Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #1  
I know I can

Question Vegetarian getting mixed messages from coach on protein- help!

Hello everyone. I could use some help.
I have been doing IP for 5 weeks tomorrow. I am a vegetarian and having been choking down hard boiled egg whites which I do not tolerate very well.
I was told I could have one Tablespoon of peanut butter in lieu of the 2 egg whites. I need other ideas for my dinner protein.
I cannot eat beef, chicken, pork, fish or seafood. The eggs are pushing it.
If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Watkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/?see ticker?/150

Height: 5'6"

Have you tried veggie burgers or Smart Dogs?? I haven't tried YET, but will be this weekend, longdivision suggested them..
whisperingshouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #3  
I know I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingshouts View Post
Have you tried veggie burgers or Smart Dogs?? I haven't tried YET, but will be this weekend, longdivision suggested them..
I will try them. Thank you.

Last edited by Watkat; 06-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #4  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkat View Post
I will try them. Thank you.
hi! i'm a vegetarian and i've been on plan for almost 6 months. here is what you can eat:

smart dogs
veggie burgers
non-breaded soy chicken
seitan
tofu
morning star bacon

there are tons of meat alternatives (boca, morning star, quorn, etc.) that you can eat. most are pretty high in protein. just try to keep your servings under 5 net carbs and watch out for sugars in the ingredients. always read the labels and stick to the serving sizes on the box. enjoy!
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #5  
I know I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
hi! i'm a vegetarian and i've been on plan for almost 6 months. here is what you can eat:

smart dogs
veggie burgers
non-breaded soy chicken
seitan
tofu
morning star bacon

there are tons of meat alternatives (boca, morning star, quorn, etc.) that you can eat. most are pretty high in protein. just try to keep your servings under 5 net carbs and watch out for sugars in the ingredients. always read the labels and stick to the serving sizes on the box. enjoy!
Thank you this sounds great!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/160/160

Height: 5'4

I've posted b4 about being vegetarian and got no response. Just wondering:

1: how much bacon
2: how do you prepare the seitan

thanks!!
droidgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I am sorry I can't help. I am not sure how many vegetarians we have on the board right now but, if you post this in the daily post or the experienced thread, you might get LONGDIVISION to answer. I believe she did this as a vegetarian.

If not, go up a few posts and you can try to send her a private message by clicking on her user name.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #8  
I know I can

Seitan is the wheat meat. Check on the internet for recipes. They make great cutlets.
We are allowed 5-8 oz of protein for dinner. So check the package of bacon. But, you have to watch the carbs and sugars in everything.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #9  

Default Spaghetti does it have meat?

I'm vegetarian and can't find if the spaghetti has meat in it or not
Femspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Ingredient list: Soy protein concentrate, egg noodles, dehydrated vegetables, sugar, corn starch, hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, sunflower oil, salt, soy fibers, colors (caramel, annatto extract), natural flavors, spices.

Annatto comes from seeds of a tropical plant. No idea what the natural flavors might include.

Neither the Chicken Soup nor the Chicken A La King Pottage have meat, and both of those are non-restricted. The Pottage has little bits of either TVP or seitan floating around in it; I though it was good (albeit a bit bland).

The ones that I have found don't qualify as vegetarian due to gelatin or collagen are the Cran-Pom Drink, the Pina Colada Drink, the Raspberry Jelly, and the Chicken NOODLE Soup. The Orange Drink has canthaxanthin, which MAY be from fish.

What have you been using as a "go to" protein source?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #11  
started IP 3/30/12

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5' 4"

Sounds good. I was pretty much vegetarian , eating lower on the food chain but stopped when I started IP because the vegetarian foods I could eat were not foods I ate normally. I am glad for those who have maintained being vegetarian. I now eat fish and organic chicken or beef.
sanaroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/136/112

The Boca Burgers are great! I do not do well with meat either, although I am fortunate that I am able to eat fish. However, the Quorn products look great also! Good Luck!
Ladyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

I have a question for all the vegetarians out there.

I'll be going into phase 3 this week and wanted to vary my meat choices for lunch and dinner. Right now I'm eating pork, chicken, turkey, and eggs. But I would love to include more vegetarian choices. I've looked into SmartDogs, SmartStrips, Soy Organic Tempeh, Flax Organic Tempeh, and Original Boca Burgers. They all have under 7g net carbs when consuming around 30g of protein. But the calories and fat are higher than normal animal protein.
My skinless chicken breasts are about 150 calories with 1g of fat and no carbs. 3 large eggs have 216 cal and 15g of fat. These alternative meat products range from 140 to 345 calories. Some have up to 16g of fat, too. Most of the products have only 2-4g of net carbs. The sugars are all under 1.5g of sugar so that's good.

In phase 3 would the extra carbs in the meatless products cause another insulin spike? I know the goal of p3 is to have your insuline spike only in the morning for breakfast, so I don't want to mess up the program.

Anyone have any input?
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250?/146.6/160?

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

Default Vegetarian Protein Ideas for Dinner

Okay, so I know if you do a search you can come up with ideas for Vegetarians for their protein for dinner, but it's been a while, and I thought it might be time to do a thread dedicated to it.

As a Vegetarian, we have to pick out proteins that are on the lower end of the carb (so many of our proteins are high carb) and fat scale, and higher in protein (we need to get 30-40g of protein for the dinner meal). Try to find ones that have good fiber in them, so it can counter the carbs (net carbs). And of course watch out for hidden sugars, which had me dumping my favorite products).

The veggie proteins I have used so far are:

* Eggs/Egg Whites
* Bob's Red Mill High Protein TVP (80 cal; 0g fat; 7g carb; 4g Fiber; 12g prot)
* Trader Joe's Organic Sprouted Tofu (80 cal; 5g fat; 1g carb; 1g Fiber; 9g prot)
* Tofu Pups (60 cal; 2.5g fat; 2 g carb; 1g fiber; 8g prot)
* Boca All American Classic Meatless Burgers (90 cal; 2g fat; 6g carb; 6g fiber; 15g protein)
* Westsoy Seitan Strips (120 cal; 2g fat; 4g carb; 1g fiber; 21g prot)
* Tofurkey Oven Roasted Deli Slices (100 cal; 3g fat; 6g carb; 3g fiber; 13g protein

What I've started to do (and it seems to work for me), is since these choices aren't as high in protein as meats, I add in extra egg whites to my shakes to make up for the lesser amount of protein and not add in any fat or carbs.

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of these choices. I really miss beans and nuts and whole grains, and oh yeah, cheese. So if anyone else has found some IP safe Vegetarian proteins, please list them. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #15  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

How about vegetarian tacos or fajitas..using tofu or those protein vege crumbles? I used Morningstar crumbles and they made a good taco.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote