Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1  
IP Start Date: 28Feb2013

S/C/G: 328.8/207.4/180

Height: 6'0"

Question Just had my initial weigh in and consultation...

Hi ladies and gents,

I just had my first weigh in and consultation for a brand new clinic. So brand new that I was just the second consult. I want to run by you guys a couple of things that puzzle me:

1. They told me to eat saltines if I felt low blood sugar (I am hypoglycemic)
2. They are insisting upon me getting a gym membership after two weeks (the clinic is within a gym...kickbacks?)

I understand that some movemet is good at a little while into the program, but they are insisting upon getting a full blown membership... which makes me think they are giving the gym kickbacks...

Any thoughts?
HillaryJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #2  

Also, how many of you have clinics that DO NOT do measuring tape measurements where you do not know how many inches you have lost each week? For those of you that do not, do you measure on your own?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #3  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Well, I can't comment on the saltines thing. Saltines are definitely NOT on the Ideal Protein protocol, and I don't remember anyone else here ever mentioning that. But maybe that is just something I've never encountered because I'm not hypoglycemic.
But the gym membership is just downright odd. I think you may be right about the kickback. I was told that I wasn't supposed to exercise at all until at least 5 weeks into the diet. You just aren't intaking enough calories to support strenous exercise. After that, if I wanted to, I could do some light exercise (walking, strength training) and add an extra protein packet into the day. I know there are some people here who have worked out throughout their time on IP, but my clinic recommends against strenuous workouts.

Last edited by tam67green; 02-27-2013 at 06:59 PM.
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Are you following the protocol for Diabetics? Even on that protocol, processed/white grains like saltines aren't allowed, only whole grain products. I'd be a little concerned about how well they know the program if they are suggesting you have saltines. And yeah, requiring a gym membership would throw up red flags for sure. The diet is designed to work WITHOUT exercise, even though many choose to do light exercise/muscle strengthening after the first few weeks of P1 - that is a CHOICE not a REQUIREMENT.

I would ask some more probing questions, find out the reasoning.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #5  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

One thing is for sure, I would never want to feel forces into a gym membership. All the literature I got from my IP clinic recommends not to exercise, or if you must exercise just don't over do it because it is a very low cal diet. As for the saltines, idk. Never heard of that. I know there are diabetics on here that their blood sugar has dropped but as far as I have read, I haven't seen them have saltines.
My coach does not measure me. So I measure myself and told myself to measure once a month. My coach has the scale that measure fat, muscle, weight, Fat % etc. I just wanted to measure for myself.
If you don't want the gym membership don't let them force you into it. You can move by taking walks around the block.
Good luck!
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #6  

I am not doing the alternative protocol, which is why I thought it was really weird to suggest saltines if I felt low blood sugar. If there comes a point where I need to do the diabetic protocol I will make that decision but I want to see if my hypoglycemia can be helped by IP.

The doctor and the coach were in the same room for my consult because the coach is brand new and he (the doctor) was the one that was insistent on the gym membership...

Last edited by HillaryJH; 02-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryJH View Post
I am not doing the alternative protocol, which is why I thought it was really weird to suggest saltines if I felt low blood sugar. If there comes a point where I need to do the diabetic protocol I will make that decision but I want to see if my hypoglycemia can be helped by IP.

The doctor and the coach were in the same room for my consult because the coach is brand new and he (the doctor) was the one that was insistent on the gym membership...
Yeeahhh...I would definitely be suspect.

Just be frank with them - tell them if you're not interested in the membership, don't let them push you into it OR hand you any kind of story that it's required by the program. If they tell you they won't coach you without it, well then you know there was some $$ behind their insistence.

As far as dealing with the hypoglycemia, I would just let that saltines comment go in one ear and out the other. White flours aren't even allowed on the diabetic protocol, and are DEFINITELY not allowed on the regular protocol. There are quite a few folks who have dealt with diabetes/hypoglycemia on the boards who can give you good, ON PLAN suggestions for dealing with lows
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #8  

Scorbett- You are such a wealth of knowledge!! THANK YOU! :-)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #9  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

If you're curious, you can also just ask them if they have an agreement with the gym regarding IP members.
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryJH View Post

I am also hypoglycimic.I was diagnosed 5 years ago. If I went 5 hrs without eating I would get the shakes and black out sometimes even faint. I haven't done that in a long time. I made sure I had snacks with me at all times, and my doctor wanted me to eat light ever 2-3 hrs.

Take advantage of the 4th packet in the beginning. Once week 3 comes, you wont feel hungry as much and you will be acustom to the food; your blood sugar levels should be ok. But if you need that extra packet, then use it. Or there's no harm in taking advantage of the "unlimited lettuce rule". An extra salad in your day would be ok. And make sure you are drinking the required amount of water as well. And of course take your vitamins.

In terms of the Gym... If you think they are scamming you.. then simply don't do it. IP doesn't require physical activity... but at the end of the day, whether you're on IP or not.. I believe physical activity won't hurt anyone. Going for walks or light jogs a few times a week, won't hurt you at all.
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #11  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

The saltines is not right, at all. There is no way you can get into ketosis and stay there consuming saltines.

And because we are flushing out the pancreas and balancing the hormones- ie Insulin, hypoglycemia should actually improve on IP. The first few days are hard, but they are manageable without simple carbs.

When I was having a rough go the first few days, I was told to eat more lean protein if I needed it, have an additional packet or another cup of coffee. Anything but eating carbs if I needed it.

While I don't suffer from hypoglycemia regularly, because I am on Metformin for ovarian cysts I can have low blood sugar if I forget to eat. And I always reach for protein first and that helps adjust my blood glucose levels moreso than simple sugars.

Is there possibly another clinic you can go to for IP? All of this just sounds off base and not in your best interest. You deserve to have someone who is better informed on sticking to the protocol.

Last edited by SFNinerGirl; 02-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #12  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post
The saltines is not right, at all. There is no way you can get into ketosis and stay there consuming saltines.

And because we are flushing out the pancreas and balancing the hormones- ie Insulin, hypoglycemia should actually improve on IP. The first few days are hard, but they are manageable without simple carbs.

When I was having a rough go the first few days, I was told to eat more lean protein if I needed it, have an additional packet or another cup of coffee. Anything but eating carbs if I needed it.

While I don't suffer from hypoglycemia regularly, because I am on Metformin for ovarian cysts I can have low blood sugar if I forget to eat. And I always reach for protein first and that helps adjust my blood glucose levels moreso than simple sugars.

Is there possibly another clinic you can go to for IP? All of this just sounds off base and not in your best interest. You deserve to have someone who is better informed on sticking to the protocol.
Agree whole-heartedly with this! Protein and keep a couple of the higher carb IP bars handy. And the gym membership. Sorry, I'd tell them where they can stick it. That's SOOOO not right. I'm diabetic and had low sugars first few weeks.

Last edited by leannekarella; 02-27-2013 at 08:48 PM.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #13  

Thanks ladies for all of your good advice!

I am also very glad to hear that a fellow hypoglycemia sufferer has had good results with keeping her blood sugar in check. I am currently on my first day now, and I am on the verge of shakiness. I have a bar and I am planning on eating it slowly over the next hour. Hope this works!