Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Default Lap band + hiatal hernia = food help

Wow, it's been forever since I've been here. I haven't gained anymore weight, but I haven't lost more than a few pounds, either. Since about April of last year (the earliest I can remember it happening, anyway), I've been having these horrible attacks where I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Turns out it's a hiatal hernia, and my doctor wants me to start eating better and losing weight. Also, my SO whom I will be living with soon has a lap band, and honestly I don't know how to cook for someone with a lap band. Or a hiatal hernia. Or cook, at all, lmfao.

I was just wondering if anyone here had a lap band, or a HH, or both, could you give me an idea of some foods to generally avoid, or maybe some I've completely overlooked? I'm making a mock grocery list just for fun (I feel like I'm playing house lol), and thought I would find some recipes I liked and write them down, so when I do move in I can eventually do 2 things: plan dinners out a week in advance each week, and make a soup and freeze it for when his band is acting up and he can't eat solids.

Proteins:

Eggs
boneless, skinless chicken breast
ground turkey
extra lean ground beef
reduced sodium lunch meat
dried split peas
dried (kidney/other)beans

pasta and rice:

whole grain pasta
brown rice

dairy:

nonfat milk
reduced fat string cheese
pepperjack cheese
swiss cheese

drinks:

nonfat milk
gatorade

fruit:

pears
pineapple
apples
strawberries
bananas
grapes
blueberries

vegetables:

celery
cabbage
seaweed
frozen spinach

treats:

angel food cake mix
klondike 100 calorie bars
air popped popcorn kernels

Last edited by yhahmd; 02-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Hi, I hope you don't mind my asking but how come it took so long to diagnose your hiatal hernia? How did you come by the dx?

As for your post, I would say the lapband diet is a bit easier since they usually have a limited amount of food they can actually eat without getting sick. I would just start with looking at SO's menu then either add and/or subtract from there. I think your plan sounds great! Best of luck.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Hi, I hope you don't mind my asking but how come it took so long to diagnose your hiatal hernia? How did you come by the dx?

Well, the first time I mentioned the attack I had, my doctor said it was probably a fluke and wouldn't happen again. She and my mother both thought I had just had a bad panic attack and worked myself into the other symptoms (ringing in the ears, sudden deafness in both ears, dizziness, warm to the touch, horrible pain in my sternum, feeling of a belt being wrapped around my chest under my breasts, horrible upper back pain). Then it happened a second and third time, but it would only happen for a day or two and only be once every few months, so I stupidly just ignored it. Then in December I had a week and a half long attack off and on where I couldn't eat or keep anything down. After that I went in and they said it sounded like heart burn/acid reflux, and doubled my heart burn medication. That seemed to help, but I, again, stupidly, started to feel "safe" and kept forgetting to take my pill twice a day...resulting in another attack a couple weeks ago, so they finally ordered a scope.

Last edited by yhahmd; 02-20-2013 at 11:37 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #4  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

Ugh... I'm so sorry!! I have a large para-esophageal hiatal hernia. I am preparing for WLS and someone with a hiatal hernia is NOT a good candidate for any type of banding. About 50% of people have some type of hiatal hernia but the majority are never bothered by it. It's very likely that you had a small one and that the banding itself is what made it larger and problematic.

The best advice I can fice is to go back to small bites. Don't eat full meals. Eat a few bites at a time. Graze all day long. But also don't let your stomach stay empty too long. An empty stomach is more likely to incarcerate and cause an attack.

I have 3-6 attacks a month and they are so horrible! I have passed out from the pain and been in the ER several times.

The hernia can be repaired surgically if it's extreme. I am so anxious to have mine done!!!
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #5  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

Also, research hiatal hernia massage and consider seeing a naturopathic doctor to teach you how to do that during attacks. I know that has been really helpful for others and I had some success with it.
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote