Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #1  
Onederland Bound!

S/C/G: 254/Ticker/200

Height: 5'3

Default What do you do when several Drs think their plan is the best plan for you?

I saw my dietician and RPN today and went from just taking insulin at night to now taking insulin at breakfast and at dinner. I'm not happy about it but what can I do? I was taking a long acting at night and I am now going to be taking a mix of long and fast acting at breakfast and dinner. I find it frustrating that I'm trying to lose weight and my dietitian says that to get my diabetes under control I need to eat 150 grams of carbs a day. WHAT? How am I suppose to lose weight eating that many carbs? I am so frustrated because I have 3 different people telling me that I should be doing 3 different diets for 3 different issues and I don't know what to do. I have my dietician and RPN giving me one plan which again includes 150 grams of carbs a day to regulate my diabetes. I have my family Dr giving me a plan with lower carbs (between 75-100 grams) because he says I need to lose weight (obviously) and I have my Oncologist telling me to stay away from white flour, refined sugars among other foods because they feed cancer. So I'm battling trying to lose weight while trying to stabilize my diabetes and stabilize my cancer and it's frustrating because each Dr I see seems to be only concerned with what they are specifically dealing with. I've tried to incorporate advice from each person and kind of made my own diet up but I don't know how successful I'll be at it.
SweetTreat80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

BOth docs plans are in agreement. Go with it, in a sensible way that allows you fats to curb your appetite. Implementation can be hard, but atkins, south beach, paleo diets are healthy and well researched.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Height: 5'4"

Actually the doc that says no white flour or white sugar could be advocating a high carb whole foods diet vs low carb. Not enough info there to tell. I say go with your cancer docs recommendations because cancer is far scarier than obesity or diabetes, but keep your total calories low enough to lose weight too. That will help on all fronts. Ps 150 gms of carbs is 600 calories so I don't think that's too unreasonable. Its no atkins tho lol
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #4  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

You need more care coordination, can you get them together to meet? If you reduce your carb intake you should be able to reduce your insulin use.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #5  
Onederland Bound!

Thanks for the advice here guys. I think my problem is I'm trying to focus on 1 thing at a time, ya know? Like goal #1 is get my glucose under control. Goal # 2 is to lose weight and Goal #3 is to keep my disease stable (as observation is my treatment) While each goal might not be in the order I'm looking to achieve my goals, each of these goals seem to have a different way in achieving them. The insulin is NOT working like it should. I was in the ER last night as my glucose was up to 28.5 despite taking more insulin than I was suppose to. I feel deflated with this insulin to be honest. When I was on pills my insulin was high but never this high.

Last edited by SweetTreat80; 02-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quote:
my insulin was up to 28.5
I think you mean your BGL was up to 28.5.

150 grams of carb should help stabilize things and also allow you to lose weight. Just be sure they are GOOD carbs like the ones in Phase II of South Beach Diet.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #7  
Onederland Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I think you mean your BGL was up to 28.5.

150 grams of carb should help stabilize things and also allow you to lose weight. Just be sure they are GOOD carbs like the ones in Phase II of South Beach Diet.

I did mean glucose and changed that, thanks lol My dietician mentioned 1200 calories and 150 grams of carbs but she also noted I'm not a big eater. When left to my own devices I struggle to eat 900 calories a day and 80 grams of carbs. If I was fat because I was over eating, I'd at least understand why I am such but I just hate eating. Is that odd? I can't be bothered to eat. I've been up for hours and haven't had breakfast because I just don't want to eat but know I have to take my insulin soon and should eat.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #8  
Madeleine

I would have assumed you have had other tests, like thyroid etc. It sounds odd that you don't overeat yet have this weight problem. When did your appetite decrease?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #9  
Onederland Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I would have assumed you have had other tests, like thyroid etc. It sounds odd that you don't overeat yet have this weight problem. When did your appetite decrease?
Don't get me wrong, like any normal human being I have had times where I'm out at a wedding and I indulge, or even at home when it's that time of the month I have ben know to not overeat but just eat all the wrong stuff. But the decreased appetite actually came after my brain surgery which was Oct 2010. Which I wonder if there is any connection to that since I suffered a lot of nerve damage from the surgery. I have had my thyroid tested and that's fine, I just found out that I am vitamin D deficient so that dose has been up'd.

I should note that I'm 32 and have been overweight my whole life and my eating habits were crappy at best when I was a teenager. It's just within the last year and a half or so that I've had a decreased appetite yet it's impossible to lose any decent weight it seems.

Last edited by SweetTreat80; 02-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #10  

OMG, so many carbs >_< Even being on insulin, I can't lose weight eating that many carbs. It sounds like they believe in what the ADA believes... even though it doesn't work for everyone.

I know South Beach has been mentioned twice in this thread... I actually lost 30 lbs on it... maybe try that? I'm doing keto now, and my blood sugars have been awesome. Removing most carbs is super hard though... I struggle almost every day.
alanthiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #11  
Onederland Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanthiana View Post
OMG, so many carbs >_< Even being on insulin, I can't lose weight eating that many carbs. It sounds like they believe in what the ADA believes... even though it doesn't work for everyone.

I know South Beach has been mentioned twice in this thread... I actually lost 30 lbs on it... maybe try that? I'm doing keto now, and my blood sugars have been awesome. Removing most carbs is super hard though... I struggle almost every day.
I think it's alot of carbs too! I have been told "you need carbs to lose weight", fine, but that many?? I've also been told that atkins and other diets that place you in ketosis can be deadly for a diabetic. Grrr. So much conflicting information even within the Drs I see! Right now I'm trying to stick to mostly veg and protein while slipping carbs in here and there. I think that's how I lose weight the best. I do my "official weigh in" on tuesdays to keep track for myself and with doing the above I'm on track to be down 10 lbs in the last 7 weeks so I'd say it's what's working for me the best so far. While to some 10 lbs in 7 weeks might not be alot of weight, I've never lost weight this fast before following Drs orders.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #12  
Madeleine

Atkins is not dangerous for diabetics! Sorry, too much misinformation. With Atkins, you get into ketosis, NOT ketoacidosis, which is a danger for diabetics, mainly with type 1.
Lower carb diets are not only safe for diabetics, they are often the best way to eat. whether you choose to follow a low carb diet or not, the results of your sugars are most important. Also, remember fat has no effect on blood sugars, so you can fill up with fats safely
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #13  
Onederland Bound!

Well I think I won't be returning to my dietician and RPN again. Their solution to everything is "more insulin!". They don't listen to me when I tell them that no matter if I'm on insulin or only pills that for my sugar levels to stabilize I have to stick to a plant based diet with high protein and very low carbs. The more carbs I eat the more my sugar goes up, no matter how much insulin they want to pump into me! Last night was the last dose of insulin that I'm taking and my sugars were 20.9 before bed and 14.9 this morning. When I was on pills while my glucose levels were still high and not ideal they were never more than 12 waking up and yet my family Dr, dietician, RPN and know-it-all mother are telling me that insulin is the way to go. I'm sooo frustrated that no one is listening to me.

Last edited by SweetTreat80; 02-07-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #14  
Madeleine

many of us have found that dietitians are resistant to the science of low carb. good luck to you getting back to lower carb and feeling better
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #15  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

I am following the Metabolic Research Clinic program and it is low car/high protein. It is similar to Atkins to me except you can choose to have a little of acceptable starch or certain fruits at each meal. I like this freedom. I have lost 17.5 lbs in one month. My sugars are much better also. How are you doing now that it is March?
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote