Old 02-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #1  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

Default New to carb counting and CLUELESS!

So I've been a calorie counter for about a year now and it just isn't working as well as it once did. I've decided to try my hand at carb counting for 2 reasons...1, I feel like maybe my body needs a change to boost it somehow, and 2, I know I eat too many carbs.

My first question is regarding daily calorie intake when carb counting. Does that stay the same as normal and you just eat those calories in no/low carb foods or does the calorie allowance fall because of the lack of carbs? Maybe that's a dumb question... lol

I also am clueless as to how to get started. I mean absolutely clueless lol. I know to knockout pasta and bread and startchy foods, but it doesn't seem right to eat ONLY meat, and quite frankly, I'm not a huge meat eater to begin with.

Basically I just need some pointers and some advice and maybe a few easy to understand, informative websites that dumb this down for me. I am beyond frustrated with how my weight loss is going, or barely going, and I'm ready to get this weight off once and for all.
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingPrettyGirl View Post
it doesn't seem right to eat ONLY meat
This is a big misconception when it comes to low carb plans... It's possible to be vegetarian while still eating lower carb if you want...

But I would suggest finding a specific plan to follow at first and it also might be helpful to take a look at something like Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution because even if you aren't interested in following his specific plan the book has a lot of information that would probably be useful to you... also taking a look at something from Gary Taubes like "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" might also be helpful in understanding the thinking underlying some of the reasons to restrict carbohydrates in our diets... not just for weight loss, but also because of the possible health implications as well...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #3  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I agree. definitely pick a plan to follow first, or even do some research. Atkins is great, and although it isn't marketed as a low carb diet, the Primal blueprint and marksdailyapple.com have some excellent information on what carbs to keep and what carbs to get rid of.

You may want to start slowly before you count. I started by cutting soda, and then bread. Then when I was over the cravings and withdrawal, I started to actually count my grams.

Last edited by Radiojane; 02-25-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I like the plan I am on (Dukan Diet) because I do not have to count anything. There is a list of 100 foods and you eat only the foods on the list, but you don't have to worry about how much.

The foods I eat are lean protein, low/no fat dairy, vegetables - mostly non-starchy but you can have winter squash and some others, just not corn, potatoes, etc.

The one food you do measure is oat bran (different from oatmeal.) You have 1.5 Tbs to start with, then after the first few days, you have 2TBs a day - but even that is some what flexible and you can an extra serving if that helps with cravings, and staying on plan.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #5  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
I agree. definitely pick a plan to follow first, or even do some research. Atkins is great, and although it isn't marketed as a low carb diet, the Primal blueprint and marksdailyapple.com have some excellent information on what carbs to keep and what carbs to get rid of.

You may want to start slowly before you count. I started by cutting soda, and then bread. Then when I was over the cravings and withdrawal, I started to actually count my grams.

I haven't drank soda in about 3 years aside from the occasional diet coke with popcorn. I don't really crave carbs that I've noticed other than mac and cheese and it's only on a bad day and I know that it's psychological because when I was a kid and sick or whatever, that's what I ate. It's my comfort food. I don't crave it because it is delicious so much lol. Thanks for the tips and links to look at. Like I said, I'm absolutely clueless and desperate.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #6  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

Thanks so much for all the help! I know that I don't have to eat meat to get protein, but it just seems like I'm gonna have to up my meat consumption to realistically do this in my situation. idk......
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

How low do you are you thinking of going? Any thing under 100g a day is lower carb. Are there meats you do like? or a higher protien veggie option?

I know I depend a lot on eggs and cheese. If you can live without a lot of variety it's pretty easy to work out a plan.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #8  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

I have no idea. Like it said, I'm clueless. I've been looking at the primal blueprint. It just seems so unnatural to me, but I'm gonna order the book. I like turkey and tilapia and eat those often. I rarely eat beef or pork and since I cook once a week for my bf, I eat more chicken. I LOVE cheese and eggs and I don't mind eating the same things all the time for the most part. Bread will be the hardest thing to cut out. I live off of whole wheat tortillas and sandwich thins and I also love my black beans.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

It is really daunting at first, but once you adapt it gets easier. Read the book and do some other research and just play around with what you eat. By the sounds of it you're already on the right path
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I'm in the second phase of Atkins, and it's definitely not just all meat. You would probably do well replacing all the bread with vegetables. It was hard and almost inconcievable for me at first but I've been eating this way on and off for over a year now. I feel best eating low carb and the initial drop in weight is always nice.

An example of my day, three eggs scrambled with some cheese for breakfast, cheese stick as a snack, almonds as a snack, strawberries as another snack, leftovers for lunch (today was spaghetti squash and parmesan), dinner is chicken and veggies or one of many other awesome low carb meals I find on various sites.

peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.ca/2013/01/cheesy-chorizo-breakfast-bake.html#.USwDu2dRHMQ

^--That's what I had for dinner tonight. There are so many options out there, definitely look into it. The Atkins site does have a lot of good info, but I recommend staying away from their products. Most people stall out on them.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote