Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/200/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Surprisingly unrestricted alternatives!

So, from the research I've done, it seems a widely accepted fact that 8g NET carbs and under makes a packet unrestricted (as long as the calories and fat aren't too high). I have found a few alternatives that one would assume are restricted, but by the aforementioned standard, turn out not to be, and I thought I would share, and see if anyone had any to add. Here's what I've found so far (calculating net carbs as total carbs, including sugar alcohols minus dietary fiber), all from Nashua Nutrition:

Protidiet soy nuts, roasted and salted (4 g net carbs)
Protidiet blueberry pancakes (6 g net carbs)
Protidiet protein crisps, white cheddar (8 g net carbs)
Healthsmart cinnamon cereal (5 g net carbs and my absolute fave!)
Protisnax chocolate chip sweet rolls baking mix (4 g net carbs)
and one I'm on the fence about:
Protidiet chocolate dream bar (5 g net carbs, but with 160 calories and 12 g of fat...I think it's ok on lighter olive oil days..although I also believe that eating fat helps burn fat)

Any additions or thoughts?
Violetgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #2  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

One that comes to mind right away: Proti diet parisian toast. Per portion (1/2 bag, which is plenty) 110 cal, and 5 net carbs (10 g total carbs, 5 g fibre).
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #3  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
One that comes to mind right away: Proti diet parisian toast. Per portion (1/2 bag, which is plenty) 110 cal, and 5 net carbs (10 g total carbs, 5 g fibre).
Ooh! That'll be in my NEXT order!! YUM!!!! Thx!!

OP..... I agree with your choices!! Can't wait to try the Choc chip sweet rolls!

Other favorites that I found thanks to all the great Peeps on here:
Protidiet BBQ crisps (8 g net carbs)
Protidiet maple-brown Sugar oatmeal (5 g net carbs).....I like this tho other posters have not.....just an FYI .
Protidiet hot cocoa drink mix (5 g net carbs)
ProtiDiet Protein Bar - Peanut Butter and Smooth Caramel Crisp (18 carbs - 10 g fiber = 8 g net carbs). Fat is less than 30% so I do believe these are still UNRESTRICTED!! woot woot!! LOVE THESE!!!
disgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #4  

FYI
The chocolate dream bar was addressed yesterday in the alternative thread.

Here is the post
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4637703-post88.html
Since IP is both low fat and low carb, that bar would be considered restricted due to fat content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post
Ooh! That'll be in my NEXT order!! YUM!!!! Thx!!OP..... I agree with your choices!! Can't wait to try the Choc chip sweet rolls!

Other favorites that I found thanks to all the great Peeps on here:
Protidiet BBQ crisps (8 g net carbs)
Protidiet maple-brown Sugar oatmeal (5 g net carbs).....I like this tho other posters have not.....just an FYI .
Protidiet hot cocoa drink mix (5 g net carbs)
ProtiDiet Protein Bar - Peanut Butter and Smooth Caramel Crisp (18 carbs - 10 g fiber = 8 g net carbs). Fat is less than 30% so I do believe these are still UNRESTRICTED!! woot woot!! LOVE THESE!!!
The Maple-brown sugar oatmeal makes some awesome oatmeal/zucchini muffins! A great breakfast alternative!

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-19-2013 at 01:11 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #5  
started 2/22/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
FYI
The Maple-brown sugar oatmeal makes some awesome oatmeal/zucchini muffins! A great breakfast alternative!
Made those last night for my evening snack! . Thanks again Lisa! !
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Almost all correct

The soy nuts and the Chocolate Dream bar are *technically* unrestricted if you ONLY look at the carb count. But both are much higher in fat than other unrestricted products - total calories from fat should be less than 30% (you can just multiply the calories from fat by 3, if it's lower than total calories that meets the 30% rule).

The IP soy nuts are the same way - lower in carbs but higher in fat so IP classifies them as restricted. The ProtiDiet soy nuts and the Chocolate Dream bar (and the Wafers) should be treated the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetgal View Post
So, from the research I've done, it seems a widely accepted fact that 8g NET carbs and under makes a packet unrestricted (as long as the calories and fat aren't too high). I have found a few alternatives that one would assume are restricted, but by the aforementioned standard, turn out not to be, and I thought I would share, and see if anyone had any to add. Here's what I've found so far (calculating net carbs as total carbs, including sugar alcohols minus dietary fiber), all from Nashua Nutrition:

Protidiet soy nuts, roasted and salted (4 g net carbs)
Protidiet blueberry pancakes (6 g net carbs)
Protidiet protein crisps, white cheddar (8 g net carbs)
Healthsmart cinnamon cereal (5 g net carbs and my absolute fave!)
Protisnax chocolate chip sweet rolls baking mix (4 g net carbs)
and one I'm on the fence about:
Protidiet chocolate dream bar (5 g net carbs, but with 160 calories and 12 g of fat...I think it's ok on lighter olive oil days..although I also believe that eating fat helps burn fat)

Any additions or thoughts?
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 303/212.6/180

Height: 5"10

I keep reading about alternatives. I was just wondering if you think mixing Ip and alternatives would be ok?
ckmainprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #8  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post

oooo i've been thinking about getting the parisian toast. Is it good? What do you pair it with?
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmainprize View Post
I keep reading about alternatives. I was just wondering if you think mixing Ip and alternatives would be ok?
There are quite a few people who do that. I did for two weeks before switching completely to alternatives, I saw no difference in my losses over any of those weeks.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #10  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

My absolute favorite is WonderSlim Pretzel Bows 7 net carbs per bag (which is plenty) I dip them in homemade "honey" mustard. Yummy!
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/200/185

Height: 5'9"

I've pretty much always combined IP products with alternatives. I love the IP chocolate RTD, and I just haven't found an alternative I like as much. Thanks for the info on the chocolate dream bar and soy nuts, Scorbett and Lisa. Learning to fly, I will definitely include the Parisian toast in my next order!
Violetgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #12  
started 2/22/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetgal View Post
I've pretty much always combined IP products with alternatives. I love the IP chocolate RTD, and I just haven't found an alternative I like as much. Thanks for the info on the chocolate dream bar and soy nuts, Scorbett and Lisa. Learning to fly, I will definitely include the Parisian toast in my next order!
Have you tried "New Lifestyle Diet" RTD Chocolate ? A couple years ago someone else on these forums researched and found out they're the same product.....I have been purchasing only those ever since! . Even brought one in to my IP coach ....and she said the info looks exactly the same too!

Not sure how much it would cost for a six pack just to try it out.....I purchase $200.00 worth to get free shipping. Might be worth checking it out tho.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #13  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
oooo i've been thinking about getting the parisian toast. Is it good? What do you pair it with?
Well, I gotta say it doesn't exactly taste like bread or toast....it's more about making me feel like I'm eating bread based on appearances rather than actual taste. I have only paired it so far with butter (I never could follow rules, so yes, I eat butter some days); my real reason for buying it was to pair it up with peanut butter powder (reconstituted with water, so it's low-fat, from Nashua - also non compliant with the rules of phase 1) and some WF fruit-flavor spread, so that it would be like peanut butter and jelly sandwich (which I miss). I haven't got around to doing the PB yet and I haven't tried that powdered peanut butter yet, so I'm not sure how that tastes either. A friend of mine absolutely loves eating a slice of that "bread" with her IP soup for lunch...she says it makes her feel more normal.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't recommend Parisian toast based on taste alone, but it does give me a certain satisfaction because it LOOKS so much like bread. I do find it filling and it certainly doesn't taste "bad".
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote