Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Default Which Spanx do you wear?

Which Spanx (or other shapewear) do you prefer?

I bought my first pair of Spanx today and I feel like I totally wasted my money and will never wear them. They're OK except one area. They're the type that's down to the knee plus high waisted (I think) which goes right up under the bust. The legs and under bust area is fine but in the back, omg, it hits my back roll then, well, ROLLS! It actually makes my back look worse. I can't see myself actually wearing these out because I can't walk, sit or MOVE normally without worrying about them rolling down.

So, I'm a shapewear noob. There's another option... right? What's the other option?? I'm apparently not doing this whole thing correctly.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I just recently bought my first shapewear. It's a very tight tank top type with actual bra-cups with underwire; you have to buy your right bra size. I wanted smoothin in my tummy and back area. The back fat rolls bras make drive me insane, and my tummy is a little loose due to all the weight loss.

I'm looking to get some for the lower body but not sure if I want the shorts kind or the longer shorts kind. I've avoided the kind that go all the way up from the bottom. I imagine it's hard to keep them up, plus I imagine the problem you're currently having!

I had bought a pair of spanx once, I wasn't impressed for the money, and that was when I was about 24 years old and 145 pounds, I wasn't needing miracles back then so I knew better than to shell out that much at this point. Some people RAVE about spanx, but man they're SPENDY!!!

Maybe for you something similar to THIS or THIS.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #3  

I like the idea of the ones Stephanie linked but I can never pee right with them on!

These are the ones I buy, I have linked them here before. It's like wearing footless control top tights (I get the Capri length usually). They run about $7-8 a pair and last a few months (pretty much like tights and I don't wear them everyday). I sometimes find them cheaper on eBay. And I always buy the firm control. I really like them.

http://www.leggs.com/shapewear/?list...lhouette=capri
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #4  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I have tried a LOT of shapeware. Many disasters. Some make me look like i have more rolls than I do without them...

With the high-waisted ones, you have to hoist those suckers up so it meets your bra line and somehow prevent it from sliding down. Otherwise you end up with a big ol' roll between the bands. To the OP: Did yours come with a way to attach to your bra? Or to otherwise stay up? My high-waisted Spanx has some attachment to the bra, and my newest one has some ridiculous straps that go all the way up (like suspenders made out of bra-strap material) and I haven't tried that yet, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I often wear a thigh-slimmer (high- or low-waisted) WITH a camisole for double power!

I have had the best success for the money with Flexees (by Maidenform - available lots of places, including sporadically at Ross and sometimes Costco). Here is what I own: (I have finally ditched all the ones that didn't work)
Tank top - love them so much. I pretty much wear them every day. I have several of these. $7 if you can find them at Ross. The torso portion is serious "shapeware material" but the bust portion is just a layer of fabric so it doesn't compress your boobs.
High-waist thigh slimmer (just purchased at Costco for $15. GREAT, except it is really, really hard to pull up - the band that goes under the bra feels like it is going to snap when it is going over my butt.)
Leggings (also purchased at Costco - LAST YEAR - I wish I had bought more. I practically live in them in the winter - under skirts. These are getting worn out from use)

I do have some Spanx that I purchased years ago - at a very high price - and they are still going strong. I used to wear the regular-waisted thigh slimmer (don't know if that is the exact one since mine is old) under almost everything. My only complaint is that it digs a bit at the thigh and gives me "thigh-roll" under clingy slacks or skirts.

I wear the super-duper high-waisted thigh slimmer with the pee-hole (VERY awkward) when I have a really fancy dress to wear. It is a total pain but works really well to keep everything contained.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

You know what's funny, I never even considered the matter of using the rest room in those suckers!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #6  

Lol Stephanie! I thought you knew a secret that I didn't! Or I thought maybe it's because I am quite heavier than you and not as limber in a ladies room trying to wrestle with the "opening" they give you as a convenience. Let me tell you, there is nothing convenient about it! It's hard enough trying to get things done with it in the privacy of your own roomy bathroom, it's downright ridiculous in a tiny public bathroom lol!

And every time I ever wore one like that, I was like a little kid that just put on her snowsuit. Yep, had to pee!

Last edited by elvislover324; 02-07-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
I have tried a LOT of shapeware. Many disasters. Some make me look like i have more rolls than I do without them...

With the high-waisted ones, you have to hoist those suckers up so it meets your bra line and somehow prevent it from sliding down. Otherwise you end up with a big ol' roll between the bands. To the OP: Did yours come with a way to attach to your bra? Or to otherwise stay up? My high-waisted Spanx has some attachment to the bra, and my newest one has some ridiculous straps that go all the way up (like suspenders made out of bra-strap material) and I haven't tried that yet, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I often wear a thigh-slimmer (high- or low-waisted) WITH a camisole for double power!

I have had the best success for the money with Flexees (by Maidenform - available lots of places, including sporadically at Ross and sometimes Costco). Here is what I own: (I have finally ditched all the ones that didn't work)
Tank top - love them so much. I pretty much wear them every day. I have several of these. $7 if you can find them at Ross. The torso portion is serious "shapeware material" but the bust portion is just a layer of fabric so it doesn't compress your boobs.
Oh my gosh, this one really works? i have a spare tire pooch around my belly button that really needs "flattening", not a waist nipper as my waist has pretty good indendation and i've been eyeing the camisoles but just don't want one compressing the bust area but it HAS TO be ultra firm in the upper tummy portion. What size do you get for good compression?

thanks!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #8  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I actually LOVE the high waisted Spanx shorts. I tuck the top of it under my bra strap, and it doesn't budge.

I adore their tights, too - the best, most comfortable tights for the money, IMO. I still have a footless pair I bought for my brother's wedding in 2003. They're too big to do any shaping now, but they're great for warmth.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #9  

Thanks for all the replies!

The Spanx I bought does NOT have a way to attach to my bra. I hoisted them up as much as possible and did try to place it under my bra. It was fine in the front but didn't seem to go high enough to get a good snug fit under my bra in the back. That's where it seemed to roll.

I also have one of those shaper tank top things but it's not enough support on it's own and looks funny with my bras. It makes all the wires poke into me. Plus, it always rolls at the bottom! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just a weird shape.

I looked at those at Kohl's but they only go to an XL and I don't think I could fit. I like the idea of that open bust variety and may see if I can find a good quality non-Spanx brand since those apparently are $80+.

I guess if it doesn't cover my crotch or have straps it's going to roll on me. Greatly limits my options apparently.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #10  

It looks like Kohl's has that full body shaper in plus sizes so I may try that.

Kohl's
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #11  
lpkayak

S/C/G: 287/270/200

Height: 5'3"

i am at a point where i really need just a band around my belly. i have severe OA and can not pull up at all. i hope i find one with velcro. i didnt measure but i am 5'3" and 270 now...so it has to be big. my clothes are 3X.

the hanging skin i have isgiving me pains in chest and back and i really cant ecercise. i will need surgery...but not for at least a year.

any ideas? thx.
lpkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #12  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

I like this brand, which I read about here http://slimpressions.com/

They are pricey but if you sign up for their emails, they have big sales (30-40% off) a few times a year.

I have the Tanks a Little from the "have nots" collections, which allows you to wear your own bra and don't squish your chest. They are long, so they give a nice smooth line all the way down to your hips.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #13  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I wear the spanks ASSETS brand sold at Target -- daily. Wouldn't be without them! I love being "held in." To the OP -- I would suggest their highwaist footless version, in a size 4. That's what I wear, and I think it would work for you. Even with the one you currently have, put it on, then grab a bit of the fabric just above your buttocks and pull up over your behind. You kind of have to get it settled on your body. If you just pull up once from the waist band, it always wants to slide down in the back. Pull it up a little more from the middle of the garment, and see if it won't stay put.

Assets are sold in the hosiery section, in little, flat, blue panty hose type packages hanging on the rack. They have a great weight and height chart that I find is pretty true to size. When I wear something that's not so clingy, sometimes I wear a smaller size down. I feel it compresses a bit more, but there's also more risk of it rolling down in the back.

I really can't say enough good things about these products. I wear the one I described above, the high waist thigh slimmer (with dresses) and their tights. The tights last FOREVER! I'm constantly surprised they haven't run. The products I buy are about $17, but I wear them daily, and they last several months. Even with runs in the legs, I'll keep wearing them. That part is not seen, and it's the top support that's more important to me. Try 'em -- you'll like 'em!

Last edited by AwShucks; 02-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

The best shapewear for me is "heavenly shapewear", I buy them at Burlinton and only cost me $14! It's complete with a bra and under wire. It makes miracles on me and it smooths EVERYTHING! Absolutely love it!
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

I love Flexees by Maidenform! I get them at the outlet store for a great price, usually about 9.99. I have a tank style and another tank style that scoops down to allow you to wear your own bra. It took some used to getting them on though (they are tight!) - hubby had to rescue me the first time because I became totally trapped. He threatened to cut me out of it but I absolutely forbidded him to. It got easier with time!
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote