Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #1  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

Default Hunger pangs.... it's only Day 3

So my hunger has been out of control on IP. I know the first couple of days are the hardest and the first week challenging, but I am waking up in the middle of the night needing to eat something and can't so I've had insomnia.

Even during the day, I'm needing to eating something every 90 minutes because I am so hungry. My doc told me that the food is very filling but I'm not finding that to be true.

Any ideas how to stay on track with the plan and be more satiated throughout the day so I'm not up at night? I know this will subside more when I'm in ketosis too.
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/181/169

Height: 5'5

Eeek- hang in there! I found says 3 & 4 to be the hardest.

Are you drinking plenty of water and eating all your veggies? Possibly have some "free foods" like, lettuce, pickles, 2 egg whites or chicken broth.

I promise it gets a lot easier and some days I am hungrier than others.. Just be patient.
Ilovesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

You can have an extra non-restricted packet/day the first week to help with the hunger! I did the first week and still lost 13 pounds.

Have an extra pudding or drink and hang in there! Also, hot liquids satiate better than cold (tea, decaf coffee)-sometimes I go to Starbucks and get a tall decaf americano and sip on that during the day when I am feeling extra hungry. Just some ideas to help you. Stay on the forum-it keeps you on track and motivated
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Hunger can be tricky - it's not always "real" hunger! Thirst can feel like hunger. There is "mental" hunger" which isn't actual, physical hunger. A few things to try:

- drink a hot tea or a big glass of water. If you aren't hungry 20 minutes later, you were actually thirsty.

- use your unlimited lettuce to its fullest. A bowl of lettuce can put something in your stomach and satisfy the need to chew - and you can have as much romaine, boston/butter or iceberg lettuce as you can take. If the thought of eating a bowl of lettuce doesn't appeal to you - it's probably not "real" hunger.

- Two egg whites are allowed once per day as a "freebie" - an egg white omelet might be the thing to carry you over to your next meal. You can also try one hard boiled egg if needed.

- If all else fails, you can have one extra unrestricted packet in the first week. It's there if you need it.

Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #5  
IP start date 2/4/13

You ladies are fantastic, thank you so much for the help. This is great knowledge.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/211/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm right there with you. I'm on day 3 as well and I've found that I'm starving. This is my second time on IP so I know it will pass, but hang in there. I know it's hard. Try drinking water like scorbett said. I think I've gone through about 3 litres so far! Lettuce is also invaluable!
jlnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 232.2/ticker/132

Height: 5"4"

Wow - I am on Day 3 and feel the same way! This is such a great forum and I have already learned so much about the IP diet. My coach said I could have an extra packet a day OR a hard boiled egg. The xtra packet seems to be working, and she did not say it had to be Non-restricted.
Fabulousatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousatfifty View Post
Wow - I am on Day 3 and feel the same way! This is such a great forum and I have already learned so much about the IP diet. My coach said I could have an extra packet a day OR a hard boiled egg. The xtra packet seems to be working, and she did not say it had to be Non-restricted.
You should only ever have 1 restricted item per day - they are much higher in carbs than the unrestricted packets, and it is the carb counts staying low that keep us in ketosis.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #9  
Alex Michelle

S/C/G: 234/151.8/145

Height: 5'9

People may frown apon this.. but if im hungry or even just in a snacky mood ill have more protein, like some chicken or something. Not sure if there is a costco where your at but they have roast beef thats kinda like deli meat.. your allowed it and when im hungry i have some of that. Its a kirkland brand. Also maybe some tea will help you out!
alexmichelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #10  
IP start date 2/4/13

Alex that's what my coach told me too... to stick with lean protein and maybe an extra cup of coffee.

I've never attempted weight loss without being on some kind of stimulant so this hunger this is all new to me.

It also doesn't help that I work for The Food Network either and visit restaurants everyday.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #11  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

If I don't have access to a packet and I'm really hungry then yes I've gone the route of the extra protein too. If I haven't had dinner yet (with my full 80z) then I will try to reduce my dinner protein later. Sometimes it is my body being hungry early in the day but once I get a certain amount of food, then I'm content with less for my dinner.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #12  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

2 oz of protein earlier in the day seems to help my hunger a LOT. Usually I will subtract it from the 8oz for dinner, but sometimes, especially if it's super lean (like chicken breast or white fish) I will have 10 oz that day. It has not hampered weight loss. Just make sure it's very lean if you add extra.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #13  
Alex Michelle

S/C/G: 234/151.8/145

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post
Alex that's what my coach told me too... to stick with lean protein and maybe an extra cup of coffee.

I've never attempted weight loss without being on some kind of stimulant so this hunger this is all new to me.

It also doesn't help that I work for The Food Network either and visit restaurants everyday.
That would be very tough going to resturants every day! But just remember that its not like youll never be able to eat those yummy foods again it is that once you reach your goal youll be able to have them in moderation.. I always tell myself if I see something yummy that id like to eat that I can have it once I reach my goal weight. Hang in there hun youll reach your goal in no time!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...234-145-a.html
alexmichelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #14  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

It does get better! I found with me it helped to eat my lunch packet (a bar)in between breakfast and lunch (salad) as the morning is when I seem to feel the hunger the most. I also have my nighttime snack at 3:30 instead of after dinner. I find this works the best for me. Plus I always have my water bottle handy and will drink decaf coffee throughout the day sweetened with WF maple syrup. Just take it one day at a time. It would definitely be hard to be visiting restaurants every day.
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousatfifty View Post
Restricted packets are restricted to one per day due to carb counts
My coach said I could have 3-5 packets the first week.
After I got in ketosis I've rarely needed anything extra (unless I'm exercising) but the extra helped at first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post
Are you drinking plenty of water and eating all your veggies? Possibly have some "free foods" like, lettuce, pickles, 2 egg whites or chicken broth.
One note: pickles are a select veggie, counted with the 4 c/day
The only freebie on the sheet is lettuce

The first few days are the hardest. Use those extra packets and don't worry about losing weight. You will! Just stick with the plan!

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-13-2013 at 09:05 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote