Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Question Tips for Early Morning Motivation

I have decided that the best time to fit in exercise for me is in the early morning, as every day I work tends to be super busy and leaves me pretty tired. I want to start waking up earlier to workout before work so I do not have any excuses and can handle whatever the day may bring without having to worry about when I am going to fit in time to exercise.

Does anyone have any tips or bits of advice that help you get up early and get your workout in? Also, should I eat breakfast before working out or after?

Thank you in advance! I'm at a point where I just have to make this happen now, I cannot slip up anymore.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #2  
*Embrace Power*

If this helps, I will be doing 45-60 min workouts in the morning, some are high intensity while others are more focused on stregnth training, which is why I am unsure of when I should eat breakfast, before or after the workout.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I get up in the morning to work out too. I eat breakfast before I work out (a small one) and if I'm lifting I'll have a protein shake or protein bar right after. I like splitting up breakfast that way

One thing that really helps me is going to sleep in my gym clothes and making sure my work clothes and everything else I need (my lunch, purse, etc.) are all ready for me to grab and go in the morning. There is NO EXCUSE then for me to skip a workout because everything is set up so I can run out to the gym right after breakfast.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

when i was working out in the mornings, which was a summer thing due to my summer schedule, i would pack all my gym clothes the night before and then just get up and go to the gym....dont overthink it, just get up and out the door...i would usually eat some peanut butter because anything more in my stomach made it difficult to run at the gym...

for motivation i bribed myself LOL...if i did 5 workday mornings at the gym, i could go to the gym hot tub on sunday...and later i changed it, if i ran 2 miles each morning at the gym, i could get one of their smoothies on the weekend...mmm spendy yummy protein smoothies lol

i came to enjoy the quiet moments at home in the early morning, eating my spoon of peanut butter in my quiet dark kitchen....i came to enjoy watching the sunrise from my view from the treadmill on the second floor...i really enjoyed starting my day with a focus on myself and my health

on a side note: i will never exercise outside, as much as i'd like to, because it triggers serious asthma issues no matter how healthy i may be...so it's always the gym for me
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Yep, plan ahead, be ready, don't think when you first wake up, just do it!

Go to bed early...

I never eat before a work out, I have a coffee and out the door I go... I eat only if I am leaving for a bike ride for over 1.5 hours, if it's only a 45-60 min workout I don't bother... Everyone is different though....Try it both ways and see what works for you...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

Everyone's suggestions are great! I second sleeping in clothes if need be and make sure to get to bed early. Also you can put your alarm across the room so you have to get out of bed to shut it off. It's much easier once your up. I get up at 415 to work out. But if your just starting and the wake up time is much earlier you could just start with half for the first week so the adjustment isn't as big and go for the full time the second week. It depends on my work out whether I eat before. If I do though it is very small and I always have a protein shake afterwards. Good luck!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #7  

I get out of my bed and put on my workout clothes (laid out the night before). The only thing I have to do when I go downstairs is put on my sneakers and grab a bottle of water.

At first I had started eating first and then waiting about 10-15 mins. to start exercising but I found I was getting distracted (hello 3FC lol) and delaying my start or cutting time off my workout to make up the goofing off time.

Best plan for me is to get started before my body even knows what I am doing (safely of course!!).
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

drink at least a pint of water before getting into bed (it works a treat!)

Kit laid out ready all the days food packed and prepped.

i never eat before the gym only strong black coffee and it never affected my workouts i think this one is pretty much personal preference.

If you can get a coffee maker with a timer set it for 5min before your due to get up. so much easier to get out of bed when you can smell fresh coffee!
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #9  
*Embrace Power*

Wow thank you for all of the great advice, especially about having coffee ready and my clothes ready to go. I also am valuing the 'overthinking' part because that's what gets me the most. I wake up and automatically start thinking too much haha. And what AlaskanLaughter said about enjoying that quiet time and watching the sunrise, that certainly seems like the perfect way to start the day. Thanks again everybody!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #10  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
drink at least a pint of water before getting into bed (it works a treat!)

Kit laid out ready all the days food packed and prepped.
Yes! I try to always drink a large amount of water (with Chia seeds now) to make sure that when my alarm goes off I HAVE to get up and pee, before my bladder explodes. Getting out of bed is half the battle for me!!!

I don't exercise in the morning, but I do find that the more prepared I am for the day the night before, the better my day starts off. I don't feel rushed, since I am already ready. I pack my lunch, and get all of my things ready and by the door before bed. Works very well! I even sometimes manage to have enough time to eat breakfast at home instead of at my desk at work

Also, I like to play some upbeat music first thing to get me going!

Last edited by Silverfire; 02-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #11  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I eat a handful of almonds- at least 10 or else I feel sick while working out. Just get up put on clothes still half asleep, grab my water grab some nuts use the bathroom turn on my 30 ds video and that's my wake up routine lol when I exercise in the am's. I work over nights so it's just whatever I prefer, did it this am when I got off work. I second just getting up and not thinking- make it a habit.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

I dont eat prior to working out. I get up and work out around 5:45 or 6am 6 days a week, usually for 45min -1 hour. For me, I just have to GET UP and not give myself the time to talk myself out of it. It took me a FEW MONTHS for it to become a regular routine! I will say its easier to start this routine in the summer when its brighter out in the morning =)
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #13  
*Embrace Power*

I will have to drink that water for sure before bed, nothing gets me up quicker than having to go pee! Also I tried to have a little something before hand this morning, like a banana, and that helped to keep me satisfied even well after my workout, I didn't even have my normal sized breakfast like I am used to because I was so satisfied!

I am still struggling with wanting to hit snooze or just make an excuse to do it later, but I know I can't. Too much can happen in one day to derail me from exercising, and I am finding I am so much more relaxed when I go ahead and get it in first thing in the morning!

Overthinking is a huge issue for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I don't eat before my swim, but I have time for breakfast after. I keep my car keys by my bed so I can hit the command start when my alarm goes off (it's freaking cold here in the winter), and I have my bag all ready to go. If you have trouble waking in general, look into a "wake up light" alarm clock. Mine is a phillips model and it's amazing.

The moment you actually get to the gym and get moving, you'll feel amazing. I'm to the point now where if I don't get there in the morning (sometimes I go at noon) I feel "off" until I get my workout in.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote