Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #1  
JJ1

Default Starting Today and Brand New Member!

Hello 3fc community,

Thanks for all the valuable information that you've shared on these forums. I'm starting IP today and so far, so good (but a little confusing).

This morning I had an omelet (delicious) and was hungry about an hour later. I had a bag of those spicy puffy chips (delicious) and have been full. I just had a chicken noodle soup for lunch (delicious).

I have a few questions though:

Can I go out of order like I did this morning? I don't think I'm supposed to have a snack an hour after breakfast.

Along the same lines, do I have to have my veggies with my lunch or can I have them later? Also, can I have my veggies as a shake with fresh frozen veggies? I have frozen kale, spinach, broccoli that I could mix with water and blend. Not sure if that would be that great, but I'm more wondering if I need to have it with lunch.

I'm planning a vacation to leave in 3 weeks (for two full days, one night) and now I'm concerned that I'll have to cheat. What options does one have for breakfast, lunch, dinner at a hotel without a microwave/stove?

Finally, what happens if I've maxed out on my food and I get hungry in the evening? What can I have to fill me up? I was told unlimited veggies, but then my sheet says 2 cups.

How do you cook your dinner protein? I read that it shouldn't be fried, but says I should take up to 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Can I use this to fry the food? If not, what's the best way to prepare these foods?

Thank you and I'm excited to share my progress with you.
JJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/256/130

Height: 5'3"

I just started IP too -- on Monday of this week...

my doc told me that I could have unlimited celery and lettuce.. so I have been eating lettuce like a fiend!! I still have a issue with hunger though.. but it is getting better. I also have had better luck if I space out my veggies instead of eating them all in one sitting.

And you can go out of order....we occasionally have business lunches so I can switch out lunch and dinner to accomodate it...when we have gone out (talk about a test of will) I just order according to what I can eat -- and just pick the items out of the salad that I can't have (carrots, etc)

As far as my meat -- I have a George Forman grill that I don't have to use any oil on at all and it works wonderful.. and fast too
Fuzzywife68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/256/130

Height: 5'3"

Best of luck to you ( I clicked submit instead of preview)
Fuzzywife68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #4  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post

I have a few questions though:

Can I go out of order like I did this morning? I don't think I'm supposed to have a snack an hour after breakfast.
Yes, you can go out of order. No problem. Eating what your supposed to is the important part, not when you eat it.

Quote:
Along the same lines, do I have to have my veggies with my lunch or can I have them later? Also, can I have my veggies as a shake with fresh frozen veggies? I have frozen kale, spinach, broccoli that I could mix with water and blend. Not sure if that would be that great, but I'm more wondering if I need to have it with lunch.
Again, you can eat them whenever you want. If I have an IP soup for lunch, I'll usually have veggies in the afternoon.
Not sure how a frozen veggie smoothie would be, but a lot of people make chocolate/spinach smoothies using either the RTD or packet. It doesn't matter when or how you get the veggies, just get them in.

Quote:
I'm planning a vacation to leave in 3 weeks (for two full days, one night) and now I'm concerned that I'll have to cheat. What options does one have for breakfast, lunch, dinner at a hotel without a microwave/stove?
NO! you do not need to cheat!
Plan ahead. I'm going away for 2 weeks with my daughter for spring break...
I have stocked up on ready to drink chocolate drinks (my favorite) and I have packets of juice. I will be in hotels so I can make my soup there (there's usually a microwave nearby) and if that doesn't work, I'll have drinks. All you need is cold water and some ice if you like. The puddings are good for this too, can be made up quick in a hotel room. Keep your restricted foods handy for when you need them. I keep a couple bars in my purse at all times for emergencies, even though I typically don't eat restricted foods. For dinner, get your protein. If you're eating out, order your meat grilled, steamed veggies to go with it, and be specific about what kind of veggies. No carrots...restaurants love giving me carrots for some reason. And if you're not eating out in a restaurant, almost every grocery store has rotisserie chicken. Or even real deli meats...not the real heavily processed stuff with filler and carbs added. zero carbs and low fat. You can eat that. Salad you can get anywhere. There's lots of ways to eat on this diet when not at home. I have a "eat out" kit I carry with me. IP approved salad dressing, ketchup and bbq sauce because you can't eat anything (usually) served at restaurants as condiments. Remember you can have white or cider vinegar, and if you want that you have to be specific. You are usually given balsamic or red wine at restaurants, both are not allowed.

Quote:
Finally, what happens if I've maxed out on my food and I get hungry in the evening? What can I have to fill me up? I was told unlimited veggies, but then my sheet says 2 cups.
It is 4 cups of the veggies from the list a day. Then on top of that it is all the lettuce (romaine, iceburg, butter etc) you want. My coach says celery and dill pickles and cucumbers are also unlimited, but that goes against other coaches. I made a salad soup with chicken broth (zero fat/zero carb) canned generic from the grocery store, romaine, celery and onion powder and pepper. It's surprisingly good, and fills the "hole" of hunger. Also lettuce salads...a lot of them. Also remember to DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Not all hunger is HUNGER.

Quote:
How do you cook your dinner protein? I read that it shouldn't be fried, but says I should take up to 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Can I use this to fry the food? If not, what's the best way to prepare these foods?
If I'm having fish, I fast fry it. A little olive oil in the non-stick pan. I will sometimes fast fry beef too. Most everything else is BBQ'd or oven roasted. Some people on here say the oil you cook in is not counted toward your 2 tsp, but personally, I count it. On the other hand, a little extra oil has actually helped my wait loss, so that's up to you. There are some good recipes around the 3FC site for meat marinades and rubs (so you don't get bored eating the same thing).

Thank you and I'm excited to share my progress with you.[/QUOTE]
And WELCOME!!!!

Last edited by leannekarella; 02-21-2013 at 06:08 PM.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #5  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

As the others said you can eat the food out of order. It's easier if you get into a routine, because planning is key on this program.

You can split up your veggies also. Sometimes I need a midmorning snack and will eat some pickles then, and then only 1 cup of veggies with my salad at lunch.

If you get hungry during the first week you can have up to 4 packets. I was told 2 egg whites are "free" per day, so you can eat those if needed. The only unlimited food is lettuce, some coaches also say celery and cucumbers.

Traveling on IP is actually really simple. Packets can go in your carry on, and ready to drink shakes in your checked bag. I like making the hot cocoa in my hotel room in the morning, and use the coffee maker for the hot water. Most restaurants these days are very accommodating to dietary restrictions. For salads always order no cheese, croutons or dressing & ask for either lemon or vinegar and oil on the side. Dinner stick with grilled proteins and veggies, and ask for no butter on anything.

At home I mostly eat red meat, chicken & eggs. Everything is typically grilled, roasted or cooked in the slow cooker. Occasionally I will make a stir fry and use a tiny amount of olive oil or non-fat spray.

The first few days can be rough. Drink plenty of water and take naps if you can. Stick with it though, because it is totally worth it.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #6  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Everyone has given you great advice so far. My recommendation is that you try to stick to a regular routine with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack(s). It sounds like you ate your 3 IP foods at breakfast, 1 hour later, and then lunch. If you keep doing that, you might find yourself really hungry in the afternoon and evening.

If you are hungry between breakfast and lunch there are several things you can try. First drinking water (dehydration can masquerade as hunger), drink hot herbal tea or decaf tea/coffee (warm beverages keep you feeling satisfied), have a lettuce salad, have a couple hard boiled egg whites (these are freebies and are not counted towards your 8 oz lean protein).

You can space your veggies out throughout the meals, but if you have some at lunch time with your IP food you will likely stay satisfied for longer. You can have your IP snack either before or after dinner. I usually have dinner around 6.30 and go to bed at 9, so tend to have my snack before dinner, around 4.

Remember, the 1st week you can have an extra non-restricted IP food if you need it to get through.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #7  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Just wanted to add a quick welcome! There's so much great advice on here.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

Welcome and best of luck
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #9  
JJ1

Wow - thank you very much for the wonderful advice and the welcomes. With the support here, I am really looking forward to this now!
JJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: H253/219/177.4/150

Height: 5'4

Welcome! This a great forum for advice!!

bellasamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #11  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Welcome.
A good beginners thread is the "The Daily Chat" - I read here first and then if I have more time, I read others. This is a great place to ask questions and get answers. Be sure to read the top 2 Sticky's - there is a wealth of information there and will take some time to get through it.

IP is a great journey and this site has wonderful, caring people.
Best of Luck to you! Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote