Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #1  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Unhappy Anyone not lose because of illness or antibiotics?

I know I've been whining about this here and there, but I'm really starting to get discouraged! I need to find someone else that this has happened to!

I started on P1 on 1/2/13 to loase an additional 10 lbs from my first goal. I have been 100% OP since then. When I started I had a sinus infection and was taking Augmentan. A few days later I was even sicker so I went back to the doctors and they put me on Avelox. In the meantime I found out on this forum (and from my new info sheet on Avelox) that I shouldn't be taking Magnesium, Potassium, or Calcium supplements while taking the antibiotics because it lowers their affectiveness. Of course I WAS taking these, which would explain me not getting better.
I started the Avelox and stopped all my supplements, this was 1 week ago today and have 2 more days to go.
During this time, I actually GAINED 3.5 lbs the first week. Right now I think I'm down maybe 1 lb total.

IP is a pretty restrictive diet to follow. I'm having some MAJOR issues following protocol and not losing all.

So ... has anyone seen this with themselves? Did you lose a large amount after getting better and being off the antibiotics? Did I just totally WASTE 2 weeks of dietting?

Please help me keep the faith here!

This diet
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

I just finished a round of antibiotics and only lost about 1-2lb week, then I had a WHOOSH!!
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #3  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I just finished a round of antibiotics and only lost about 1-2lb week, then I had a WHOOSH!!
Thanks for the hope! I am really hoping for that whoosh!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #4  

Yes this happened to me also. Hope you feel better soon!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #5  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
Yes this happened to me also. Hope you feel better soon!
Thank you - did you have a really big loss the week after being ill or after going off the antibiotics?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I gain weight when I am inflamed. In my case it is the inflammation itself that triggers the weight gain. Short term it is probably just increased fluid retention due to the inflammatory reaction. Certainly on IP there cannot be any gain in fat tissue at the amount of calories you take in. I would not worry.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #7  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I gain weight when I am inflamed. In my case it is the inflammation itself that triggers the weight gain. Short term it is probably just increased fluid retention due to the inflammatory reaction. Certainly on IP there cannot be any gain in fat tissue at the amount of calories you take in. I would not worry.
Yes - my logical side of "1 lb 3500 calories" makes me believe I couldn't possibly have gained any fat weight. I do question of whether I'm losing fat and it's just water ... If I new I was still losing fat and it's simply the inflammation, I probably wouldn't be so upset ....
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #8  

You could be both losing fat and retaining fluid (inflammation) at the same time. Give your body a chance to heal and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

We always talk about losing "weight" but really, we want to lose FAT!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #9  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
You could be both losing fat and retaining fluid (inflammation) at the same time. Give your body a chance to heal and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

We always talk about losing "weight" but really, we want to lose FAT!
Oh I agree - I'll be thrilled if this turns out to be that I'm losing fat but just increased inflammation. I can deal with that!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I was sick from New Years until middle of last week. Scale stayed right around 162. Wouldn't budge even though I was 100%. I took a round of steroids last week and wrapped that up Friday. I weighed in today and had a whoosh of 8 lbs. So, my body made up for it once I started feeling better. I'm sure I must have been retaining water and had some inflammation going on and who knows what the steroids did. I just tried not to think about it with the thought that everything would work itself out once I started feeling better
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Thank you - did you have a really big loss the week after being ill or after going off the antibiotics?
I lost 2 pounds but quite a few inches also. I've noticed lately that I haven't lost much pound wise but my body shape has really changed.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

I had a nasty cold right after Christmas and never really got better. So my awesome cold turned into pneumonia. Needless to say, the feeling of a sumo wrestler sitting on my chest, feeling like i'm not getting enough oxygen in, my chest feeling like it's on fire when i cough, general exhaustion and feeling like crap. When i was on IP before, whenever i was sick, i just cheated and ate "comfort food". I stuck to my guns this time and stayed on protocol. I made myself some chicken and veggie soup and have been dealing. I have noticed that i have gained a pound back and haven't lost any weight in a couple days. I've been drinking a lot of herbal tea and water and have made sure to take all my vitamins. I'm hoping once my body gets back to normal i'll see the "whoosh" you all talk about!
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
I had a nasty cold right after Christmas and never really got better. So my awesome cold turned into pneumonia. Needless to say, the feeling of a sumo wrestler sitting on my chest, feeling like i'm not getting enough oxygen in, my chest feeling like it's on fire when i cough, general exhaustion and feeling like crap. When i was on IP before, whenever i was sick, i just cheated and ate "comfort food". I stuck to my guns this time and stayed on protocol. I made myself some chicken and veggie soup and have been dealing. I have noticed that i have gained a pound back and haven't lost any weight in a couple days. I've been drinking a lot of herbal tea and water and have made sure to take all my vitamins. I'm hoping once my body gets back to normal i'll see the "whoosh" you all talk about!
Its water weight, not fat. Stay off the scale until you are well.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #14  
Keeping it real!

Thank you all!
sahmommy2 - that is what I needed to hear. Today is my last day on antibiotics so I can resume my cal-mags, vitamins, and potassium starting tonight.

Brittstar - I hope you feel better soon ... remember that if you're on any antibiotics, you shouldn't be taking your supplements. My first round of antibiotics didn't work at all because of the magnesium. I found soup to be my comfort food - mixed with veggies and the such.

lisa - I agree it couldn't possibly be fat - my biggest concern that I wasn't losing any additional fat underneath all the water. I see you're approaching onederland! Congratulations! So what's you're gift on goal 5?

WI is today at the clinic -and just from yesterday to today I do feel a little "lighter" so we'll see!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Started feeling better Wednesday and Thursday, woke up this morning feeling AWFUL! I caught whatever my boyfriend brought home from work (head cold) and now i'm right back where i was. I haven't lost any weight in at least a week and i'm getting very frustrated (in fact the scale says i've GAINED two pounds). I know it's because of being sick, but it's annoying. I've been really good about taking vitamins and drinking a ton of water and tea (decaf). I'm pretty sure my immune system is close to dead, considering i've been sick for three weeks. Any suggestions to try and kick this???
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote