Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Default Those who have gone overseas while on IP????

As you know we are going to Ireland for approx21days. What are the easiest ways to carry IP/alternative product?? Also, what can I bring on the plane?? I am going to call closer to the date to get a childs meal for my daughter and a special meal for myself. (For some reason, I love airplane food, to me it's a part of the adventure.)

Can I pack a tub of protein drink into my checked bag???

I am getting so nervous about all this. Part of me wants to splurge a little, maybe a pint of Guiness. Part of me is worried it will be super difficult esp since we will be at relatives (and my inlaws live in the sticks) so I will have to cook and shop a lot. And after spending a few days at my Aunts constantly being asked what I can eat and can't eat it got kind of annoying. I certainly don't mind talking about it, but I know it's hard for people to understand exactly what it's like.

Bottom line, I want to continue to lose weight while I am away, but not be stressed about it.

TG I love Salmon and Monkfish.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

I can't answer your questions but just wanted to say we're going to Ireland also. We'll be there for a week in September and hope to be in maintenance by then. I seriously doubt I'll be able to stay OP while there simply because I love fish and chips too much. Not a big drinker (and really don't like Guiness) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Last time we were there I was surprised by how many veggies we actually got at most meals. I never knew I liked turnips until that trip.

I'm hoping to stay close to the program with several planned deviations while there but expect to be doing a while back on P1 once we get home.

Last edited by M35A2; 02-12-2013 at 01:11 PM.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

I would pack the IP packets and the shaker. they will not allow RTD on the airplane but they will give you water I went to Turks ans Caicos in January and stayed on plan for 10 days
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #4  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I travel routinely on IP. I usually take my own fresh food to eat on the plane (veggies, etc.) along with IP cappuccino and a bar. I'm very picky about the airline food I'll eat. For instance, on Saturday I ate the eggs that were offered and left behind the croissant, sticky bun, quiche, fruit, and yogurt. My preference is to stay OP, and honestly, airline food just isn't worth cheating for.

I pack some RTDs and most of my packets and bars in my checked bags, exceot for what I'm going to eat on the plane.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #5  

So I can take packets on the plane?? We aren't leaving until dinner time so I would need a snack at most, maybe a drink in the morning. I figured I would get the low carb w/ no dairy meal. I just don't trust Aer Lingus, they aren't known for great customer service.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #6  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
So I can take packets on the plane?? We aren't leaving until dinner time so I would need a snack at most, maybe a drink in the morning. I figured I would get the low carb w/ no dairy meal. I just don't trust Aer Lingus, they aren't known for great customer service.
Let me know how it goes. Going to Australia for a week and half and I plan to stay OP. but I'm afraid they may make me throw my silver packets away :-(
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #7  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Yes, I do it all the time. I put the cappuccino in my coffee on the plane.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Last year I went to France & Italy for 2 1/2 weeks. Rented an apartment in Paris for a few days, then down to Aix en Provence for a few days and then onto a food and wine cruise of the French & Italian Rivieras. I ate whatever I wanted during those 2 weeks, including lots of wine given the nature of the trip (wine lectures, tours of fabulous wineries, at least 2 wine tastings/day and unlimited very good wine from special wineries on the cruise ship). I gained only 3.2 pounds during the trip and I attribute it to the preparation I did.

Wuv worked with me and she told me to do two weeks of Phase 2 and 2 weeks of Phase 3, then as soon as I get back, jump back on Phase 1.

I started P2 at 159 pounds, 2 weeks later started P3 at 155 pounds, 2 weeks later, left for Europe at 153.8 pounds (yes, lost weight on P2 and P3). Came back 6/5, morning of 6/6/12, weighed in at 157 and started back on P1. On 6/12/12, weighed in at 152.8. (BTW, I left several days worth of IP packets on my kitchen counter so starting back up was easy, no excuses .)

IMHO, the key was phasing off properly so my weight didn't rebound as it has on other diets. Second, I truly believe my pancreas has been reset and my metabolism works better.

I'm 56, take thyroid meds, so have the issues many older women have.

On the cruise, I usually had 2 breakfasts every day since I tend to rise very early. My first breakfast was coffee and yogurt, some berries. Second breakfast was a croissant of some type, their special eggs of the day, maybe a little more fruit and whatever else I wanted to nibble on. I'd be the first in the dining room where the buffet was, read the morning paper, did a little art work (sketching), waited for my husband to join me in the next hour and a half, then have my second breakfast.

PROLOGUE: Anyway, by end of August I was down to 142 and wearing between size 4 and 6. Went on another vacation in September and this time, just drifted away from IP when I returned 2 weeks later. Over the following 4 months, gained 16 pounds eating everything, especially chocolate and had wine with dinner most nights. Restarted IP 12/26/12 at 158.8 and so far down 7 pounds but also went on a ski vacation in January and once again, drifted into non-IP fare and gained a few pounds which I lost in the first week back, so those transgressions cost me time... So I'm back to lose the last 15 pounds. Clearly I'll have to be going back to P1 after vacations to keep my weight in check. At least I know IP really works well for me, on Weight Watchers it would take much longer for me to lose.

Last edited by Chloe222; 02-13-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #9  

Chloe222 Thank you for all the info!! I was debating going into phase 2 for the trip since it will be easier to deal with, not as many ??? ...

I am going to talk to scorbet about it. (No of course not my coach!!)

BTW: I LOVE LOVE LOVE Paris and Provence. We did both on our honeymoon. Your trip sounds divine.

I don't mind bringing packets, at least we can each have a free check in bag, but with extra walking etc..I don't want to fall into problems.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #10  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I love that this thread was started! I've traveled on IP before, and I just haven't stayed on plan. I prefer to have my packets blended and I like most products heated (e.g., cereal, chocolate drink). So i've had difficulty in finding a place to microwave and blend when traveling internationally. Plus, my husband loves trying new food, and he doesn't have to lose weight....watching him eat is difficult....
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkat View Post
Let me know how it goes. Going to Australia for a week and half and I plan to stay OP. but I'm afraid they may make me throw my silver packets away :-(
I am definitely calling Aer Lingus to get all the info before I go. And taking names. Trust me. I want to make sure I have no problems. I would hope Quantas has more pleasant air hosts. Aer Lingus has miserable underpaid workers who take it out on the customers. YIKES!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #12  

I travelled south a few weeks ago and packed my silver packs in my luggage. I had enough packs in my purse to do the day of the flights. The airline lost my luggage, but luckily I got it back the next morning. I didn't miss any meals but wished I had packed my food in my carry-on bag.

For those that like hot drinks, I either take my shaker or my Magic Bullet with me in my checked luggage. I make the chocolate shake with a little cold water and then dilute it with hot water (most hotels have a coffee maker you can use to heat up water). Caution when opening the shaker after adding hot water - it can splash (but I find it cool enough to not bother me).

If the RTD are less than 100 ml, you should be able to take some on the plane wiith you. You can have liquids under 100ml in a one-liter plastic bag.

Last edited by Willi; 02-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #13  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

I'm not traveling on quantas. Going on hawaiin air and then later from Sydney I am flying to cairns on some other airline. Pretty nervous about it. So it seems a couple people have been able to take silver packets on carry on as well?
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I am definitely calling Aer Lingus to get all the info before I go. And taking names. Trust me. I want to make sure I have no problems. I would hope Quantas has more pleasant air hosts. Aer Lingus has miserable underpaid workers who take it out on the customers. YIKES!
Ninja,
I really want to go to Ireland, maybe next year. You've been there before, yes?
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

I have traveled to China, India and Nepal on IP-I was never questioned about my RTD, in fact, I am not sure I would have made it on those long flights without a few RTD. I used RTD and bars on the plane-would pick through the "protein" and "veggies" served. I called ahead and asked for diabetic meals and they were generally bland protein and veggies.

I eat IP packets for breakfast and snacks when (in the hotel and on the go) but I eat probably phase 2/3 when out and about for lunch and dinner. I walk a lot when I travel, so on each trip, though I was not totally on program, I came back weighing less. I avoid alcohol as I would rather eat my calories and it bloats me.

I studied abroad in Ireland during my undergrad years and definitely found it tough to avoid Guinness and hard cider. I think Chloe had the best advice-phase off before you go and start phase 1 when you return. Enjoy your trip; I love Ireland!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote