Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Question Wanting to start IP, help me choose a path

Ok so I am all ears and open to your opinions. This is my first post so let me introduce myself a little. I'm in my 30s (shhh dont tell anyone) a wife, a mother and a nurse. I am very interested in IP and I found out a chiro's office about 30 minutes away from me has the program. My question is... being brand new to the program would you go through the clinic or would you order the products online? The initial office visit is $275 and that includes the 1st week of food (not sure about supplements) by the time I buy a full month plus the initial fee that's going to be around 500 bucks and like I said I'm not sure that's including supplements.

And aside from money I'm wondering if the clinic WIs would keep me more accountable. And for those who do it through a 'clinic' NOT a dr office do you get any bloodwork done? I would like BMP drawn every now and then to actually keep tabs on my potassium level and my creatinine level to assess kidney function.

I think it boils down to guilty mom syndrome... I hate spending $ on myself thinking I'm taking something away from my family. Its just a lot of cash but if I'm going to do it I want to do it properly and be successful. My body LOVES carbs so much that it wants to hug them and squeeze them and call them george. All of my weight is in my abdomen, I feel like I look preggo. I feel a low carb option would do wonders for me. I'm just so tired of it. Tired of being tired. Tired of being self conscious with my hubby even after 18 years (high school sweethearts!). Just plain tired.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any advice. Also I have lurked for a while... I think 3FC rocks
TNmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #2  

Forgot to mention I have about 60lbs to lose. That will get me to the very highest "healthy" BMI range. Once I get there then we will see about getting to mid range
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #3  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

After being on the program for 6 weeks now I have wondered if I should have or could have done this on my own. I have a great coach and she's been very helpful with any questions I might have. I also really like the accountability factor but it is quite expensive going through a clinic. I plan to stick with the clinic until I phase off the program and will continue using the IP products while I do. The initial fee I paid up front will give me 14 weeks of coaching so I shouldn't have to pay any more before I phase off except for the food and supplements. It has worked well for me but most questions are answered right here on this site....it's a tough call.
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Ultimately, you need to decide whether you could keep yourself accountable without the weigh ins. Doing bloodwork is not standard part of the protocol, and unless you are dealing with an RN or MD the clinics don't really get into that side of things. The reality is that while the diet was medically CREATED (by an MD), it is NOT medically SUPERVISED unless that is how an individual clinic chooses to do business. To get approved to deal IP in the USA, you just need to have SOME kind of medically-affiliated certification - including dentists, physical therapists, EMTs, pharmacists...you get the picture.

I did my first 8 weeks through a clinic. We decided that using some of our tax return money was worth it (I have 2 little ones, my husband is a full time student and I am the sole earner in the house, so I definitely get the $$ concerns). It was helpful in the beginning to have that accountability, and to be able to get my footing with the diet. I came to a point where I knew I would keep myself accountable, I knew I had the resources here to go all the way to maintenance, and I felt comfortable enough in my knowledge of the diet to go "rogue". I switched to alternatives and I'm now partway through Phase 3.

The most important thing if you decide to go it alone is to EDUCATE yourself thoroughly. Read through as much as you can here, study the protocol sheets in the Newbie thread and the Alternative threads that talk about products that are compatible or not on IP. The onus will be on you to be the coach and the client.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Last edited by scorbett1103; 02-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

Hi TNMom and Welcome! Like you, I am in my 30's, a wife, a mother but I'm an IT geek.. ha! I keep weight around my stomach too and the only way for me to lose it, is this diet. I lost about 40lbs before I started IP because of watching my food and working out but then I hit a plateau for over a year and was ready to change something!! I do this diet without going to the clinic or buying the products. It's just not in my budget to pay for it all and I really wanted to learn this diet on my own and making my own things becuase I know I can't buy all the packets etc. forever. Plus, my family isn't doing this diet with me.. so I'm trying to get into a routine of cooking dinner for them, but for me at the same time. I have to say, it's helping me get more veggies into my families mouths! A Dr. told me to go off the guidelines of the Tran Tien Diet, which is similar to the Ideal Protein diet. Tran Tien is the cofounder of the Ideal Protein Diet. You can get great information about it from his website, http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique27, however, some things are slightly different. This forum and the people on it are amazing at giving you loads of information, answering your questions and keeping you up to date on the current protocols or changes. Be sure to search and check the sticky's out at the top of the forum. I have to say, if you don't go to the clinics, check this forum everyday! It will help you stay on track! I would love to have to go to a person to weigh me every week because I think that would keep me more on track, but I do read about a few horror coaches on this forum. My weigh in information is told to my husband and my coworkers at work. So having to tell them what I've lost, is just like telling a coach right now. I truely enjoy when my husband rubs my back and says, "I am so proud that you are sticking to this diet." or when he says "So when you lose all your weight, are you going to leave me and the boys?" LOL! Love him! Like you, I will not spend that type of money on myself but I would encourage you not to think of it that way and if you really want someone to hold you accountable, then spend the money! I actually have to go to my metabolic dr. every 3 months, so I have to weigh there.. and that helps me be accountable too. Good Luck on your decision! But either way, you can do it! You just have to want it!! Have a GREAT day!!
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #6  
Started IP 1/1/13

S/C/G: 132/See Ticker/118

Height: 5'4"

My initial fee covered supplements, the first week of food (+ 7 additional packets for the first week hunger), and all my coaching. It is pricey, but since you are having packets for many of your meals, your grocery bill will go down during phase 1 since basically all you need to buy for yourself is meat & veggies. As far as what you may be taking financially from your family, think about what a healthier you would add. More energy, feeling better about yourself, all wonderful things for you to bring to your family, and your healthier eating style will be a great example for your kids.

All the best on whatever path you choose!
PacNW IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #7  

scorbett - Oh yes I will definitely educate myself I think the one thing I worry about is not getting the information I need if I do it on my own. Also the P.Protein site actually deals the exact products... correct? I do not feel confident enough yet to scout out alternatives. I'm still up in the air. I might just really save up over the next month and make an appointment. That might be the easier route in the end. Then when I feel like I have a handle on things I can try it alone. I'm just eager to start and waiting is killing me :P
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #8  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

I agree with Scorbett. I didn't know enough at the start to do it alone, and am glad I had a coach. Now I could do it alone, but I like the accountability, and she checks my blood pressure etc. I buy alternatives and still get some things through the coach.

As for your "feeling guilty" thing - forget it. Don't you think your family will benefit more from you eating healthy, getting healthy, and having energy to do things with them? They're not going to notice if you don't make a change, but they sure WILL notice if you do. You're being a role model to admit you've made some poor eating choices, but you're fixing them. My kids keep me honest. When I started, they would say "no chips for you mom -- I can get you some of your space food!" We also have lots of "food" discussions now so I can explain "Yes, grapes are really healthy, but they do have sugar in them, and I'm trying to reduce sugar right now. But YOU guys can share my grapes too because they really are a great snack "
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #9  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I started through an IP clinic and then switched to alternative products a few weeks in due to a pay cut at work. I'm glad I started with a coach, even though I only went there for a few weeks.

It is a lot of money, but worth it if you can afford it. My initial sign up fee included the supplements and about 10 days worth of packets.

Time to lose the mommy guilt. You will be doing IP for a relatively short time, and when you are at goal you will be continuing with a much healthier lifestyle. That is something that will benefit your family as much as you individually.

Whatever your decision is with coach or no coach, come here for daily support. There is a lot of info here and you can learn so much through other people's experiences (good and bad).
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNmom View Post
scorbett - Oh yes I will definitely educate myself I think the one thing I worry about is not getting the information I need if I do it on my own. Also the P.Protein site actually deals the exact products... correct? I do not feel confident enough yet to scout out alternatives. I'm still up in the air. I might just really save up over the next month and make an appointment. That might be the easier route in the end. Then when I feel like I have a handle on things I can try it alone. I'm just eager to start and waiting is killing me :P
Yes, plain protein is actual IP products. Even when I switched to alternatives, I continued to use the IP supplements and purchased through them (I've posted many times on why the IP vitamins are worth the cost).

I can tell you that the info you need and more IS here on this forum. In the Newbie thread are scans of protocol sheets for all the phases. There are amazing folks here who share their journeys and struggles, tips and tricks. More than I ever got from my coach. I was one who needed a little help getting on the track - once I was there I could go it alone no problem. I was less than halfway along my weight loss when I switched, so I can say pretty confidently you will get everything you need if you look for it here - but it does help in the beginning to have that safety net of a coach if you think you will benefit from it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #11  

Ok so eeeeek! I just called and spoke to the clinic. The initial 275 covers all your supplements, salt and 28 products. You never pay the initial fee again for your WIs and there is not stipulation on how long it takes you to lose the weight. Then its 84 a week for your food. So I made a appointment for this coming Wednesday. I am so excited and ready!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #12  

Quick question. I read somewhere that the EAS RTD and a few others had heavy metal issues in their products. Is IP products ok?? Just curious
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Quick question. I read somewhere that the EAS RTD and a few others had heavy metal issues in their products. Is IP products ok?? Just curious
The only EAS product that had an issue was the Myoplex. It had to do with the "bodybuilding" additive/supplement in the drink, and EAS addressed it on their website stating that the study was done using MORE than the recommended daily serving. The Myoplex product isn't the one that is compatible with IP anyway.

IP products are fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #14  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Ok so eeeeek! I just called and spoke to the clinic. The initial 275 covers all your supplements, salt and 28 products. You never pay the initial fee again for your WIs and there is not stipulation on how long it takes you to lose the weight. Then its 84 a week for your food. So I made a appointment for this coming Wednesday. I am so excited and ready!
Congrats on taking that first step with making the appointment. You'll be so glad you started right away and didn't wait a month.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #15  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Welcome to the forums and Congratulations on deciding to start IP!!
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote