General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/198/110

Height: 5'3

Default Help Help Help! feel like giving up

im 22, 197 today and 5'3. i started at 201 and went down to 190 eating healthy and doing like work outs. the past month i have worked my booty off eating right and working out hardcore. 1-2 hours of classes at the gym 5 times a week. why have i gained all my weight back? i just feel like crying and giving up. ive googled phenteramine, alli, gastric surgery. i have no idea what to do anymore

i should have added my usual diet.... barely any carbs, lots of protein and veggies and usually a gallon or very close to a gallon of water a day. i eat 1200+ calories a day, no where close to starving myself. my workouts include bootcamp, ripped (another version of bootcamp) and step and sweat. im so frustrated, i just dont understand

Last edited by srbrannon91; 02-15-2013 at 08:36 PM.
srbrannon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #2  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Don't give up, don't panic, take a good look at what you're eating and what activity you are doing.

If you aren't giving your body enough food (fuel) it will think it is starving and will try and hold on to whatever you give it, same thing with your liquids, if you don't drink enough water your body will retain water, kind of a self preservation mechanism.

I'm more than twice your age, almost the same height, was heavier than you at the start (around June/July) and with simple changes, more veggies, lots of walking, making sure I'm getting in about 60-70 oz. water per day, I've lost just about 40 lbs. and feel great.

Stick with it, you've taken a big step getting started, there's going to be ups and downs, but you're going to feel better and better as you get yourself healthier.

best to you
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/198/110

Height: 5'3

i should have added my usual diet.... barely any carbs, lots of protein and veggies and usually a gallon or very close to a gallon of water a day. i eat 1200+ calories a day, no where close to starving myself. my workouts include bootcamp, ripped (another version of bootcamp) and step and sweat. im so frustrated, i just dont understand
srbrannon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #4  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Hey, I think if you're working out hard, your body will trap water in your muscles to help them heal. Maybe try resting for a few days? Check your sodium intake as well, just in case. If in doubt, change it up... seems to be the way to go. Ie if you're exercising hard, rest; if you're resting, exercise (hard or otherwise); if you're low fat, eat some healthy fats, if you're low carb, eat some healthy carbs, if you usually do cardio, do strength or stability or stretchiness, etc etc etc...

I hope you get over the slump soon, but just don't give up! From what I've heard and experienced it helps to make your diet & exercise as confusing as humanly possible, so your body doesn't get accustomed to any specific thing. And that you need rest days. Strength training tears your muscles. Rest knits them back together, stronger
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #5  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Did u take measurements maybe u are losing inches. If not might be you are under eating and over working. Don't get discouraged just because you hit a bump in the road, chances are you might hit another. No one said it was going to be easy but your hard work will reward you plenty in the end.

Last edited by chubbiegurl; 02-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/140 ish

Height: 5'7

You don't mention your fat intake - I've found supplementing with Omega 3 fatty acids - either from fish (which I hate), fish oil pills (only mildly less gross), or Chia or flaxseeds seems to speed up the rate of loss.

That said, working out hard core makes your muscles
a. grow and b. hold water.

How are your clothes fitting?
SCStxRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #7  

Something doesn't seem right. At your weight, activity level, and with the amount of calories you're eating, there is no way you should be gaining. Two suggestions:

1) See a doctor to rule out any medical issue (e.g., thyroid problem).

2) Start weighing and measuring your food. If you don't have a medical issue, there is no way that you should be gaining on 1200 calories a day unless you are seriously miscounting. Be honest with yourself (I'm not trying to be harsh; I'm just trying to help). I sometimes slide into "estimating" mode rather than weighing and measuring, and inevitably my portions start creeping up. For instance, I've been lax about weighing my butter (I eat the real thing). Today, I weighed out a one-serving portion, and it was clearly much smaller than the one-tablespoon serving I had been telling myself I was eating (but in reality I was probably eating at least 1 1/2 tbsp. each time).

Good luck to you!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

are you sure you NEVER go over 1200 calories? you dont have reward days etc or miss logging food?

to be fair, you havent gained back ALL your weight and the weight you have put back on could be from many things.. maybe your weight is up because your about to have your period? maybe you have gained a bit of muscle weight etc

youve still lost 4 pounds and you have adopted a whole new life style so your doing really good. the weight will come off and stay off if you keep at it.

when i tried to eat 1200 calories i totally stopped losing weight for 2 weeks after losing every week (i assume starvation mode might exist) once i realized i wasnt going to drop weight anymore i pigged out for one day and gained 2.6lbs then i raised my calories to 1600 and i started losing weight again the next day. maybe your eating too few calories? or maybe your body got used to functioning on 1200 calories and you need to play around with calories by upping them to say 1400 and see how that goes. just keep trying and you will figure it out
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote