General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default Rant: "Rachel lost 4 dress sizes using THIS diet trick"

BAH! I keep getting this stupid ad popping up on my FB stream. Hmmm, let me guess this magical diet "trick", she freaking ate less!

I know that diet fads, ads, magazines, shows, books, etc etc will never go away, but I get so sick of this crap. Just exclude this ONE food and you will lose a billion pounds. Just eat this ONE super powered fruit and the pounds will literally melt off. Just take this pill and all of a sudden you will be super skinny.

BOO to these people, BOO!

/rant
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Omg! I hate those too!!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #3  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Gotta love all the magazines that say "so and so lost 100 pounds with this one secret. Learn how" or the one i hate the most "LOSE WEIGHT EATING ICE CREAM" or "LOSE WEIGHT EATING CHOCOLATE CAKE" It drives me nuts!!! Way to advertise to women..why? cause we love ice cream and chocolate cake..but im pretty sure tons of us gained weight eating foods like that.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #4  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

TOTALLY with you on this. Totally.

I get nothing but these ads now because I search for so much diet related stuff. Those, and the "56 year old mom looks 27". It ticks me off because there are so many people getting rooked. Not even just people looking to lose weight. Sick people. Smart people who only get half the information.

Take my uncle for example. He's not yet fifty and he's got blood pressure, blood sugar, cardiac issues up the wazoo. He's also at least 50 pounds over weight. (Probably closer to 100). He is relying on GARLIC and BLUEBERRIES to cure all that ails him. and he's not even eating the garlic, he's buying pills.

I have no quarrel with either food's health properties. But they aren't cure alls. It takes hard work, and when someone buys into this kind of b.s. and it doesn't work, they get discouraged and give up before they even start.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
Gotta love all the magazines that say "so and so lost 100 pounds with this one secret. Learn how" or the one i hate the most "LOSE WEIGHT EATING ICE CREAM" or "LOSE WEIGHT EATING CHOCOLATE CAKE" It drives me nuts!!! Way to advertise to women..why? cause we love ice cream and chocolate cake..but im pretty sure tons of us gained weight eating foods like that.
Oh I hate these ones too. Of freaking course you can lose weight and eat cake. I had a piece a week ago. What they don't tell you is that you get it once in a blue moon and you eat a piece the size of a deck of cards, not a big ol' cartoon birthday cake slice. People see that and they picture gorging on a banquet while their body "melts" the fat away.

I hate that turn "melt fat" Another lousy marketing scheme.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

If you guys are using Chrome for a browser (recommend!) Look for a extension called Ad Block Plus. I don't know about the ads in your FB stream but all the super annoying ads that are on the side of just about every webpage you visit will be blocked. If you aren't using Chrome, it should be available for the other browsers too. Srsly... this will block 99.8% of all of that crap. (I also use do not track me, for chrome. I don't need every single webpage I visit tracked for "consumer research"!!)

Last edited by Silverfire; 02-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #7  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Note : This won't help with magazine ads....
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I bet her secret is to eat salad and 1 portion of lean meat with regular exercise!!!

I get those too... I also hate that Special K uses skinny women (models) for their commercials. None of those girls need to do their "special k challenge"
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I was standing in line at the grocery store on Sunday and saw one magazine headline that promised I could lose 50 pounds in two weeks. Sure wish I had read that article 30 pounds and six months ago. Ha!
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #10  

I agree with what you all said. Now, I won't lie and say I didn't try some faddy diets in my younger days!! That's how I know they don't work!!

I am still in awe every single day since I started losing weight last summer that it literally is calories in and calories out plus controlling my cravings (I eat no "bad" food to me that trigger cravings). This is MY miracle diet! You think Woman's World or First magazines would feature me? I eat healthy food, not cake and/or cranberry pills (or whatever the fad going is).

People (and all of those ads) make it so much more complicated than it needs to be and it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Imagine if that money was invested in teaching people how to eat? Too bad people aren't interested in that though.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
I was standing in line at the grocery store on Sunday and saw one magazine headline that promised I could lose 50 pounds in two weeks. Sure wish I had read that article 30 pounds and six months ago. Ha!

I saw one that was even worse 'lose 75 lbs in two weeks' and I looked at my fiance and was like the only way that woman did that is she cut off some limbs, some fat limbs.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/249/125

Height: 5'3 ish

OH YES! I hate this add I am sick of Rachel bets are she never really was overweight anyway.

CherryQuinn-- I said almost the exact same to my mother the other day about one of those lol

Last edited by Thinforme; 02-26-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Thinforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

I am so glad I don't seem to get these on my Facebook feed. However, my roommate gets a lot of girly magazines, which I hate, and they've got "tricks" and "tips" all through them.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #14  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I was watching you tube videos on differnt excercises and wanted to see the comments to see if anyone had actually had success with the videos. But every other comment was a variation of " my friend, my boss, my sister etc lost weight eating 7 different things, check it out on blah blah blah" so annoying when I am scrolling through in my phone and have to keep hitting load next comments so many times just to surpass the bull. I also have a fb friend who claims he makes so much doing this certain thing. Everyday it's the same crap, maybe I should just delete him, hate having to scroll past his stuff. And what I find amusing the most is when he posts pictures, I look at what is in his house and by no means does it look like stuff someone with money would own, with his tube tv and old looking furniture. Argg wish that stuff would no longer be posted so we can enjoy the Internet without having to scroll or hit an x every 2 seconds. That's my rant. Now back to regular programming.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #15  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Uhg, I hate those too! If there was some magic "trick" then no one would be overweight. We'd all be downing pills that allow our stomachs to process endless amounts of garbage without gaining a pound.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote