Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #1  

Default Rant about rudeness

I got up extra early today as I have to get a few things done this morning.

Jumped on my treadmill so I'd have my exercise done for the day and I wouldn't have to worry about it.

In addition to the good cardio workout I got from my treadmill, my blood pressure got an unhealthy rise from the radio talkshow I was listening to.

The host of the show is speaking about a local woman who was in the background of a news conference on tv yesterday. His description of her was "heavyset". Not the woman with the glasses, not the woman with the yellow blazer, not the woman with the blonde hair, not the woman standing behind the mayor. HEAVYSET was the only description he used. Now granted, if you saw the news conference (I did see it before hearing this recap) I know exactly who he was talking about. I don't know her personally but I'd have to imagine that she is so much more of a person than the "heavyset" description. Made me sad for her, for me, for all of us who ever struggled with our weight.

So ok....maybe he's ignorant or has a lack of vocabulary and adjectives, regardless of the fact that he writes newspaper columns and does a radio show.

The next subject that comes up is about being trapped at home in a storm, who would you want to be trapped with for a few days (or NOT be trapped with a few days). The woman on the show says she would not want to be trapped with Joe Biden or Rosie O'Donnell as she can't stand either of them. So I think, fair enough, she's entitled to say whomever she wants. The host responds that he'd take Joe Biden over Rosie any day as she could sit on you and hurt you. WHAT?!??!?! What does that have to do with anything?!

Obviously this man has a problem with women and weight but seriously. I hope his wife or daughter never gain a pound, they might not know what they are in for.

Maybe I am extra sensitive as I would also be called heavyset by him (or worse!) and I guess I could hurt someone if I sit on them.

Just made me sad. My upbeat morning was brought down by a moron. But at least my workout is done and I am continuing my plan to get my weight down.

Sorry for going on and on, I just had all these thoughts in my head.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #2  

That would have made my bp rise as well. It's rude, ignorant, and perpetuates bad stigma.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #3  
Believing

S/C/G: 271/265/150

Height: 5'3

I was trying to think if I used the term "heavyset" when describing people. Truth is, I may have. And yes, I'm heavyset as well. I wouldn't do it in a public venue, however. Yet, I still think that makes me guilty of it. I always describe myself as heavy, too. There are so many shades to the "way" you say something that makes a difference. I do know that if that was said about me from a television clip, I WOULD HAVE BEEN HORRIFIED.

This man sounds like a complete moron. The joke about Rosie has been said 1,000 times. It's a lazy man's comedy.
Natalie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

That kind of stuff can really get my goat too. I hate how it seems so socially acceptable to but overweight/obese people in the "less than" category and its okay/the norm.

I know that a healthy weight is important. And I get the whole social push for trying to get western society to collectively keep weight in a healthy personal range. But I hate that it seems to give some people the idea that "observational" weight judgement are an okay descriptor or isolating factor. *grumble*

Pisses me off.
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Unfortunately, those of us who struggle daily to get healthy or stay there due to weight issues are considered to be the last acceptable group against whom discrimination of all kinds is acceptable. The only positive side to this is that while I have always abhorred anyone who discriminates, it's made me more sensitive to even commonly accepted derogatory terms. I no longer use them and I ask people who do use them to refrain.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

In cases like that, I always remind myself that "heavyset" people can get thinner and healthier, but he'll always be a bigoted idiot.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #7  

Thank you all so much for your comments. I was in a rage when I was typing this morning, my heart was still coming down from my extra workout lol.

I thought about this guy the whole time I was out running my errands.

I am not losing weight or getting healthy for anyone but me (and my DH). But honestly, I was so sad in my heart to think that I just want to be thin enough to disappear from people's radar. I don't want people to notice me at all but I hope when and if they do, it's because I have nice earrings or my eyes look pretty but not the size of my a$$.

I know I am "heavyset" and so was this lady. But we are all so much more than our weight, I just wish everyone knew that.

Thank you for being here for me.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

While I think his overall commentary was rude and ignorant, I do not object to the term "heavyset" to describe an overweight person. I think heavyset is more acceptable than fat.

Does that make sense?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

All you have to do is read the comments on Yahoo (and similar sites) when they do articles on obesity. There are some truly ignorant and cruel people in this world.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
While I think his overall commentary was rude and ignorant, I do not object to the term "heavyset" to describe an overweight person. I think heavyset is more acceptable than fat.

Does that make sense?
Definitely Mozzy. But like I said, he used "heavyset" to point out which lady he was talking about. So not the color of her shirt, not the color of her hair, not whom she was standing next to. The only thing that seemed to identify her was her size.

If she was thin and/or in shape, would he have called her the thin one? I think not.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #11  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Definitely Mozzy. But like I said, he used "heavyset" to point out which lady he was talking about. So not the color of her shirt, not the color of her hair, not whom she was standing next to. The only thing that seemed to identify her was her size.

If she was thin and/or in shape, would he have called her the thin one? I think not.
Agreed!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote