YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 09-22-2003, 01:27 PM   #1  

Default Dr. Phil's "The Ultimate Weight Solution" tips

As I'm reading through the book and flipping back and forth to do the exercises, I've found at least one thing that's confusing. I started this thread in-case people find other incongruous parts, so we can help each other read along.

On pg. 78 (1st paragraph, under the table), it says to refer back to your Internal Audit. I think he means Internal Dialogue Audit, which was on pg. 63 (as opposed to the Internal Audit section on page 53, which then led into the WLOC quiz on 55...the WLOC quiz doesn't fit with the exercise on 79, while the Dialogue Audit does).
sillymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #2  

GREAT idea to have a place for us to ask questions and get clarification!

You are right. He means the Internal Dialogue Audit, because he says, "in which you recorded your thoughts about your appearance, your self-control, and your general health" which is what the Internal Dialogue Audit on page 63 does.'

Jo
--------
202/135
Jo_Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 PM   #3  

Default Still on the First Door

I am following the book step by step and I am a little confused.

A little history, I haven't worked out steadly since August of 2002 nor eaten right for that matter, which has packed on the pounds. I bought the book and love it, I think this is what is right for me and I am dedicated to applying what I read.

Now, my confusion is that Dr. Phill gives you a synopsis of each step at the begining, so I am aware that I need to eat right and exercise 1 hour 4 times a week. I want to make sure that I do all this the right way and make sure I am prepared for those two things. Should I be applying those steps before getting to them in the book or should I concentrate on where I am right now with my reading and apply everything slowly. What do you think he would suggest???
FindingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:31 PM   #4  

I think (and this is strictly opinion of course), that you should really focus on the steps, one by one, because there's going to be a lot of work with each step, and it's going to take a lot of effort. But, of course, you want to be very conscious of your eating and exercise habits at the same time. I think the idea is - you may not eat or exercise well in the beginning...but the more you work through your own issues via the WLC steps, the less you'll turn to food for comfort or excitement or whatever, and the better you'll get at eating right and exercising, and the faster the weight will come off.

Personally, I'm trying to eat right right now, even though I'm only about 1/2 way through the book, and admittedly am not working the steps in any dedicated way (I feel like I need to finish the book, then go back and work the program...I feel that personally, if I leave the book unfinished, I'm liable to not continue with it). But, I don't get too hung up when I slip, I'm just paying more attention to my 'whys' and my 'triggers', so that when I go back to the book to really psychoanalyze myself, I'm prepared with lots of data.

Any other thoughts?
sillymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 11:37 PM   #5  

I am still working through the book, and enjoying it to be truthful there is a lot of information that I have found useful, but I recently have seen some of the "supplements" that Dr. Phil is promoting in conjunction with his book....has anyone tried these and if so what do you think of them??? I would like to try them, but wonder after taking TONS of supplements if they are effective. Please let me know what you think..

thanks

yvette
mommyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

I havent sctually seen the supplements myself but there was lots of discussion about them when everything first came out.... people being upset that he is "cashing in".....

Just FYI on these supplements.... all proceeds are going to his charity to fight childhood obesity..... so he is not just 'cashing in'.

As for the supplements themselves.... like I said I havent seen them but I believe they are just a basic vitamin supplement.... I think if you dont take a vitamin then they may be good for you.... I do know that they apprently have different things in them based on body shape.... I dont know how that works.....

Good Luck!
Angel26519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #7  

Default Just a suggestion

I have tried taking vitamins in the past, but I have a hard time swallowing them. Anyway, I came across this site www.fitday.com and started tracking what I eat and found that my intake generally equals the daily vitamin mineral recommended amounts. Be careful how much you take.
FindingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:42 PM   #8  

Even before I started a new way of living/eating last March, Ive taken what Dr. Phil suggests for upteen years. I'm still here! Age 51 anf feel 28, and attribute my overall good health (low chlosterol, normal blood pressure, excellent bone density, good muscle, few colds) in spite of being morbidly obese for 28 years. I started taking supplements after 2 bouts with cancer, 28 and 26 years ago respectively. I guess you could say I'm in remission.

I know many people who can't swallow pills but I do believe there are alternatives if you look around the net. The way I understand it, your body will absorb what it needs in vitamins, minerals and nutrients, and disspell what it doesn't need. Every body is different. I worked in a pharmacy for 2 years where I was exposed to sick people on a daily basis. All of the pharmacists, techs and customer serivce folk like myself took vitamins and supplements to help ward off what we used to call "the cooties." When we got colds, they weren't bad, and we were able to go to work.

In the AM with breakfast, I take-
calcium
potasium
folic acid
B6 and B12
garlic

In the PM with Supper-
Multi-Vitamin
2000 mil of Vitamin C
400 units of Vitamin E

I also take Fish Oil with each main meal, (3 X a day).

A few years ago, my older sister had been "dieting" and lost quite a bit of weight and I was impressed to say the least, until the day she dropped dead in front of me. No kidding. She was 48 at the time. We were sitting at her kitchen table talking. Her husband was with us and her daughter was in the other room. She was looking straight at me, and suddenly she just drifted and her eyes focused in the uper ceiling corner of the room. I kept calling her name and she didn't answer. She fell to the floor, rather slow and gracefully, and her husband jumped up in time to catch her. We tried to revive her, but there was no repsonse, no pulse, no breathing. While her husband gave her CPR, her daughter called 911, and I got some ice out of the freezer and held it on that back of her neck. (I have no idea why I did that or what made think to do that.) The paramedics arrived quickly and determined indeed there were no vitals. One of them took over the CPR while the other got the gurney from the ambulance. They felt they could work on her better in the ambulance where they took about 20 minutes to bring her back BEFORE transporting her to the hospital. After many hours of our pacing, they had her stabilized. It was not a heart attack or a stroke. Tests later determined that her body was totally depleted of potassium and folate (folic acid.)

Before starting any new way of eating, I think the wise thing to do is to have a complete physical. Part of the fun of the discoveries in this new way of life is not just the weight loss and gained energy, but the overall health improvement, and measuring that, along with your waistline, is quite gratifying too. There is also diabetes to consider. Many obese people are borderline diabetics and don't know it.

Just my 2 cents.

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #9  
Work in Progress

I take a Keto Shake and that generally hits most of the nutritional requirements along with regular eating....I do take a calcium supplement as Osteoporsis runs in my family.

Fitday.com is a great tool in monitoring what your eating. I custom my vitamins, shakes and all my low carb foods and enter it in every day. It really helps.

It take some time in the begining to enter in your commonly eaten foods, but once it is all in, it take very little time and provides a wealth of info.

rb
Rowan Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Since starting the BOOK, has anyone started anything different in their eating habits? I no longer put our food in bowls on the table. All the kids are gone so my husband and I have to get up and go to the kitchen if we need something else. For years, I have been cooking with little or no oils, broiling, baking and steaming, but I have made big enough portions to feed an army! I am trying to limit myself to one portion, excepted steamed vegetables. We are eating with TV off and at the dinner table. I am journaling everything that I eat and drink. Boy, what an eye opener. If I don't know the calorie value of something like a casserole, than I try not to take more than a cup full. I still eat 50 miles and hour and am trying to slow that down. Putting the fork down in between bites is good practice, but I've had a fork in my hand for 52 years and am working on it. Today was the first time I felt restless and thought that I could probably get a good food binge going. So got my dog, drove twenty miles and had my grandkids walk me and the dog around the park! I am still concerned about the amount of calories consuming late in the day, but it is the only meal that I have with my husband and am trying to find something different to do about that. I have lost 12# since I started reading the BOOK and what an impact it has made in my life. I'm am currently undergoing a health crisis and am waiting to see how that all plays out, but I do know that if I don't keep up with this book I'll have no quality of life and will be dead way before my time. Started Greer Childers Oxyercising and her gymbar. Hopefully, with loss of weight I will be able to do more aerobic exercising. It is kind of nice not to end everynight with heartburn and a bulky sedated feeling!

311/299/170 Be glad to see 200# again!

Last edited by nanj; 10-05-2003 at 10:31 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:55 AM   #11  

Hi Nan! Just DH and myself also, but no grandkids to walk me. Kudos to you for taking action when you felt a binge coming on!

We both gained over the years and one of the things I had to take responsibility for was what we eat and how much, since I was in charge of the food buying, prep and serving. In the old days, we could do a box of Hamburger Helper between us! Or eat out, no matter what time of day, and come home and sleep it off.

I'm glad you mentioned heartburn because we each kept a bottle of TUMS on our nightstands. Almost every night, one of us would wake the other getting some TUMS. Not any more! Also, very little gas, just the natural kind that comes from vegetables. Just some more bonuses to the new way of life.

I don't eat too fast any more, but he still does. I'm working on converting our dining room from an office back to a dining room. I want a nice, quiet and romantic place for us to eat. Currently, we eat in our dinette that adjoins the family room, and of course the TV is on. Another bonus is that our marriage has taken a turn for the better. We enjoy each other's company again and I'd like to have the dining room "a soft place to fall" for both of us while we enjoy conversation and our evening meal, the only one we eat together during the week.

Best wishes for your health crisis and hope you get through it OK.

ROWAN - what's a "keto shake?"

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:09 AM   #12  
Work in Progress

dip-
Keto is a brand name for a low carb, high protein shake that has vitamins.

rb
Rowan Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #13  

What a story. I also had a scare last year. I had lost 75 lbs on Weight Watchers and was out for the day with a friend. My former high blood pressure went so low on me that I passed out (and I felt I was close to death). After a few days in the hospital and many tests that was done over the next 6 months, they decided that I didn't have a heart problem but that I had Neuro Cardiogenic Syncope (Hypo tension). There isn't anything that can be done for it. I can't take the meds they wanted to put me on because of reactions to them.

So now I have to watch my BP and sit down when I start feeling like that again.

Glad she is OK.
ladyroses is offline   Reply With Quote