pants and a tshirt), tying the shoes is a struggle, I used to love shopping but my back starts hurting after about 10 minutes so when I do go shopping its in and out as quick as I can, I get nervous going to restaurants that have booths wondering if I am going to fit or not and hoping they only have tables with chairs so there is no akward scenes, even my work is affected which never has been before...I work 12 hr shifts with alot of running around and standing and it is so hard that I am constantly trying to find a chair to sit. I get invited to go out by friends and family and I find myself making excuses for why I cant go because I am so tired all of the time. I have started so many different weight loss plans, gone to the gyms but it never seems to last more than a few weeks and then its back to the same old routine. So my question is how do I get started and how do I stick with it and make it a lifestyle change? Thanks
wonderland0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and

If it helps any, a LOT of us here understand your struggles all too well! Been there, done that! There is hope and you can be one of us who are overcoming it! Do you have an eating and exercise plan? You did not say how much you weigh or how much you need to lose but it sounds as if it is substantial since it is causing you so many health problems.

If you would like, you are welcome to join us in our daily check in thread to help you get started in the forum. It's very helpful to have some accountability and support!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...welcome-2.html
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #3  
MaryGee

First, welcome - this is a great place to get support and motivation. Try to visit as often as you can.

Like you, I was overwhelmed. I have a lot of physical problems due to my weight - All the things you've described in your post, I've experienced too. Most of us here have. I have high blood pressure; I have heart disease now; I walk with a cane because of back and leg pain and I have to use a wheelchair when I go to stores because I can't walk or stand for more than 5-10 minutes. I could go on and on.

Diets - Name one and I've been on it. Name 30 and I've been on them all. They work for a while - then I "fall of the program" and regain the weight, then try another one.

I got to the point I gave up. I cannot follow a structured diet plan. But I know what's considered "healthy eating" -- we've all seen pictures of "The Plate" sectioned off with something like 1/4 meat, 1/4 carbohydrates, 1/2 vegetables/fruit -- and a small sliver of fat. We all know we're supposed to drink the 8 glasses of water. So what I do now is try my best to eat sensibly. I try to aware of my hunger and eat when I'm hungry - not out of boredom or frustration. I do my best to eat healthy and avoid fried foods and sugar-loaded foods, etc. Although there are times I occasionally have fried chicken or pizza -- but it's only occasionally and I don't feel guilty about it. I drink water all the time and avoid sodas and other sodium-loaded food.

And that's what's working for me. I'm losing weight without stressing out. I plan to eat as healthy as I can. I don't formally count calories, but I know by eating healthy I've cut down on my calorie intake - it just makes sense.

I've done a lot of reading on different plans, and I guess what I do is called "Intuitive Eating" -- which is eating when I'm physically hungry, and stop eating when I'm not hungry. I've read "The Overfed Head" and "Intuitive Eating" and there's a thread "Intuitive Eating" (or IE).

I know other people will say "if I ate that many carbohydrates I'd gain weight" - but I'm not on a low-carbohydrate plan.

You have to chose what type of "program" or "plan" will best suit you - it might be Weight Watchers, it might be Atkins, it might be South Beach, etc. Whatever you chose, I wish you the best of luck. Keep Reading and Learning!!
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote