Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #1  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

Lightbulb Healthy Crock Pot Recipes

A couple of us were talking about this in another thread and recommended we start a thread for Crock Pot Recipes.

If you don't have a crock pot, go get one! You will fall in love with the convenience and amount of time you save, especially if you work outside of the home. Plus, coming in from a long day at work to the smell of dinner almost done is a treat! Sort of like having a personal chef! And for all of you who have a hard time finding time to work, cook, and exercise (and like me, can not get up earlier to exercise!), this will help make time for you to get more done!

The only drawback with most crock pot recipes is they are usually full of fat, cream based soups, cheese...not exactly diet friendly. If you have any healthy recipes you would like to contribute, please do
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #2  
Starting Again

Baked Chicken

I love cooking an entire chicken in the crock pot! Not only is it a great meal for everyone, but there are always leftovers, which I shred and freeze for other recipes like fajitas, salad, wraps etc. A great time saver all around!

I used to use a rotisserie chicken seasoning from the spice aisle, but prepackaged "theme" spices tend to have a lot of MSG in it. Now I just play around with my spices to see what I come up with. You can change this to suit your family's taste. My family loves garlic, garlic, garlic and a side of garlic, so that's always a recurring theme.

Use a 3-5 pound roaster and remove the skin. You can also throw a bunch of boneless, skinless breasts in as well if you don't want the dark meat from a whole chicken.

Use enough salt to season the chicken to your taste. Mix up your spices and rub the chicken all over, especially the cavity. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Don't lift the lid!

My spice rub
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin (gives it sort of a smokey taste)

This is a good basic seasoning if you are going to use the chicken in other recipes later on.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #3  
Starting Again

For those of you having Chinese Food cravings (yes I do!!!)

Broccoli Beef
-1 lb thin beef (I used rib eye)
--1/4 cup soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat-free are gluten free)
--2 T white wine
--2 T apple cider vinegar
--1 T brown sugar
--2 t sesame oil
--2 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
--1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
--1 bag thawed broccoli florets (to add later)

The Directions.

--add the liquid to the crockpot
--chop up your garlic, add to mixture
--stir in spices

--slice meat into thin strips
--toss in the liquid and spice mixture to coat thoroughly

--cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on the cut of meat. Thicker pieces will take longer to tenderize.
--an hour before serving, add entire bag of broccoli, cover and cook on high for another hour or so. You can also partially cook the broccoli in the microwave to make this faster.

--stir gingerly to coat broccoli
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #4  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I just had this for supper last night and lunch today. Freezer dump meals. Best idea ever.

Stephanie's Goulash/Beef Stew (2 Bags)
(1) Green Pepper Chopped split between bags
(1) Chopped Onion per bag
(2) Carrots Chopped per bag
(2) Chopped Garlic Cloves per bag
(3) Ibs Beef Stew Meat Split Between Bags
(1) 6oz can Tomato Paste per bag
(2) tsp Paprika per bag
(1/4) tsp Black Pepper per bag
*Cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW in a slow cooker. Add (1/2) Cup of Sour Cream about 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve over Egg Noodles.

This is from http://melissafallistestkitchen.blog...ker-meals.html (other good looking freezer meals too that I have yet to try)
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #5  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Garlic Chicken

6 boneless chicken breasts (I use thighs and drumsticks without skins, I'm not a big chicken breast person)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons pepper
10 cloves garlic, unpeeled (I add extra)

Directions:
Mix the seasonings; rub all over the chicken. Cover the chicken with garlic cloves. Cook on LOW 6 hours or until the chicken is done in slow cooker. You can add other flavors, seasonings, spices, this is a base sometimes I use curry, jerk spice to change it up a bit.

I love this recipe mostly because I LOVE garlic. Every time I make it, I think I eat about 5-6 cloves (ends up similar to roasted) with my chicken.

Last edited by Tziri; 02-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #6  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Yaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!

Thank you for starting this thread!! When I get home I will grab a few of my recipes and post them in the thread tonight! I can't wait to see what everyone's recipes are like!

Last edited by Pink Hurricane; 02-21-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #7  

Hi,

Does anyone have a crockpot fish recipe? I love fish and would like some new ideas as now I mostly just nuke it and it is getting old that way.

I would especially like a tuna noodle casserole recipe . Now I tried it but the noodles were gummy in the crocpot.

I am not a fancy eater-just simple comfort good food is what I crave.

Thanks
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #8  
Starting Again

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
*This is one of those recipes you can double and freeze for a quick meal later.

For the chicken:

24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1 celery stalk
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I used Texas Pete)

For the wraps:

6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks

Directions:

In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth (enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn't enough). Cover and cook on high 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.

Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups chicken.

To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and dressing of your choice. Wrap up and start eating!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #9  
Starting Again

Sheridan,
I don't like using any pasta in the crock pot. I think that's one of those things that taste better when I make it fresh, and it doesn't take that long. Just curious, are you using cooked noodles or dry noodles when you have tried in the past?

I'll look around for some fish recipes. I have one for talapia that is soooooooo good, but it uses mayo, and I don't know if low fat or fat free will act the same. I may try making it with olive oil instead and see how it works out. I'll post the recipe and just do a disclaimer
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #10  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Hey Sheridan - I think the problem with fish and crockpot is that it cooks the heck out of the fish if you put it in in the beginning. But I have made clam chowder and manhattan clam chowder (no cream!) in the crockpot, using a lovely fish stock that I buy pre-packaged and then adding the clams last minute. No reason you couldn't poach fresh fish in your crock pot broth last minute as well.

I love using my crock pot. I'm using Intuitive Eating so I don't worry about avoiding cream or any particular ingredient - though I'm not a major fan of cream soups - and when I do make cream soups I use sour cream. This doesn't make it healthier, I just prefer the flavour. I do love that the crock pot helps me to make soups and stews that are full of veggies.

Today I made a 'gumbo' - chicken breasts, sausages, small packet of pancetta celery, pepper, onion, garlic, can of tomatoes and a can of red beans - added okra and chopped parsley about 30 minutes before serving. I don't measure out anything. But I go very, very heavy on the veggies and don't add extra water.

Get rid of the sausage and use brown rice or quinoa on the side instead of white rice for something healthier.

Last edited by AlmostMe; 02-21-2013 at 02:43 PM.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Easy Crockpot Chili - and pretty healthy too!

In a crockpot, just add:

2 lbs ground turkey burger,
2 packs low sodium taco packets
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 16oz. jar of salsa
1 can of crushed tomatoes
splash of hot sauce to taste if you like extra kick

its surprisingly good, for a chili with so few ingredients Good luck!

cook on high 6 hrs stir occasionally to break up the turkey meat
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #12  

I just boasted on another thread how I am never hungry on my eating plan....you ladies are making me starving with these yummy recipes. My husband is going to thank you!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #13  
Starting Again

Also with fish, wrap frozen fish in foil with seasonings and cook on LOW if you are putting it on before leaving the house.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Did this one the other day:

Crock Pot Whole Chicken

4 teaspoons salt (per recipe reviews, 2 tsp is better)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large roasting chicken (with pop-up timer if possible)
1 cup chopped onion (optional)
Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the spices.
Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
Place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. (I usually skip this step because I'm always in a hurry).
When ready to cook, put chopped onion in bottom of crock pot.
Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it's own juices.
Cook on low 4-8 hours.
Note: I highly recommend a pop-up timer in the chicken because some crock pots cook faster/slower than others (my crock pot cooks this recipe in 4-5 hours).
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #15  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tziri View Post
Garlic Chicken

6 boneless chicken breasts (I use thighs and drumsticks without skins, I'm not a big chicken breast person)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons pepper
10 cloves garlic, unpeeled (I add extra)

Directions:
Mix the seasonings; rub all over the chicken. Cover the chicken with garlic cloves. Cook on LOW 6 hours or until the chicken is done in slow cooker. You can add other flavors, seasonings, spices, this is my base sometimes I use curry, jerk spice to change it up a bit.

I love this recipe mostly because I LOVE garlic. Every time I make it, I think I eat about 5-6 cloves (ends up similar to roasted) with my chicken.
That sounds yummy! Do you put anything under the chicken or any liquid? I've never cooked anything in the crock without it either drowning or actually being a soup/stew.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote