Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default low blood sugar problems and a number of issues after weightloss

Hey all!

Its been a long time since I've been on here since I've been so busy with work and school. But I have a few questions for you and health issues after weight loss. Towards the end of my weight loss probably, January 2012 until present I have been having what I assume blood sugar problems.

It will hit when I least expect it and it gets to the point where I almost pass out. While it happens I feel like every system in my body starts shutting down. It has happened when I am driving, shopping, and at school and work. I start feeling really week and like I said, it feels like everything is shutting down and I have to fight my body to not pass out on me. And I will feel really weak. The only thing that I have found that helps is eating really high carb and calorie food and then I'm ok. I have also been having really bad anxiety problems, so bad I get sick.

Since completing my weight loss and diet in July 2012 I have not been eating strict a strict low calorie diet. Though I have not been over indulging myself, I seem to have found a place somewhere in the middle calorie wise.

Since I have been maintaining since July 2012 I have not gained any weight but have lost more weight. My starting weight was 175, I stopped at 120 and have now been weighing between 116-118.

My question for you guys, is it normal to experience low blood sugar level type symptoms after the weight loss? I never used have an issue except towards the end of the diet. And I'm getting worried about how frequently this has been happening. I have not had time to go to the doctors, but I wanted to come here first. Has anybody experienced similar problems?
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #2  

I really think you should make the time to go see a doctor. This sounds very dangerous. A simple blood test may be all the dr. needs to help you. Good luck and keep us posted.
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

I get extremely hungry, lightheaded and dizzy when I need to eat. As in past normal hunger levels, really really need to eat. This happens most often when my calorie levels are low (like I'm trying to lose so I keep my daily cals at 1500 or so), and after a hard workout. However since I know that, the solution is rather simple - eat something, pronto, and I know to plan to eat and carry food with me. (I will also add that I live in the middle of nowhere, and was so unhappy with the only local doctor the last time I went to him, that I refuse to go back short of having a limb amputated or something extreme and don't go for annual physicals. If it wasn't so inconvenient I would go for a normal yearly physical, and would mention this. So I haven't been to the doc - don't be like me.) This has actually happened my whole life, when I was heavy, too. My mom remembers me being at the mall and "getting really cranky". She would get me a snack and I was ok. My BF knows to feed me when I get "cranky", too.

The fact that you can't relate this happening to a particular event, and it happens when you're driving, worries me. This could be dangerous. I would suggest going to a doctor. Do you feel dizzy or lightheaded? Because that could involve blood pressure as well as blood sugar, and other things I'm not even thinking of because I'm not a medical professional. Please be careful and get this checked out!

Last edited by Megan1982; 02-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

This sounds like blood sugar swings. It makes sense that a high carb food will snap you out of it as your body is pumping too much insulin. BUT... with doing that, you are pumping it right back up to just come crashing down again.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about it as it seems you have at the least, hypoglycemia. And you could be prediabetic or diabetic.

The best way I combat that is to eat lower carb diet. I'm not talking Atkins here, but under 100 net carbs a day and when you eat a carb ALWAYS pair it with protein and fat.

For me, I found I do much better with no bread, rice, bananas, grains in general, sweet potatoes, pasta. I just eat the protein and veggies. This keeps my blood sugars level more stable and steady and I no longer get these big swings in blood sugar. It makes me feel better and it is protecting me from full out diabetes.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Please go see a doctor! When your blood sugar gets too low you can lose consciousness, which you do not want to have happen while you're driving a car. Given that you're still losing weight despite eating more as well, AND having anxiety problems, your doctor should definitely check your thyroid hormone levels. It's possible that you are experiencing hyperthyroidism -- an overactive thyroid gland. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can be a side effect of hyperthyroidism, as are weight loss, nervousness, irritability, and many others. It is a condition that requires medical attention.

I'm not a medical professional, so don't think I'm giving you a diagnosis or something -- I'm just saying that it's one of the possible things your doctor may want to look into, and that I feel like you should see a doctor as soon as you can.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #6  

Thank you guys for the responses. The symptoms and panic attacks do happen randomly. I get dizzy and irritable, it also makes it very hard to concentrate and focus. At least now I know what type of blood test I should be tested for. I have also been sick for the past 10 days and my body has been unable to fight it off. I went to my college's doctors office, didn't get my blood test but I have an oxygen level of 100 and blood pressure 118. The frequency of the panic attacks is what worries the most, all though the other symptoms also make me worried. I was hoping this would go away if I eat more food but now I don't think the amount of food is going to stop these symptoms. I really appreciate the advice, and now know the cause of these symptoms can be a lot more serious than I previously thought.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Definitely see a doctor... I'm not sure why that campus doctor's office didn't do a finger stick... I'm sure you're aware that you can check your blood sugar on your own... they have cheap disposable meters at any pharmacy so you could check it yourself, but I don't recommend that... See a doctor first and see what they have to say... It could be low blood sugar... It could be a lot of other things... and either way they need to find out what's causing it...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 02-12-2013 at 04:27 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Please go see a doctor! When your blood sugar gets too low you can lose consciousness, which you do not want to have happen while you're driving a car. Given that you're still losing weight despite eating more as well, AND having anxiety problems, your doctor should definitely check your thyroid hormone levels. It's possible that you are experiencing hyperthyroidism -- an overactive thyroid gland. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can be a side effect of hyperthyroidism, as are weight loss, nervousness, irritability, and many others. It is a condition that requires medical attention.

I'm not a medical professional, so don't think I'm giving you a diagnosis or something -- I'm just saying that it's one of the possible things your doctor may want to look into, and that I feel like you should see a doctor as soon as you can.
This is a good call too.

The general consensus is - talk to a doctor about your symptoms and get a full blood work up.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree that a doctor's visit is called for.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Also, please keep us updated on what you find out from the doctor! We're always here to try and support you.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #11  

Hi guys! I wanted to give you all an update. I ended up having to back into my campus' health center. I've been sick for 12 days now and something is going wrong with my body. I've been having low oxygen level intake issues, the finger tested 85, not sure what that means but I guess it's low, I didn't catch the number of my pulse but she said my body was exhausted and my blood pressure was 128. I've also been having complete energy depletion and shortness of breath. I don't have the flu but I don't exactly have a cold. So I have no idea what's going on. I asked the nurse if I could have a full blood work test and I go back tomorrow at 4pm for results. I've already had to miss a week's worth of school and a few days of work with no paid sick leave. I can't afford to be sick for much longer. I hope whatever is going on isn't too serious and can be dealt with quickly once on treatment.

Last edited by SoCalCowgirl; 02-13-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad you went to the health center, but I'm wondering if you have medical insurance??? If so, you may want to see a "real" doctor. Not to put down the campus health centers, but I was incredibly sick as a freshman in college (mono and strep throat and other issues simultaneously). I really feel like if I had gone to a doctor that wasn't so overwhelmed with sick college students I would have gotten better much quicker. I ended up bombing my first semester because I missed so much school. I should have withdrawn but didn't realize that was an option, which ultimately changed my career choice (I was pre-vet and told that if I didn't have a 4.0 I wouldn't get into vet school, so that ended that).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #13  

Hey guys, I thought I'd give you another update. I seem to be get. ting worse and now I am having complications with breathing. I feel like I'm being suffocated and only have a partial amount of air going through. I have had a heart murmur since I was born, and now I'm worried something might be up. I was barely able to make it through work, and became very drowsy and exhausted, it was also very difficult to hold a conversation because not being able to breath right. I go back to my campus doctor's today for blood results so I will have to wait until this evening to see what's going on.
@ traveling Michele: I do have health insurance, and have doctor, but I haven't seen him in years. Ideally I'd like to go to him but he is completely booked for the next couple of weeks, and I was able to get in at school immediately. Depending on tonight's results I will probably go to the walk-in and see what they have to say.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Please consider going to the ER or an urgent care facility if you don't get good answers/care from the campus doctor. I am very concerned about you. The fact that your oxygen levels are low isn't good-- I'm not a doctor so I have no idea what could be wrong-- but you shouldn't wait.

I will say some prayers for you. Please keep us posted!!

Also, your regular doctor may get you in if it is an emergency!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am thinking along the same lines as Michele, see if your Doctor can't work you in. Be sure and stress the breathing problem, If that doesn't work go to ER.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote