View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
lunarsongbird
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolacrity View Post
"Where's your willpower??" she says. Well, I'm having a hard time with it, obviously.)
My DH has definitely said this to be a number of times. I have thought a lot about will power- and researched it quite a bit, as well.

Take a peek at this video clip from UCSF called, "The Skinny on Obesity"
http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=23717

One of the first thing that Dr. Lustig says in this segment is, "No one can exert willpower over a biochemical drive that goes on every minute of every day of every year." He speculates that sugar has really messed up our dopamine and leptin responses.

Julia Ross, MD in her book, "The Diet Cure"- speculates the same thing:
http://www.dietcure.com/aminoacids.html
When I read the introduction to her book, it absolutely changed my life- and spoke to my very soul:

Almost everyone who has ever come into my office has felt like a failure. “I just don’t seem to have the willpower to stay on a diet anymore” or “I can never stick to the maintenance part of the plan.” Mostly, this is because they crave sweets or starchy carbs and can’t do without them for long. They start with “just a little” and end up eating a lot more than they feel they should. Often their spouses or other family members criticize them, saying, “Why don’t you just try harder?” “If you’d just limit yourself to one . . . ,” which only serves to make them feel even worse about themselves. “I guess they’re right,” they say, “I just don’t have enough self-discipline.” Yet oddly, these same people are usually doing well in every other aspect of their lives. They are effective at work, they keep the bills paid and the checkbook balanced, they organize their children’s lives beautifully. They are actually models of willpower.
We point this out. We remind them that they have lost weight—dozens, sometimes hundreds of times. Truly, there is nothing harder than dieting. Most of those critical spouses and family members could never stand the course of even one diet.

So if it’s not lack of willpower, what is wrong with you? Are you an emotional basket case who can’t get by without comfort food? If you had more strength, could you power through your problems without overeating? Should you feel ashamed of yourself for needing emotional sustenance from foods? No! I hope to help you understand why you are using food as self-medication. It’s not because you are weak willed, it’s because you’re low in

certain brain chemicals. You don’t have enough of the chemicals that should naturally be making you feel emotionally strong and complete.

Can anyone else relate to this? I know I could!

Last edited by lunarsongbird : 02-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote