View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
mandalinn82
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ultimately, I think being overweight is a choice. That said, it's not the SAME choice for everyone.

Some people can maintain a healthy weight by eating approximately 2000 good quality calories a day, having a small treat 2-3 times a week, and going to the gym four times a week.

Other people can only maintain a healthy weight by eating 1500 or fewer calories and going to the gym six times a week.

Still others can maintain a healthy weight on non-exercise activity alone or going to the gym once or twice a week.

Some people have to count calories to stay in the right range to get to a healthy weight. Some people tend to gravitate toward a good range for weight maintenance automatically.

Some people can eat starches/carbs in reasonable quantities and still be a healthy weight. Others have bodies that really fight them on that, so to keep a healthy weight, they have to limit them or cut them out.

Making a choice to eat 2000 calories a day of a wide variety of healthy foods and the occasional treat, and go to the gym once or twice a week, is different, IMO, than a choice to eat 1500 calories a day, go to the gym 6 times a week, and skip carbs and treats.

So yes, it's a choice. But there is a genetic/medical/inborn component to how difficult it is to execute that choice for a single individual.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote