Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #1  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

Default Lent

For those of you that recognize Lent season, what will you be giving up?

I usually give up sweets, but now that I am on IP that doesn't apply!

Just wondering what everyone else will be committing to for the next 40 days starting this Ash Wednesday?
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am going to try to give up gossiping. It has been a bad habit I have wanted to break all my life, and now is the time.
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojenchilada View Post
I am going to try to give up gossiping. It has been a bad habit I have wanted to break all my life, and now is the time.
I have done something similar - a 40 day fast from negative talk - about others OR myself. It was a real eye opener!

I know people who have given up coffee, TV, Facebook, games, recreational shopping (she was a major shopaholic, it was a huge thing for her to go 40 days without setting foot in the mall!).

Lenten fasting doesn't have to be food! If you have a bad habit, focus on that. If not, think of something that you covet, something that is not a true "necessity" for survival but you feel like you would have a hard time living without.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 02-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #4  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Cussing.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I have done something similar - a 40 day fast from negative talk - about others OR myself. It was a real eye opener!

I know people who have given up coffee, TV, Facebook, games, recreational shopping (she was a major shopaholic, it was a huge thing for her to go 40 days without setting foot in the mall!).

Lenten fasting doesn't have to be food! If you have a bad habit, focus on that. If not, think of something that you covet, something that is not a true "necessity" for survival but you feel like you would have a hard time living without.
Ooh...negative talk is a good one. Last year, I gave up smoking and saying people are stupid. The second one has turned out to be harder to maintain than the first!
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #6  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Social media - Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest... basically everything except MFP. I spend way too much time glued to my phone and computer, I think this is going to allow me to grow closer to my family and not be so interested in what a bunch of people I may or may not know are thinking.
star19600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #7  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
Cussing.
I totally want to do this too but my husband thinks I'm setting myself up for failure. My cool Staten Island upbringing is deeply engrained lol

I think shopping or gossip/speaking badly of others is something I want to challenge myself to do. And remember no meat on Fridays!

There's a twitter page to give up something each day- @whattogiveup I'll be interested to see what they suggest
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #8  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post
I totally want to do this too but my husband thinks I'm setting myself up for failure. My cool Staten Island upbringing is deeply engrained lol

I think shopping or gossip/speaking badly of others is something I want to challenge myself to do. And remember no meat on Fridays!

There's a twitter page to give up something each day- @whattogiveup I'll be interested to see what they suggest
You don't have to give up things anymore -- you can do acts of service, or also "alms"giving SO if you set your goal for "cussin'" maybe get a "swear jar" and toss in a dollar (quarter?) if you miss your goal. Donate the money when Easter comes -- hopefully it won't be too full!

I think just committing to something OP for 40 days is a big enough challenge for most of us -- getting in that water, taking your vitamins daily.... I know for some it's "old hat" but I have to make that conscious decision daily and that reminds me -- I forgot my evening vitamins again! See?

No meat is also not needed anymore, but you can definitely skip your meal and have an extra packet that day if you want to stick to that.

And make sure you have "IP Crispy Cereal pancakes" on Tuesday (Is Pancake Tuesday a US thing too, or more in Canada??)

Last edited by IP43; 02-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

Canada does pancake tuesday as well.
I am going to give up cussing this year. I swear waaaay to much. But I am going to do a money jar. stick a toonie in a jar everytime i fail. except I am going to be selfish and keep the money. My goal with IP was to look fantastic by June for not only myself but my husband, (even though he says im sexy everyday) for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I want to get back into my size 6 denim capris that are sitting in the back of my closet. We plan on going on vacation. Always wanted to go to California. So I'm going to keep that money and use it for our trip.
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/ x /135

Height: 5'4"

I am giving up pop this year. I only drink 2-3 a week but I just couldn't give it up when starting IP so I'll do it for Lent. I will also try to say 1-2 nice things to someone a day-I am normally a Negative Nelly, so this is my way to try to become a better person.
IPRound2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #11  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post
Canada does pancake tuesday as well.
I am going to give up cussing this year. I swear waaaay to much. But I am going to do a money jar. stick a toonie in a jar everytime i fail. except I am going to be selfish and keep the money. My goal with IP was to look fantastic by June for not only myself but my husband, (even though he says im sexy everyday) for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I want to get back into my size 6 denim capris that are sitting in the back of my closet. We plan on going on vacation. Always wanted to go to California. So I'm going to keep that money and use it for our trip.
I'm not sure that would work for me. If I knew I @#$$ got to keep the @@#@# money, I would probably #$@#@ cuss even more

You should try Rainbow's weekly allowance jar (she had a pic in an earlier post). You put a dollar in for what ever week of the year it is -- Jan and Feb are pretty cheap (week 1 = $1 but week 52 = $52). By the end of one year there is almost $1400 in the jar! I have mine going, and if I have a bit of extra money, I put it into one ofthe more expensive weeks, and check that week off. I know I won't have extra money near Christmas, so got those weeks covered already. It's a fun concept, and will reap me a lovely new wardrobe or trip.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post

LOL as a Wagner College alum and a former resident of Grimes Hill, I can TOTALLY understand the SI thing
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #13  

Im doing the sear jar thing and stopping the negative talk. I have found out that most of my negative talk is towards myself so I am working hard on that. I found a way that works better than replacing the negative thoughts and that is to add positive comments about myself every day and to write them down. I started a few weeks ago and then stopped writing them down and then stopped doing them so I am going back to writing them down again.
I was going to give up my restricted one day a week but my coach just asked me to add one on PT days. Guess I could take one away on a non PT day. Ive got another day to decide on that one.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 168/161/145

Ah,Lent... Opportunity to improve myself. I will attending Friday night services at church. And NO cheating on IP!
320dhart is offline   Reply With Quote